What are the pigeons saying?

Cosd

Our permisions have been quiet for a few weeks now. Last bits of surrounding stubble going, so I would expect the birds to be on the rape soon I hope.

What's the state of play around the country? I'm not seeing many posts of bags, but this doesn't mean much and people could be shooting and not reporting.

What crops are you seeing the birds on?

Cos

Edited by Cosd

i,m curious about the regional difference around the country as well, around our perms i,m struggling to find an acorn this year, last year it was thick with them they were on every oak tree you could find,

so the birds dissapeared from the first week of october never touched the rape through nov,dec,jan, so it ended up the leanest winter i have ever had, had a few goes at them in feb this year 52 bag on it but nothing to note after that but a complete difference this year birds are still on the stubbles in good numbers and looks like they are sticking around that can change from one week to the next, but the signs are there for them using the rape this winter

Edited by yickdaz

This is not a great area for large number of pigeons but I do my best to reduce the numbers that are here.

Recently I have seen good numbers of birds, which is earlier than normal for large flocks to descend to this part of the Cotswolds. I saw a flock of 500 on a wheat stubble drilled with rape about two weeks ago and they stayed there for one day only.

Of late most of the flocks I have seen have all been interested in barley stubble and I shot a good bag (reported elsewhere) on Saturday when I had the ideal combination of barley stubble in three fields and wheat drilling in an adjacent field. All of the shot birds had stubble barley in them. None had acorns, beech mast or hawthorn berries.

Edited by JDog

Supply of insect pollenated stuff will be in short supply across the country due to the weather and lack of bugs at blossom time. Our secret stash of sloes is rubbish - no sloe gin to be made this year. Apple trees have no apples at all - extrapolate and I guess rape may take a real hammering.

In my area the pigeons are on late drillings, hawthorns, clover and in the last week they have been on rape.

Some large flocks about, but the wet weather is breaking them up.

No acorns or beechmast to speak of this year.

The weather is forecast to get colder (and dryer) later this week and that should concentrate the numbers.

Same here down in sunny south Wales mate.Terrible.

There's now't terrible about it Pal, the fact is that loads of acorns and beech mast are every Pigeon shooters worst nightmare, the beggars simply stay in the woods and won't venture out onto the fields where they can be decoyed.

Anyway, it looks like this year could be a mega year for decoying over rape, if you do your homework and find out exactly where the birds are feeding, and make an effort to block off their alternative feeding sites, you could do very well indeed.... :good:

Cat.

There's now't terrible about it Pal, the fact is that loads of acorns and beech mast are every Pigeon shooters worst nightmare, the beggars simply stay in the woods and won't venture out onto the fields where they can be decoyed.

Anyway, it looks like this year could be a mega year for decoying over rape, if you do your homework and find out exactly where the birds are feeding, and make an effort to block off their alternative feeding sites, you could do very well indeed.... :good:

Cat.

If they won't come out of the woods because of acorns etc and you have access to the woods, a well placed banger rope will do the trick to make them head your way I suppose!

Our permisions have been quiet for a few weeks now. Last bits of surrounding stubble going, so I would expect the birds to be on the rape soon I hope.

What's the state of play around the country? I'm not seeing many posts of bags, but this doesn't mean much and people could be shooting and not reporting.

What crops are you seeing the birds on?

Cos

Are you any the wiser after those diverse replies?

farmer told me power lines heavy with pigeon got up there early this morning had a real good day non stop action for a solid two hours then came in dribs and drabs still shot quite a few so one happy bunny. all over wheat that has been left to rot to wet t get in happy shooting