Dorset

digger

Get down to chesil and get at those cod!

If you haven't got your rod get down there anyway, especially if there's a storm. If you look straight out to sea from the middle of chesil beach there's no land between you and Venezuela and when it really blows an hour of that can take years off you. Portland Bill is even better.

we are there a few times a year, in fact only got back a week ago. Cracking place, it's where we wanna end up later in life. Great fishing,scenery and the locals are brilliant, get yourself down dorchester market,bridport and pop into axminster for a meal in HFW river cottage canteen. Visit Durdle door and pop over to chesil, i couldnt just recently coz the wind was to bad to fish there but theres also weymouth pier/wall for fishing

off there on Thurs. Cottage we are in is about two hundred yards fron HFWs original cottage

Out of curiosity, is that anywhere near Slape Manor?

Me and mrs. Fudd were at West Bay early sept. Been going for years Love the place. Float fished the west harbour wall for mackerel. 2 hours from sea to frying pan. That's what I call fresh.

There was an old chap and his wife both pole fishing off the harbour wall. They had their fair share of fish too.

Out of curiosity, is that anywhere near Slape Manor?

Me and mrs. Fudd were at West Bay early sept. Been going for years Love the place. Float fished the west harbour wall for mackerel. 2 hours from sea to frying pan. That's what I call fresh.

There was an old chap and his wife both pole fishing off the harbour wall. They had their fair share of fish too.

A mate who lives in Weymouth takes the kids down Chesil bank on the causeway in the summer with feathering rods and a disposible BBQ. Chuck em on as soon as they've stopped flapping. And if you've fed yourself well you can stay on and fish the night.

I know a couple of lads who were eating fresh mackerel raw on Chesil years before Hugh FW did his mackerel sashimi thing on TV. I've tried it and it is damn good. Tests your filleting skills though.

take a disposible BBQ. Chuck em on as soon as they've stopped flapping.

I'll try that next time we're down there. I usually fish Bexington, Cogden or Hive as we rent a caravan at Gorselands in Swyre. I fancied fishing West Bay harbour for a change as the mackerel were chasing shoals of spratts right under your feet. It was good sport (well easy really) on a light spinning rod and float tackle, instead of catching em 6 at a time on standard beach gear. Otherwise it's usually pouting, doggies or the odd undersized bass are all I seem to catch. Mind you the pouting and doggies are both good eating.

Going back to cooking mackerel, I keep meaning to try the fire on the beach/bucket of boiling seawater method, but havn't got round to it yet.

Edited by Elmer Fudd.

I'll try that next time we're down there. I usually fish Bexington, Cogden or Hive as we rent a caravan at Gorselands in Swyre. I fancied fishing West Bay harbour for a change as the mackerel were chasing shoals of spratts right under your feet. It was good sport (well easy really) on a light spinning rod and float tackle, instead of catching em 6 at a time on standard beach gear. Otherwise it's usually pouting, doggies or the odd undersized bass are all I seem to catch. Mind you the pouting and doggies are both good eating.

Going back to cooking mackerel, I keep meaning to try the fire on the beach/bucket of boiling seawater method, but havn't got round to it yet.

Really nice caravan site that. Try going one better and get the mackerel on a fly rod - absolutely brilliant little fighters and much better as you say than all the tourists murdering hundreds of fish and leaving them on the beach.

Really nice caravan site that. Try going one better and get the mackerel on a fly rod - absolutely brilliant little fighters and much better as you say than all the tourists murdering hundreds of fish and leaving them on the beach.

I heard of locals who have caught bass on flies by Ferrybridge on the causeway at Weymouth. Never tried it. I know Ferrybridge can a pig to fish because of the current and the weed, but the idea certainly appeals. Considerable local knowledge required I should think.

Angling visitors to Dorset should also remember there is a superb angling charter boat fleet operating out of Weymouth, fishing everywhere from Portland Harbour to the Channel Islands. Particularly good wreck fishing.

Dont forget your not too far away from Sportsmans gun centre, worth a visit.

The George Inn in Chardstock,ex137bx.. very very good, Nice toty as well behind the bar, ( do you remember the advert for DD ,double diamond bitter ???) :w00t: :blink: 2 of the biggest plates i have seen for ages.. Mungler heaven, :good: i was going to return a couple of weeks ago, but allas coulnt get the time off work, DAM IT :(