Police Officer ND's in Royal Household

Poacher

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems even those who do know what they are talking about are pious and self righteous :innocent:

Former head of royal protection Dai Davies told BBC Wales it was "extremely difficult" for a gun to be fired accidentally.

"The training is fairly rigorous as you would expect, particularly for royal protection," he said.

"These people carry guns day in day out, discreetly.

"One of the key things to being selected is to pass a rigorous firearms and psychological test to ensure those charged with protecting the royal family are up to it in every single way.

"Over the years, once or twice, accidents do happen."

Mr Davies said human error was a more likely explanation than a malfunctioning weapon.

"Either the safety catch wasn't on or, for some reason, the officer put his finger on the trigger and pulled it because, frankly, that's the only way I know a bullet can be discharged," he said.

Over to you Vipa :)

My 2 penneth.... If your handling firearms day in day out all day long there is always a chance that accidents will happen, thats life. How many times have we seen people trapping there fingers in semi auto shotguns (not as dramatic - but I bet you they didnt mean to do it...) - Oh and by the way its called an unintentional discharge these days....

Unintentional discharge ......... really, the mind boggles. Still, whats in a word if you did it unintentionally its still still negligent. No sympathy would be extended to a civvy shooter and none should be extended to forces or police (am ex forces)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Its all drivel :yes: :yes:

and for the record i use firearms daily,im in date on all weapon handling tests,and i get tested monthly by a firearms instructor,i check zero my personal weapon twice a month,and complete the ACMT every 2 months even though its only required annually :good: so with my "things happen attitude" l seem to be doing just fine,i will run my thinking by a firearms instructor tomorrow at work and i reckon i will be just fine :big_boss: thanks for your input though :lol: BB

I also have a very good freind who's a Thames valley FEO,hes ex armed response,and another freind who was Royal protection both of them have given me references for shooting perms and character references in the past,so i guess if they think im "allowed near firearms" well go figure :good:

Whats your story :hmm: i'm looking forward to your reply :good: BB

Think you may get the award for the most pompous post yet ! :no: Sure you dont care about my opinion though & being pedantic, think you mean you carry firearms daily unless there are a LOT more firearms incidents than reported :) or have an unlimited training budget (unlikely)

Looking at it from the point Harry made I can see how things can go wrong. Cycling the gun before removing the mag is pretty dumb and you wouldn't think anyone would be stupid enough to do it let alone a trained user.

That said I stuck my finger in the blade of my running hedge cutter a few years back and cut the end off. I'm a pro, I use them all the time and do know better. Note to self, that was silly and it hurt. But I did it.....

The interesting thing when you look at penalties etc is these guys go into a job where they effectively have to carry a gun, be easier for them to take desk jobs etc if it gets too silly with accidents loosing you your job and pension etc. Its probably the best argument for not arming the police and certainly if you look to our friends over the water their stats on ND's etc are pretty shocking the fundamentals are though the more guns in circulation with the police the more they will happen.

Think you may get the award for the most pompous post yet ! :no: Sure you dont care about my opinion though & being pedantic, think you mean you carry firearms daily unless there are a LOT more firearms incidents than reported :) or have an unlimited training budget (unlikely)

I think BB has the right context if he is a firearms officer, because he would carry his side arm(strapped to his leg)but his rifle would be stowed most of the time until needed,and to use would also imply it is a tool that is in everyday use.

Looking at it from the point Harry made I can see how things can go wrong. Cycling the gun before removing the mag is pretty dumb and you wouldn't think anyone would be stupid enough to do it let alone a trained user.

That said I stuck my finger in the blade of my running hedge cutter a few years back and cut the end off. I'm a pro, I use them all the time and do know better. Note to self, that was silly and it hurt. But I did it.....

What did you do that for?

One point to note is the police can not be ordered to carry firearms. Every firearms officer in the country could hand in their tickets today and they could do NOTHING about it.

No arv's, firearms teams, royal or diplomatic protection, counter terrorism or airport police, flying squad or instructors.

It is a voulantry thing so if officers got the sack for an ND there would be an exodus.

Harry

One point to note is the police can not be ordered to carry firearms. Every firearms officer in the country could hand in their tickets today and they could do NOTHING about it.

No arv's, firearms teams, royal or diplomatic protection, counter terrorism or airport police, flying squad or instructors.

It is a voulantry thing so if officers got the sack for an ND there would be an exodus.

Harry

When you say got the sack do you mean dismissed from the force or removed from firearms duty ? , just wondering .

Lot of rubbish spouted on this thread as usual . If it was a glock model 17 then an accidental discharge should not have happened . The model 17 is proberbly the safest hand gun in the world ,thats why many law enforcements agencies throughout out the world use this pistol .. The only way a model 17 can be fired is by pulling the trigger . Any body who has shot a glock will know that the trigger pull is long and heavy and absolutely use less as a target pistol .

The safety catch is Incorporated in the trigger itself and the first pressure on the trigger releases the safety . The glock is a double action gun only and is likened to being a 17 shot revolver . No this was not an accidental discharge but a deliberate pull of the trigger .

Harnser .

Harry

I KNOW of one officer SACKED not demoted or moved to another area!! for an ND he set his gun off in the messing facility he was based at FACT not fiction by the way.

KW

Lot of rubbish spouted on this thread as usual . If it was a glock model 17 then an accidental discharge should not have happened . The model 17 is proberbly the safest hand gun in the world ,thats why many law enforcements agencies throughout out the world use this pistol .. The only way a model 17 can be fired is by pulling the trigger . Any body who has shot a glock will know that the trigger pull is long and heavy and absolutely use less as a target pistol .

The safety catch is Incorporated in the trigger itself and the first pressure on the trigger releases the safety . The glock is a double action gun only and is likened to being a 17 shot revolver . No this was not an accidental discharge but a deliberate pull of the trigger .

Harnser .

All true even so the new york police department had their glocks modified because of the number of negligent discharges. New York plus that has a trigger pull weight of 12 lbs.

negligent discharge of a firearm - YouTube

stupid fat cop with a gun - YouTube

PS I didn't title the video.

Edited by ordnance

Unintentional discharge ......... really, the mind boggles. Still, whats in a word if you did it unintentionally its still still negligent. No sympathy would be extended to a civvy shooter and none should be extended to forces or police (am ex forces)

Just out of interest... you are at the 200m range with your SLR (yes, I am that old.... just!) prone and awaiting orders. You are told to load and make ready. you whack a mag in and pull the cocking lever back, let it go and..... BANG... slam fire! what is that? finger no where near the trigger... mechanical issue which is not unheard of... is that a 'negligent' discharge?

Harnser .

What of the photos on the first page Harnser... that was a Glock... that was certainly no 'negligent' discharge unless we start down the route that the person involved should have been more aware of wear on the holster!

Just out of interest... you are at the 200m range with your SLR (yes, I am that old.... just!) prone and awaiting orders. You are told to load and make ready. you whack a mag in and pull the cocking lever back, let it go and..... BANG... slam fire! what is that? finger no where near the trigger... mechanical issue which is not unheard of... is that a 'negligent' discharge?

No that's a mechanical failure in the firearm. :hmm:

Thanks for the compliment :good: i'm not worthy of such an award

And if your going to pick my grammar up,check your own post first :good: you seem to have a stuuuter :P BB

No that's a mechanical failure in the firearm. :hmm:

:good: At last we agree on something,BB

Harnser .

I doubt very much that he intended it to happen.....

I KNOW of one officer SACKED not demoted or moved to another area!! for an ND he set his gun off in the messing facility he was based at FACT not fiction by the way.

KW

I'm sure you are 100% correct and I'm sure people have done stupid things with guns to cause ND's and that could well amount to gross misconduct.

It's more likley the manner of the ND that caused the sacking. I don't think for one minute letting one go in the bag whilst unloading would get you the sack but putting one through the roof of the canteen whilst showing off to your mates might.

Harry