Magpie gets justice

evo

just sorted how to resize my photos to put on here,,and just found these from the summer,,

it started with a commotion going on in my rear garden as you can see my rear garden is 58mtr long and 10mtr wide,perfect for zeroing in my air rifles,,at the end we have a wooded area,,all of a sudden i saw a small bird attacking a magpie in flight when i suddenly seen a small object fall to the floor,it was a small chick,,i walked in the house to get my S410 and when i got to the open back door,,the magpie was on the ground grabbing the chick,,one pop from the 410 and justice was served,,,the magpie had pinched a chick from the nestpost-54056-0-36041600-1352323980_thumb.jpg

Edited by evo

So we're allowed to kill birds just for fun now ? Or to satisfy some imagined "Justice" ?

Go read the general licence. Here's where you can find it : http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Images/wml-gl06_tcm6-24151.pdf

The relevant part reads as follows :

THE PURPOSE(S) FOR WHICH THIS LICENCE APPLIES

1. Subject to paragraph 2 and the licence conditions, this licence is granted to:

(i) Conserve wild birds, and

(ii) Conserve flora and fauna.

WHAT THE LICENCE PERMITS

2. For the purposes set out in paragraph 1 above, and subject to the terms and conditions, below, this

licence permits:

(i) Authorised persons to kill or take any of the wild birds listed at (a) and (B) below, to take, damage

or destroy their nests or to take or destroy their eggs:

followed by a list of the birds allowed.

So, what part of this is being done 'for fun' ?

The licence CLEARLY covers the killing of magpies and other species, and recognises that they are a threat to other species.

Don't want to shoot them, or trap them ? Fine. But don't go having a pop at those of us that REALLY care about conservation, and, instead of whining about it, get up off our backsides and do something about it.

Oh, as an aside. You complain about this, but your profile pic shows a (puppet) red squirrel in a set of crosshairs.

Now, that I can REALLY find offensive, if I chose to be petty about it

Oh, as an aside. You complain about this, but your profile pic shows a (puppet) red squirrel in a set of crosshairs.

Now, that I can REALLY find offensive, if I chose to be petty about it

Isn't that Basil Brush ? He's a fox not a squirrel. Just saying ...

Don't want to shoot them, or trap them ? Fine. But don't go having a pop at those of us that REALLY care about conservation, and, instead of whining about it, get up off our backsides and do something about it.

What annoys me is the idea that somehow a wild bird can be "evil" and that you can dispense "justice" by killing it.

How can people "hate" a magpie ? It's just a wild bird. Comments like "Kill them all" and " hate them with a vengeance" and " the only good magpie is a dead magpie" don't sound very conservation minded to me.

What annoys me is the idea that somehow a wild bird can be "evil" and that you can dispense "justice" by killing it.

How can people "hate" a magpie ? It's just a wild bird. Comments like "Kill them all" and " hate them with a vengeance" and " the only good magpie is a dead magpie" don't sound very conservation minded to me.

And if, by really hammering down the magpie population in an area, you can do wonders for the songbird numbers, then is it conservation-minded ?

Magpies, jackdaws, jays, crows. They all destroy small songbird nests, eat the young and eggs. Killing them (in the hundreds) is an act of conservation.

Yes, I do 'kill them all'. I detest them. Every single one that I kill, I know that a number of finches, tits, sparrows, songthrushes, etc, will have a far better chance of rearing their young. That is wildlife conservation. Just the same as when I go and leave a wild area at the corner/edge of one of my fields, I know that it will lead to more small ground mammals in the area, and that will help birds of prey. Just as when I go berry picking, and I ensure I leave far more than I take. I know that the birds NEED them for the winter, whereas for me they are a luxury and a hobby.

Same when I had a dead tree last year in our top field. We felled it, but instead of burning all the branches on a bonfire, a decent pile was made in the corner of the field, by an area of woodland. This autumn, hedgehogs, fieldmice, and (I think) harvest mice.

Once again, that is real conservation.

Once again, that is real conservation.

Good work. I've done similar for stag beetles, red mason bees, lacewings, wrens etc. etc. and countless other species when I owned a SSSI. You're not the only person who has done it.

You and your chums carry on hating birds, in the same way that people "hate" grey squirrels. Is it simply a justification to kill things ? Or a genuine concern for balancing the species ? Perhaps a bit of both, perhaps not.

I'll leave it there, because really I don't care that much if people shoot birds in their garden, and nobody is going to change anyway, not while the sparrows demand "justice".

I don't "hate" magpies, but will take them out if I have the opportunity. Its a fact they have a devastating effect on the song bird population. I have watched them in my garden systematically working through the hedge as a team. Very effective they are too, nothing left behind them :(

This lot get my goat. :yes:

http://www.againstcorvidtraps.co.uk/corvid-traps/larsen-traps