Should I be worried

ollie

Hi all, little bit of advice needed. My cocker pup is now 13 1/2 weeks and I am a bit concerned that he is going to be very headstrong.

He stays out in the kennel during the day with my Springer Bitch, but when I take him in after work to feed him he goes nuts. Now I know Cockers have a reputation of being mad, but he runs around the kitchen in circles. He will sit and stay if I ask him to do so and he sits & doesn't move until I tell him to when I am feeding him, so I am happy that he wants to learn.

I am just wondering should I nip the running about in the bud when he is young or should I just let him be a pup and have fun. A lot of it is probably him being excited at seeing me after me being at work. I don't want to rush the training too much, as I want to bond with him and be a friend first and foremost.

Any advice would be great.

I personally would not worry, he is a spaniel! My sprocker does laps of the garden in excitement when I let hem out of the run, does laps of the house when he gets to come in and does spins on the spot when we are getting his food ready. As soon as it comes to 'work' he is a completely different dog will walk perfectly on heel, perfect recall and stop.

At his age I would just be bonding wth him and doing very basic training, he is still a puppy.

I personally would not worry, he is a spaniel! My sprocker does laps of the garden in excitement when I let hem out of the run, does laps of the house when he gets to come in and does spins on the spot when we are getting his food ready. As soon as it comes to 'work' he is a completely different dog will walk perfectly on heel, perfect recall and stop.

At his age I would just be bonding wth him and doing very basic training, he is still a puppy.

as above mate spot on

And my cocker, he has his mad 5 minutes running at full pelt around the house and spin-jumping on the spot when he gets excited about a treat or ball. He has never done this outside though. He does plenty else wrong (he is only 1) but he is off to see Simon Tyers this week so hopefully he will be transformed by next season lol!

My Cockers 2 and does about ten laps of the kitchen table when I let him out of the crate in the morning before going outside.

Does the same if I go out and return a short time later, just excitement. Different dog when he is working though. I would let your dog just be a pup for the time being and enjoy it, as they grow up soon enough.

No, just stop feeding him in the kitchen if it upsets you that much. A spaniel should be encouraged to run round like a mad dog gone mad. You don't want to kill his drive and enthusiasm you need to channel it when his training starts. My 12week springer does the same, infact she never settles running, chewing, jumping, chewing, crashing though every hedge in the garden, chewing constantly till she's back in the crate. Then she lies down and chills out.

No, just stop feeding him in the kitchen if it upsets you that much. A spaniel should be encouraged to run round like a mad dog gone mad. You don't want to kill his drive and enthusiasm you need to channel it when his training starts. My 12week springer does the same, infact she never settles running, chewing, jumping, chewing, crashing though every hedge in the garden, chewing constantly till she's back in the crate. Then she lies down and chills out.

Doesn't upset me in the slightest, in fact, it is quite funny when he runs down the hall and going flying into the curtain because he can't get stopped on the wooden floor.

I am just worried that when it comes to training him he won't listen because he is that used to running around like a half wit.

Hi all, little bit of advice needed. My cocker pup is now 13 1/2 weeks and I am a bit concerned that he is going to be very headstrong.

He stays out in the kennel during the day with my Springer Bitch, but when I take him in after work to feed him he goes nuts. Now I know Cockers have a reputation of being mad, but he runs around the kitchen in circles. He will sit and stay if I ask him to do so and he sits & doesn't move until I tell him to when I am feeding him, so I am happy that he wants to learn.

I am just wondering should I nip the running about in the bud when he is young or should I just let him be a pup and have fun. A lot of it is probably him being excited at seeing me after me being at work. I don't want to rush the training too much, as I want to bond with him and be a friend first and foremost.

Any advice would be great.

He's a Cocker ..... Nuff said.

DaveL

good advice only had cockers for 30 years do everything I need them to.Do not rush training,keep on top of them but are more sensative than some other breeds so will get into your heart I try always to keep them close when young as soon as they get to a position that if some thing got up I couldnt shoot it I get them back.To many let them get used to being to far away then are surprised when they can not keep them close.An old long gone shooter told me once and he was right You will get more from kindness than the big stick he was right

I

I would say the key here is the fact that at 13 1/2 weeks it is in the kennel without any human contact all day he needs that "mad" 10 mins to settle him down as he so pleased to see you.

just wait till it calms down after its mad spell before you start any training, all my best dogs have been the ones I have been able to spend the most TIME on.

I think one of the reasons I am most concerned, is that, when I took him to the Vet for his first jab, the Vet proceeded to tell me that I have to stay on top of the pup as it is a Black Cocker and they can be very dominating. This is the first Cocker I have owned, do any of you know if there is any truth in this?

Nothing wrong on no account push formal training onto him especially when he is in this state though. would you teach higher maths to a 5 yr old child just before sitting down to cupcakes, jelly and ice cream at a party? He is only 13 weeks some dogs aint ready for too much training till they are a year old, play training only IMO until you see some lights go on.

I think one of the reasons I am most concerned, is that, when I took him to the Vet for his first jab, the Vet proceeded to tell me that I have to stay on top of the pup as it is a Black Cocker and they can be very dominating. This is the first Cocker I have owned, do any of you know if there is any truth in this?

get a new vet- colour is meaningless in any breeds behavour, the guys a fool !

or the vet just knew his cockers and the colour was irrelevant, what he was saying does make sense. They are a dog that will test you and you have to be strict with, we have a number out beating with us each week and they are all the same typical spaniels that will push you as far as they think they can get away with. But it is very young at the moment so although you start as you mean to go on its far from time to worry.

Edited by al4x

Nothing wrong on no account push formal training onto him especially when he is in this state though. would you teach higher maths to a 5 yr old child just before sitting down to cupcakes, jelly and ice cream at a party? He is only 13 weeks some dogs aint ready for too much training till they are a year old, play training only IMO until you see some lights go on.

get a new vet- colour is meaningless in any breeds behavour, the guys a fool !

I would agree BUT how do we explain a chocolate lab ?

As for the pup,if it only does 5 laps of the kitchen when it is 13 weeks old take it to a vet as it should be doing at least 15 !

I would agree BUT how do we explain a chocolate lab ?

As for the pup,if it only does 5 laps of the kitchen when it is 13 weeks old take it to a vet as it should be doing at least 15 !

we dont John Halstead made one up i think and i have two good mates that also own good working chocolate labs that are totally unrelated. At one time it was a prefered colour of the show lines, but the colour exists in both being a yellow and black gene mix. there is all sort of BS about colour " black labs are more gental" , "black and white springers have hard mouths" i am not saying these things never occur but the dogs colour aint a factor in anything but its colour. My lab is dark yellow, his litter mates were black - like i say meaningless

or the vet just knew his cockers and the colour was irrelevant, what he was saying does make sense. They are a dog that will test you and you have to be strict with, we have a number out beating with us each week and they are all the same typical spaniels that will push you as far as they think they can get away with. But it is very young at the moment so although you start as you mean to go on its far from time to worry.

Well known as they will have a go at out thinking thier owners, to be honest some owners don't take a lot of out thinking! LOL- sounds like he was pretty specific about the "black" ones to me though

we dont John Halstead made one up i think and i have two good mates that also own good working chocolate labs that are totally unrelated. At one time it was a prefered colour of the show lines, but the colour exists in both being a yellow and black gene mix. there is all sort of BS about colour " black labs are more gental" , "black and white springers have hard mouths" i am not saying these things never occur but the dogs colour aint a factor in anything but its colour. My lab is dark yellow, his litter mates were black - like i say meaningless

I have never a seen a "good" working choc lab !

To be fair i have not seen many "working" choc labs never mind good ones,but the ones i have seen in a working environment have not been to clever.

Having said that i think a dog is what you make it....poor training gets poor results.

IF YOU DON'T MIND THE PUP FLYING ABOUT THEN LET IT but don't try to give it commands or shout at it when it doing this as it will learn to switch off from you.When you have got the sit lesson with hand held high installed then you can stop the pup with this command but try and wait until you think the pup is about to stop by itself anyway . Best advice let it be a pup first.

Well known as they will have a go at out thinking thier owners, to be honest some owners don't take a lot of out thinking! LOL- sounds like he was pretty specific about the "black" ones to me though

He said to me that the Cockers which have a Solid colour (i.e. no white on them) are very dominating. He said specifically Ruby and Black Cockers were the worst offenders. I think he may have been trying to get me talked round to enrolling the pup in a doggy class (no chance).

Is he a local this vet? I've an Irish relative who talks some bull poop and thats right up there with the best of his :good:

It is a local vets practise, but I hate to say this but he is actually an English fellow :lol: . I'll not be asking any advice from him again.

He said to me that the Cockers which have a Solid colour (i.e. no white on them) are very dominating. He said specifically Ruby and Black Cockers were the worst offenders. I think he may have been trying to get me talked round to enrolling the pup in a doggy class (no chance).

i am wishing to quote from mr Meldrews lines now but the swear filter would not allow it. I wonder if he is a real vet or one of those walter mitty types you hear of that pop up now and again? or Perchance he likes the Bushmills too much?

I have never a seen a "good" working choc lab !

To be fair i have not seen many "working" choc labs never mind good ones,but the ones i have seen in a working environment have not been to clever.

Having said that i think a dog is what you make it....poor training gets poor results.

Its just down to either your prejudices or limited experiance. Like i say its just a mixed colour gene not a working one,