conclusion to 22 long range shot

la bala

Hi Lads, I will probably get slated over this, but i will tell the story anyway. I have had Hawke 6x24x50 with sr12 reticule on my cz 452 for some time now. I downloaded the software and printed myself a couple of range charts in 12 and 24 mag. Over the past couple of months i have been pushing the boundaries and confidently killing rabbits out to 120yds. Today i pulled in the farmyard and was asked by the farmer not to drive down the grass field to get to the winter wheat, with the amount of rain we have had i had to agree with him. Now i had a problem, it had put a further 70yds on any shots. I didnt have to wait long before 2 rabbits came out of the ditch, they were in line close together, i checked them three times with the range finder, it was showing 194yds the nearest one and 195yds the furthest. I put the scope on 12 mag, went to the bottom line on the sr12 reticule which is 195yds, i squeezed off on the furthest one and it rolled over dead. Now there will be some that may shout fluke, but i ranged it, i scoped it, and i felt confident with the shot. i am buzzing, all with a good old cz 452 22.

well done,you will probably get some stick as you say but if your confident in the shot ,go for it.I can manage head shots on bunnies to 100yds confidently,the furthest ive managed was 136yds,and if i hadnt have been confident of that shot i would not have taken it ,the .22 i think is very underestimated in what it is capable of, if you get to know the gun and scope with practice long shots are quite possible with the right conditions.

I used to use the hmr for 80yd + shots but after watching a vid and talking to cooter on here i started useing and practicing with the .22 more and must say now it is my go for gun rather than the hmr,there will be conflickting views on this but everybody to there own

atb dave

Again, you might (read will) get a bashing, way out of my norm for shooting, I use wmr and hmr and don't shoot that far, if its not a fluke, good shot.

In my opinion, and really my own opnion, I have no issues or care what other people do really, I'm not into 'pushing the boundaries', I just control rabbit on our farm, if that means a 30 yards shot on a young one with the magnum, so be it.

Not to say you aren't capable of making a shot like that, but in my experience there are too many variables involved when shooting a .22lr at ranges greater than 100 meters. Say for example you fired 50 shots at a target at 50 yards. Would all the shots go through the same hole? Chances are they wont. If you get a half inch group at that range, what will your groups look like at 150 or 200 yards? Even if the gun was 1 MOA, 1" is all it takes to wound rather than to dispatch cleanly.

Nice shooting I have made a range drop chart and stuck it into

The back of my flip up scope cover only out 120tho till I lern the drop

@200yrds tho that must be some drop fair play ,

Has for keyholeing on bigger cals . So some of you guys think that you wouldint

Take a 200yrd shot because you think you can't keyhole or get it within a 10p coin

What's the real-world accuracy required for a rabbit ? I reckon 2" will just do for a chest shot with HMR, smaller with 22LR, but I got stick on another thread for complaining about a shot that required something like 42" of windage and was blowing a gusty gale.

Be honest, what's your idea of acceptable risk of missing / wounding ?

You should limit your range to the distance you can consistently hit two inch group. I f you can do that at 190 yds then fair enough.

How many people do you know that can group a .22lr at 200 yards within 2"? If you practice until you can consistently hit within the sizes of the critical kill zones of your quarry, you are doing your bit to ensure a humane kill. The rest lies with your equipment. If you are 30 yards away and you wound your quarry due to a squib round (for an example), it's going to be easier and faster to get off a follow up shot. At 200 yards you run the risk of the quarry escaping. The bullet will have lost considerably more energy at that range, and will take longer to reach it's target.

How many people do you know that can group a .22lr at 200 yards within 2"? If you practice until you can consistently hit within the sizes of the critical kill zones of your quarry, you are doing your bit to ensure a humane kill. The rest lies with your equipment. If you are 30 yards away and you wound your quarry due to a squib round (for an example), it's going to be easier and faster to get off a follow up shot. At 200 yards you run the risk of the quarry escaping. The bullet will have lost considerably more energy at that range, and will take longer to reach it's target.

I think more distant rabbits are likely to sit while you get a second shot.

A 30 yard rabbit can probably see you and soon runs off.

I wouldnt trust a hawke scope for dialing in any range. I had the SR12 on my hmr for a bit, fine if left at 12mag but if I went up or down on the mag it would alter the POI. I sent it back and was checked over but the problem still remained. At long range you need a better quality scope for sure.

Good for you pal. Each to the own I suppose.

I find more and more of my shots are being taken free hand ( might have something to do with all the water on the ground at the min) so I stick around the zero 45 yard :)

That's my comfort zone with a nice rest that will go up but not by much if its distance I need I bring the hornet because I have one.

I would like to thank all you guys for your comments and replies, I didnt give you any bull...., i gave you the facts as they were, but under the circumstances after reading your comments i think we will have to conclude it was a fluke. But Hey, have you lot ever seen the film Shooter, he downed a baddy at 200 yds with a .22, i was only 5yds behind him :lol: :lol: :lol: . Thanks again lads, happy shooting.

To be fair, if you can consistently hit a target at that range (and by consistent, I suppose I mean 75%+), then, if your gun has the power to kill at those ranges, and you have a safe backstop, you have the right to take those shots.

We regularly see people posting here who have shot 50 pigeons for 80/120/150 cartridges, they are nowhere near that level of accuracy. I was taught (many years ago) that a minimum acceptable kill rate for shotguns on pigeons was 1/3. That's why I go clay shooting, to improve my accuracy and skills.

Personally (and this is not a criticism of your shot, in any way at all), with no wind, a nice clear target, a very good backstop, and plenty of practice, to ensure I knew the exact bullet behaviour at lots of different distances, and using very consistent ammo, I wouldn't want to take a shot at a rabbit with a .22 at much more than 125-130 yards. I reckon I could quite comfortably do 2" groups on paper at 200 yards though.

It's only a fluke if you can't repeat it.

I would like to thank all you guys for your comments and replies, I didnt give you any bull...., i gave you the facts as they were, but under the circumstances after reading your comments i think we will have to conclude it was a fluke. But Hey, have you lot ever seen the film Shooter, he downed a baddy at 200 yds with a .22, i was only 5yds behind him :lol: :lol: :lol: . Thanks again lads, happy shooting.

Yes, the same 200 yards as the fisheman use.....,it was way under 100, oh, and its a film remember, not a documentary! :good::lol:

What did you think of his Moderator? :hmm:

:good: :good: :good:

Ok you beat me, I had a baby bunny at 192 yards a couple of years ago with the 452 and Magtech subs, it was Monday, and I had spent the Sunday at Bisley whacking the .22lr off at 200 yards.

The shot presented and I thought I would give it a go, it worked because of the overall situation, it's not something I would normally ever think about, frankly its something I wouldn't even consider on a regular basis for the HMR.

The time the place and the situation came together, it doesn't turn the .22lr into a 192 yard bunny gun though! :good:

Ok you beat me, I had a baby bunny at 192 yards a couple of years ago with the 452 and Magtech subs, it was Monday, and I had spent the Sunday at Bisley whacking the .22lr off at 200 yards.

The shot presented and I thought I would give it a go, it worked because of the overall situation, it's not something I would normally ever think about, frankly its something I wouldn't even consider on a regular basis for the HMR.

The time the place and the situation came together, it doesn't turn the .22lr into a 192 yard bunny gun though! :good:

you said it in one Deckers, the time and the place, and everything felt right. i wont be making a habit of it. :good:

You all talk about the drop but at longer ranges with any calibre, (but more so with a .22), its the wind that becomes the critical variable. very hard to estimate the wind that accurately.

Understood, in fact I mentioned a shot with 42" windage in this thread. It's impossible to be consistently on target with a gusting wind of that strength, but don't mention it on PW :no:

Dancake. How many people do you know that can group a .22lr at 200 yards within 2"?

I f you can do that at 190 yds then fair enough.

That's my point no one i know. I was being sarcastic i am obviously out of practice if you didn't get it. :rolleyes:

Edited by ordnance