A bit amateur, but 4wd or snow tyres

NobbyHall

Some advice please. I drive a skoda yeti 2wd and almost all driving is on road, but have used it off road in the drier months along (somemfairly rough) farm tracks. No problems as has excellent ground clearance. So you would think little need for a 4wd. However in winter often cannot get to a cleared main road. I am a bit reluctant to trade or sell the car as have had from new, still under extended warranty, no problems and good mpg. Could anyone advise on a good performing snow tyre, for improved road grip, or, should I bite the bullet and go for 4wd. Considering Yeti, CRV and Freelander diesels? Suggestions please .......

Winter tyres. All 4 wheels, never just the driven wheels. Depending on the wheel size you are on, you might want to consider a smaller wheel (steel, for cheapness) and a complete set. Basically, the smaller the wheel, the greater the tyre can flex, adding to grip. 18" alloys are **** for winter, basically

Winter tyres. All 4 wheels, never just the driven wheels. Depending on the wheel size you are on, you might want to consider a smaller wheel (steel, for cheapness) and a complete set. Basically, the smaller the wheel, the greater the tyre can flex, adding to grip. 18" alloys are **** for winter, basically

I'm curious as to why all four are better than just the driven two, I know little about these things.

Another shout for winter tyres. I have a 4x4 (Chelsea tractor due to 30k a year plus motorway miles).

I bought a second set of alloys off fleabay the same size as my originals (so not to change ride height etc).

Fitted Vredestein wintrac extreme tyres as recommended on here, they are great in snow, ice, frost etc.

My wife has a 2wd yeti, and the traction control really stops it in winter, it stops it being able to rev as soon as it has a slight spin, so looses momentum. Last winter i regularly had to tow it with the landy with really minimal snow. Once we turned off the traction control and let the engine use its power, even for a second or so it was actually quite well behaved in bad snow. Ok, it is not like the 110, with off road tyres, but it was quite adequate for the roads in Aberdeenshire.

Winter tyres, I'm on my 3rd winter with them on 2 different cars, both front wheel drive. In the snow last year I was getting up hills that had 4x4s stuck on them (presumably just with road tyres) it's quite a good feeling to over take a range rover that's spinning all 4 wheels at the bottom of a snowy hill!

I'm curious as to why all four are better than just the driven two, I know little about these things.

Basically, winter tyres stay pliable at lower temperatures, so are grippier in frost, snow, etc.

Now imagine having grippier (and a lot grippier) tyres on the back, compared to the front, and going around corners.

Same applies if the tyres are on the front

Winter tyres, I'm on my 3rd winter with them on 2 different cars, both front wheel drive. In the snow last year I was getting up hills that had 4x4s stuck on them (presumably just with road tyres) it's quite a good feeling to over take a range rover that's spinning all 4 wheels at the bottom of a snowy hill!

Yup, and I'll bet you anything that the stuck 4x4s probably had these silly huge bling alloys on them too. Smaller wheel = larger profile tyre = more flex in the tyre. In low grip, flex is your friend

Dedicated snow tyres! We drove to the top of Norway earlier this year with Pirelli scorpion snow and ice tyres on the L200. We only put the car into 4wd twice on severe mountain descents for a bit more control should we require it. Not once did we slide and always had traction. We even tested them under hard braking from 60mph in a large layby on hard packed snow and ice. No sliding just a very controlled stop. They even pulled us out of a 12" deep snowed over car park with no effort or bother and I think that was in 2wd.

They take a bit of time to gain trust in them but once you do you soon realise you can drive relatively normal provided you are driving carefully and not like a muppet who thinks he's suddenly invincible. Ours were on 18" alloys but it's better to stick them on some cheap steels which won't get damaged by salted roads and saves you the hassle of going to the tyre place to have them swapped over. Just stick them on when the weather turns and dry store your summer tyres in the garage.

Dont buy a freelander, they have the same poor reputation as the rest of the land rover models. Look online at the horror stories

Unfortunately, I have to agree. A family member has recently (in the last 3 months) purchased a 'approved used' freelander, 2 years old. I was quite horrified when I read what is actually not included in their warranty.

To me, it shows a serious lack of belief in the product they sell

I've got a jimny and a van and it's difficult to justify both so I've decided to sell the Jimny and put a pair of these on the front of the Berlingo for the odd trip into a muddy field gateway or bit of stubble. Hoping they'll be man enough for that.

Got a pair of these on my caddy pickup massive improvment over the roads tyres on the mud and feel more grippy on the road too , rumble alittle bit thou