Which 17HMR?

grimey121uk

I have posted off my FAC application yesterday in which I applied for a 22LR and 17HMR although I think I have made my mind up on a HMR due to the increased range and accuracy.

The question is which 17HMR to go for and which accessories will I need?

Ideally I want a 17HMR, with scope, bipod and moderator.

Currently I have been looking at CZ (possibly 452 Silhouette in 20") as they seem reasonably priced yet seem to get really good reviews, although on closer inspection there appears to be plenty of models and to be honest I am not sure what the difference is.

I understand that "fit" is important but I would like some help in narrowing down the choice, It will be used for rabbit shooting on 500 acres of land which is mainly open but does have some woodland.

On top of a rifle I need a decent scope, what kind of magnification is recommended? Although scope wise I may have to go with a cheaper option (£100 max) and upgrade at a later date!

Any reccomendations on bipod and moderator would also be useful.

I have a maximum budget of £700 however I also need to buy a gun cabinet too!

Edited by grimey121uk

the cz will suit you down to the ground, as said don't discount second hand ones and if you look for a whole setup there are some bargains about. Scope wise if you don't get one with a package have a look at MTC offerings and as for zoom I've got a 4-16x50 on mine and it does the job nicely

You won't go wrong with the CZ. I have a 452 Varmint with the 16" barrel and an MTC 4-16x50 Taipan sits on top. Of course there are much better scopes out there but it does the job and is fine for the ranges at which you will use an HMR. On reflection i wish i had just got the CZ American with the standard 16" barrel rather than the heavy barrel Varmint. It offers no real advantages over the standard barrel and its much heavier to carry around. Something to bare in mind. An accurate rifle all the same though. Good luck :good:

ATB,

pat

CZ varmint, Simmons WTC 6-20x50 and DM80 mod. The soup dragon has this combo and it's awesome. She shoots better than me with it.

On saying that, we can all throw our opinions into the hat but in the end it's whatever rifle feels right for YOU and you're the only person that can answer that. get out to a few gunshops and have a feel of a variety of makes, then decide.

Bipod-wise, has to be Harris. The copies out there are good but not of the same quality of build. And go for the lowest that you can get behind prone.

I have a CZ452 American 16" topped with a Leupold VX2 scope and the usuall moderator, bipod and sling I cant fault it, devastatingly accurate, I bought it new, and as said in previous posts you do have to run them in to achieve best accuracy.

Alan

CZ varmint, Simmons WTC 6-20x50 and DM80 mod. The soup dragon has this combo and it's awesome. She shoots better than me with it.

On saying that, we can all throw our opinions into the hat but in the end it's whatever rifle feels right for YOU and you're the only person that can answer that. get out to a few gunshops and have a feel of a variety of makes, then decide.

Bipod-wise, has to be Harris. The copies out there are good but not of the same quality of build. And go for the lowest that you can get behind prone.

Virtually the identical set up to mine!

Apart from I've got a sak mod on mine, it's an awesome combo :good:

Same set up as mine in both .22 and 17hmr....no issues and deadly on small vermin..

I can't recommend the T-Bolt by Browning enough!! I have had it about a year now and absolutely love it!! The synthetic stock gives you a spare 10round mag in the butt. Straight pull action increases successive shot rate and generally is a really solid rifle with some trigger adjustability. Would recommend you have a good look at it.

Here are a few links to other pages worth a read: http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/214529-cz455-17hmr/page__p__1840872__fromsearch__1#entry1840872

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/214277-what-rifle-looking-to-apply/page__p__1838551__fromsearch__1#entry1838551

I would go for the CZ455 over the CZ452 given the choice again, though they both shoot great. Can't go wrong with a CZ.

Good comparison here http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=32042.0

If you have extra cash to burn the Anschutz 1517 has a superb finish and lovely trigger. Which I would prefer over a Savage/Browning personally, there is a reason they are the world leaders in rimfire target rifles, only downside is no 10 shot magazines.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/530395/17_HMR_boltaction_rifle_tests.html