Welders flash

gixer1

It's fairly common to tack up without a mask and then run welds - or as I did when welding rusty cars the weld run is short or it just a series of tacks (morse code welding - lots of dots and dashes! :lol:) which means the mask is up and down constantly...the reactive mask is the way to go....but hindsight is 20/20 as they say!

Trust me - it was not intentional as everytime I've had it I curse my stupidity! Same with the "welders suntan" :(

Regards,

Gixer

Is it through not using a filter, or like said, would a clear filter not work like glasses. Id be too frightened of doing some long lasting damage.

I would suggest that you do not put your theory to the test as you will painfully discover you are wrong.

I had arc eye from wearing a mask,but being the idiot i am i had changed the lens and put a lower filter in by mistake,so i was still filtering but not enough,24 hours of pain.

The best way to avoid arc eye is to wear an light reactive mask,which is what i bought the very next day.

Its no theory, its proven safety standard for most fabrication shops and has been for years. You are correct that it will not stop damage to the eyes due to prolonged exposure with the wrong shade lens. It will however stop you or people round you getting a 'flash'

Them fancy pants reactalite masks are great right up until the point you drop something heavy on them ! Plus they are expensive and i am as tight as a ducks **** !!

I have been type 2 Diabetic for the last 6 years so i have to go for a full sight test every year.

They take photos of the inside of my eyes with a machine.

What amazed me was the bloke doing the test said have you been a welder at some time in your life.

I said yes 40 years ago I started out as apprentice welder.

He said yes i can see damage that has healed but has left scares on your Retinas that look about 40 years old.

Get yourself a light reactive mask. You can`t put a price on your eyesight. £40 of ebay.

Get some fanny batter on em dosent sting, best lube you can get and takes your mind off it.

Seriously wear clear safety specs they are all uv rated, never had a flash on site since legislation made it compulsary to wear them. It won't stop the damage from the brightness of light just the uv part.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

A question from a non welder - does welding with gas pose the same risks?

I specifically recall that BA off the A-Team always welded with gas (in the last 15 minutes they'd turn a sit on lawn mover into an amphibious tank) and we never saw him having a big moan up / lie down after doing a bit of welding.

I specifically recall that BA off the A-Team always welded with gas (in the last 15 minutes they'd turn a sit on lawn mover into an amphibious tank) and we never saw him having a big moan up / lie down after doing a bit of welding.

The answer is no gas welding does not pose the same risk's as electric welding !

Note: Under no circumstances rely on clear lense glasses they will not prevent arc eye !

Edited by lumpy

The eye gets a new covering while we sleep, true arc eye prevents this layer forming and the Cold tea bags are about the best you can do. its just like eyes full of sand.

Gases used in welding are not toxic but those given off by things like Zinc galvanising, paint etc are or can be very hazardous and I had a mate loose a lung through it on a job.

the UV burns to your skin created by the eclectic arc can also lead to skin cancer they are far more potent and powerful than any sunbed. Increased arc length increases these dangers (such as spray transference with mig)

the trick is cover up (no matter how warm it is) wear a mask and gloves and consider ventilation or extraction were possible or clean up the weld sight well with a grinder first and at least wear a mask. Flash seems to get you easier from the side than looking directly at it, not sure why

The answer is no gas welding does not pose the same risk's as electric welding !

Note: Under no circumstances rely on clear lense glasses they will not prevent arc eye !

Yes they will so long as your not welding in the bloody things and not using a screen, you can also buy anti flash glasses with a slight tint.

I work with welders all day long being a Pipefitter and its what I'm issued with and reley on as well as the hundreds of others on the job, never had a flash in years due to wearing them. The only reason gixer has a flash is hasn't closed his eyes quick enough or turned head away enough to protect eyes. If the clear safety specs didn't work we wouldn't be issued them. Theese days its mainly welders who get a flash as most won't wear lep under their screens and get a flash when they lift it and others welding near by.

Figgy

No, it's worse.

It doesn't give arc-eye, which is what you get from electric (arc) welding, but it causes permanent damage instead.

The horrible sandy feeling from arc-eye leaves after a while, and no permanent damage is done - within reason. Keep welding with gas and you won't get the pain, you get permanent damage without the painful warning.

I've managed to avoid arc-eye, I put this down to wearing glasses. They do stop the rays that cause arc-eye, but they will still allow you to cause damage due to the sheer brightness of it. You can get arc-eye that goes round the glasses if it catches you from the side.

Close your eyes when tacking if you can't use a reactive mask.

Little johnny is rooting in the shed one day, and finds all his dad's old welding gear.

There's a welding plier for ray gun, some big gloves for space gloves, and a welding visor his astronaught's helmet. LJ thinks this is great, and gets it all on and runs down to the park dressed in his new 'spaceman' outfit.

When he gets there the local nonce approaches him.

" hello johhny, do you know what a willy is? "

"no" says johnny, slightly anxious.

"ok" says the nonce, " do you know what a willy looks like ?"

" no, I don't " says LJ, now a bit worried.

"ok LJ" says the nonce, " would you like to see a real willy? "

Little johnny runs off, screaming, " I'M NOT A REAL WELDER!!!! "