Decoys better than dead birds

Cosd

A question for those who have Pigeon FUD's.....

I've been using FUD's for a couple of years and got on really well with them. I found Silosocks hit and miss if I'm honest, plastic shell decoys are ok and flocked shells good as well, just heavy and take up a lot of space.

I've noticed the last three trips when out on rape that I start the days with FUD's and a single Hyperflap on the magnet. The birds come in lovely every time with pretty much any formation.

As I shoot birds I add to the pattern and as it does with rape the shooting slows down as you drive flock after flock away so birds get fewer and further apart. I've noticed that as the day goes on the birds decoy less and less. So I try various things and eventually take away all the FUD's and the birds won't decoy even to a flock of dead birds. I had over 20 dead birds, the flapper and the magnet with real birds on.

I go out again and put the FUD's out take some real birds in so I don't oversize the pattern and the birds start to commit to the pattern almost instantly!!

Anyone else really impressed with FUD's?

Cos

i have used 6 fuds along with 10 shell decoys for last 4 years and always add dead birds to to them as i go and the more dead birds you have out the better they decoy regardless of what else you have out there

I did expect your reply would be the general opinion, but I'm just stating my experience the last few times out.

Just a question, not being toooooo contentious.

If the pattern works and attracts the birds, why do you need to add to it?

Have you ever tried stting shot birds in cradles and placing them on a fence line or hedgerow so they look a little like sentry birds?

Sorry to high jack Cos, but you know what I am like.

Terry

Over 22 plus years of pigeon decoying I've used full bodied, shells , HH balloon and soft plastic. In my opinion the best set up is twelve thawed natural birds and add birds as you shoot. I carry fifty spikes and when they are all out I bring birds into the hide . You can change the pattern shape for returning birds by placing them in ALL directions with heads well down bums up feeding hard.

Over 22 plus years of pigeon decoying I've used full bodied, shells , HH balloon and soft plastic. In my opinion the best set up is twelve thawed natural birds and add birds as you shoot. I carry fifty spikes and when they are all out I bring birds into the hide . You can change the pattern shape for returning birds by placing them in ALL directions with heads well down bums up feeding hard.

and you certainly do well, wish i had days like yourself,, +1 for pigeon controller

Just a question, not being toooooo contentious.

If the pattern works and attracts the birds, why do you need to add to it?

Have you ever tried stting shot birds in cradles and placing them on a fence line or hedgerow so they look a little like sentry birds?

Sorry to high jack Cos, but you know what I am like.

Terry

Your point is very true. I add dead birds as it's a natural thing to do, common sense says that real birds will look even more attractive but my last three outings this hasn't been the case. The next time I'm out I will bring in all the shot birds and stick with the FUD's and see how it fairs.

Regards putting birds up in the hedge rows, I've done this when I have the opportunity, but the farm I was shooting the hedge rows are very high so I can't do this.

PC, regards the spikes you carry and use, how do these work so you have bums up so they look like they are feeding? I carry kebab sticks and prop the heads up using these but I only do it on a few, the majority I sit on the ground and I push the beaks into the ground so they look like they are feeding.

i watched the crowman just throwing his dead pigeons about, no set pattern , nothing,just thrown around and left where they land,and heres me making sure no feathers are sticking up they are sitting straight , unreal and he shoots plenty

PC, regards the spikes you carry and use, how do these work so you have bums up so they look like they are feeding? I carry kebab sticks and prop the heads up using these but I only do it on a few, the majority I sit on the ground and I push the beaks into the ground so they look like they are feeding.

I had 20 steel spikes made for putting dead birds on. They are about 15'' long and they are strong enough to be pushed through a birds body and into it's head with enough left over to stick into the ground. Birds set up on these spikes are generally 'head up' and only when all of the spikes are used do I put freshly shot birds into the 'head down' feeding position.

Edited by JDog

When pigeon Fuds first came out a number of my friends bought them and despite giving them a good trial,were very disappointed.

Some complained that they fell apart, were hard to clean, didn't seem to work as well as the standard shells/full bodied decoys, etc.

I think you have to take as you find, if they work for you then thats all that matters.

I use mainly shell decoys, but prefer real birds.

I also don't tend to add to patterns, if they are working.

Sometimes I just bring in decoys and replace with dead birds, but most of the time I leave things alone.

When it doesn't seem to be working is when I change it.

The perceived wisdom to use large numbers of decoys on rape usually works, but I have had a lot of success with around 15 birds in the layout, plus a rotary, or flapper.

I try not to be too fixed on my approach, it definitely pays to try something different, especially if you are regularly shooting over the same fields.

:friends:

I tend to start with 8 flocked decoys and add to the pattern as the day progresses but personally always found 40-50 dead birds as about the max you can have out without starting to loose your ability to get them where you want. In fact I'm often happy with 30 or so out then start bringing them in.

I use old bicycle spokes and push them into the ground at a steep angle this forces the head down I then pull the tail feathers up at the back which makes them move in the wind. On tall crops I use home made frames which I push in the ground at an angle bums up.

i also use bike spokes. a tip my dad gave me when he was a keeper 20 odd years ago cheap and very effective as long as you don't leave any lying around as there good at giving puntures too. deads on cradles can be posistioned in different ways aswell. interesting to hear about the effectiveness of the FUD's might invest in some to help fill out the pattern. i have heard others say the pigeons don't flare from them. Cos is there any particular way you set them out ie do you use the red metal spike or do away with it?

Don't forget, some areas have more pigeons than others.

You can have all the best equipment in the world, if the birds are not in your area, you will never shoot big bags.

You mean" ALL THE GEAR AND NO IDEA" !!!!!!

We have a number of local shooters who just set up on a field and hope . When we see a flock we work on the theory that you shoul be able to shoot and decoy 50% this normally works out. You must have times when you get migrating birds down south west that's when you get your big bags. In the midlands we get a double whammy when they move north or south you just have to find them .

Edited by pigeon controller

You mean" ALL THE GEAR AND NO IDEA" !!!!!!

We have a number of local shooters who just set up on a field and hope . When we see a flock we work on the theory that you shoul be able to shoot and decoy 50% this normally works out. You must have times when you get migrating birds down south west that's when you get your big bags. In the midlands we get a double whammy when they move north or south you just have to find them .

Exactly, knowing your ground and the birds habits help.

We get an influx of birds usually in the late spring / early summer, and they stay all summer.

This time of year the remaining birds stay together and move from field to field, as one, if disturbed.

There's plenty of rape about his year too.

I took a picture of the Bums up method with my spikes

December2012001.jpg

Interesting topic. I used to think that decoys had a slight advantage over dead birds because of the movement you could get with them. These days i firmly believe you can't beat the real thing. I don't think it matters too much whether they are head up or down, if pigeons are set on the field, they'll come in.

I've also heard it said from one or two that you can have too many decoys in a pattern. I think that's rubbish. You can certainly have too little, but never too many. I have shot over a ton with over 100 decoys in the pattern. That amount of decoys probably wasn't necessary, but it certainly looked convincing. On the other hand, i shot 154 on peas this year using approx 8 dead birds and a magnet. No dead birds were added - they weren't required. Every pigeon that entered the 10 acre field came to have a look. That amount of decoys may not have worked so well on a field three times as big.

I took a picture of the Bums up method with my spikes

December2012001.jpg

That certainly looks good and very different to the usual propping up the heads. Thanks for the picture ill definitely have a go at that.

Edited by Cosd

Interesting topic. I used to think that decoys had a slight advantage over dead birds because of the movement you could get with them. These days i firmly believe you can't beat the real thing. I don't think it matters too much whether they are head up or down, if pigeons are set on the field, they'll come in.

I've also heard it said from one or two that you can have too many decoys in a pattern. I think that's rubbish. You can certainly have too little, but never too many. I have shot over a ton with over 100 decoys in the pattern. That amount of decoys probably wasn't necessary, but it certainly looked convincing. On the other hand, i shot 154 on peas this year using approx 8 dead birds and a magnet. No dead birds were added - they weren't required. Every pigeon that entered the 10 acre field came to have a look. That amount of decoys may not have worked so well on a field three times as big.

I too have been a firm believer of nothing beats the real thing, but I definitely wasn't imagining the birds not wanting to decoy and then it all changed when the FUD's were put back out.

It's way too soon for me to conclude anything after just a couple of experiences, we know that different things work on different days.

The single Hyperflap on a magnet is definitely something I believe in though. My theory being that if you shoot an area where the birds are so used to the scene of two birds constantly chasing their tails can look all too familiar. If the magnet isn't working and you have Hyperflaps, stick a single one on and give it a try, and please report back on how you get on.