ear protection

kxkirk

I've had a lifetime of shooting & have lost 60% in one ear & 40% in the other & also have continual tinnitus & would strongly advise people to learn by my mistake.......

Last year, I bought a pair of Walker's Game Ears that fit into the ear & are so comfortable I forget they're there. They increase your hearing in normal use but cut out the gunfire completely & I highly recommend them. They're not cheap but are worth every penny.

These are the ones I bought: http://www.gsmoutdoors.com/shopping/walkers/behind-the-ear/game-ear-hd-elite-beige.aspx

Edited by shakari

I suffer from Tinnitus generally and shooting makes it temporarily worse. I can't afford to take a chance with my hearing so I've gone for MSA Sordin Supremes.

I also own some CENS pro flex in-ear ones but never really been happy with them - especially as they mucked up the fitting and gave me ones that didn't fit properly which made the tinnitus worse once I'd shot with them.

Also, they're back in for repair at the moment due to a broken switch!

these are excellent im not sure if you can get a individual fitting as my company buy all 400 employees a new pair every year but they do last a lifetime,, on the website they say they are £75.00 i am using a pair i have had for the last 5yrs , plenty of extra sets in the cabinet but they will only fit the wearers ears as they take a foam internal ear cast and make them off this cast..

http://www.noisebreaker.com/hearing-protection-for-shooters

Edited by delburt0

I (and my fellow clay shooters) use the Napier Pro 9s. A couple of us have had to replace them within the first 12 months (free of charge via our local RFD) because the plastic had cracked around a joint on the top.

They're not too bad but there are times when I just think about taking my iPod and using some music to drown out the sound (of the guns and the **** the others are spouting behind me when I'm in the cage).

Buy the best you can afford! Napier pro 9's or 10's £25 - £35, ACS reactive fitted in ear defenders around £100 or CENS in ear £500? or just about any of the others suggested by others here.

You will permanently damage your hearing if you shoot without hearing protection, Shakari is but one of a number on here who will vouch for that!!!

I (and my fellow clay shooters) use the Napier Pro 9s. A couple of us have had to replace them within the first 12 months (free of charge via our local RFD) because the plastic had cracked around a joint on the top.

They're not too bad but there are times when I just think about taking my iPod and using some music to drown out the sound (of the guns and the **** the others are spouting behind me when I'm in the cage).

I almost had a shouting match with the people at Napier because mine broke at the hinge thru normal use but they insisted that they couldn't have and would only offer a new pair at full list price but with free postage that would have cost about a pound. The pretty much called me a liar so it's interesting to see other people have had the same problem.

Howard leight slimline electronic ear defenders get them of eBay for £50 delivered

as above - these are great and use them for clays and pigeon shooting. Thin enough that you don't knock the stock. The volume is adjustable and they fold up nicely for storage.

Hi, can't disagree with what has already been said. I use both (not at the same time lol!) Peltor Sportac Electronic Ear Defenders and custom moulded depending on the weather.

The problem was highlighted today while shooting a local unregistered 80 ESP, I counted in excess of a dozen shooters that were NOT wearing any ear protection, I did mention this to two of the shooters and got a rather short response!

Key thing is look after your ears! and enjoy the sport and your hearing for many years.

I am unfortunately wearing 2 hearing aides, not age related but hearing lost through shooting and other noise related activities. I now use the Howard Leight ear defenders as they amplify the sound (so can leave the hearing aides at home) and dampen the shot sound. Mine were from ebay but from a seller in the states and delivered for £34 in about 8 days.

Edited by stripey999

Hi just had a day claying now my ears are ringing i do have some big bulky ear defenders but with them on i dont seem to be able to mount my gun properly. Do any of u guys wear ear protection and what do you find is the best?

Try these:

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/bisley-comfy-plugs~gfs_BICLPGEEP.html

Highly highly highly recommended. Just pop them in even when rough shooting.