Advise on SGC and counter signature

davids3511

I have been clay shooting under tuition with my son for about 6 months now and am sure we are going to keep it up. My problem is with the counter signature for the SGC. I don't really know anybody that is in a professional position that could sign other than my partners sister in law. We are not married but have been together for 15 years and have a child. Would her sister in law be considered a 'relative' of mine?

I am not originally from the UK so don't have the community background a local would. If I was in Ireland I would have no problem.

Cheers for any help. Don't want to apply and be refused.

I'm self employed, bank with Abbey national (you never see anyone), don't have a vet (Doctor won't do it) and don't go to church.

However, I did speak to the GMP firearms unit today (they were very helpful and friendly) and explained my situation. They said they would accept a countersignatury from the Rep of Ireland so I'm sorted. It will take a little longer with the post and what not but I'll get there in the end. Cheers for all the replys.

In Essex my renewal form came through (this month) with some paper attached to it stating that the rules in relation to the counter signature have changed.

Now it just needs to be someone you have known for the stated amount of time who is not a policeman. I've previously asked teacher friends to do it but now it seems i can ask anyone of they've know me long enough.

The list is not exclusive, it is an example your partners sister is a no but partners sister in law i think would be fine. As you say you are sorted its more important that they "know" you rather than someone you see once a year and have done for 5 years (your accountant etc) a work colleague if your a spark, a plumber you have worked with closely for a couple of years and had a few jars with etc would be better...

Edited by HDAV

I suspect very few people can get a doctor, bank manager (there's a laugh) vicar, JP etc to sign their applications these days. Interestingly the referee "status" for a FAC seems less restrictive - the following from the HO Guidance to Police Forces -

10.7 A referee may be of any background or occupation. A referee must be of good character, whom the police may trust to give honest replies to the questions contained on the referee form (the referee is not required to guarantee the applicant’s good behaviour).

10.8 Members of the applicant’s family may not act as referees. In the absence of a Court ruling, family is taken to mean the following: mother; father; son; daughter; sister; brother; aunt; uncle; grand parent and mother/father/sister/brother in law. Cousins are not regarded as immediate family but cohabiting partners should be considered as “family” for these purposes and not be accepted. Serving police officers, police civilian employees and registered firearms dealers (but see paragraph 10.9) may not act as referees.

I had a neighbour and a friend do my SGC and FAC, both of whom had known me well for over 20 years - but 2 years would have been enough.

Edited by SakoQuad