Petition to repeal 1997 and 1988 Gun Control acts...

Steppenwolf

I know you have probably signed tens if not hundreds of these petitions for some time and some years but it is important, considering that on the e-petitions website there are no pro-gun petitions at the minute.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/44376

Full Text:

Abolish 1997 and 1988 Gun Control Acts

Responsible department: Home Office

Giving people the right to again own Handguns and Semiautomatic Centrefire rifles in the UK. Abolish 1997 and 1988 Firearm Acts.

I believe that the flawed legislation that was the Gun Control Acts of 1997 (Handgun ban) and 1988 (Semi-Automatic Centrefire ban) was flawed to begin with.

Its main premise was to ensure public safety by limiting the availability of legally held firearms. This however has not been the case as firearms crime has massively gone up, the acts penalised law abiding gun owners for the crimes of mainly criminal gangs which use firearms to intimidate, kill and injure. Bring back the people's right to own handguns and semi-automatic centrefire rifles, public safety is not jeopardized by these sort of guns, in fact gun crime was much lower when these guns were fully legal in Britain over 25 years ago.

Law abiding gun owners should not be punished for criminal and insane acts of madmen.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Petitions are a waste of time. In fact, they are usually the wrong thing to do because when they inevitably get very few names it sends the message that few people care.

The best way of protecting the shooting sports and possibly even getting back some things we have lost is to recruit more shooters. Simple as that.

J.

After all the 'events' in the US recently, now is definitely not the time to ask for handguns and semi-auto centre-fires back - the public are more likely to demand things in the other direction!

As Jonathan says, recruit more shooters - take a mate clay shooting, start to spread a more positive image of our sport.

I actively campaign to recruit shooters whenever I can this is important you get more people join the sport and more gun owners and then you can change the law more effectively.

"IMO very poor timing for such a petition ." It is very good timing with what has been happening in the US, and everybody calling for gun control it is time to us to actually point out the fallacy of their ways and call for less gun control.

"As much as I'd like it mate, no government is ever going to let us have handguns and semi auto centre fires again. It's hard enough keeping what we have."

That is true that is why we need more than ever to actively campaign for this, we have the numbers on the side, more people are neutral pro-gun rather than anti-gun so we should be using this to our advantage not burrying our heads in the sand with the: "What can I do?" atittude

"I will NOT be putting my name to such an ill timed and badly drafted petition."

In which way is it ill timed and can you point out the badly drafted bits? It is my first tie writing a petition so I am not a genuis unfortunately. You only get 1000 caracters as well, I wanted to go more in depth into crime statistics but I couldn't so had to make a vague summary.

"I will NOT be putting my name to such an ill timed and badly drafted petition."

In which way is it ill timed and can you point out the badly drafted bits? It is my first tie writing a petition so I am not a genuis unfortunately. You only get 1000 caracters as well, I wanted to go more in depth into crime statistics but I couldn't so had to make a vague summary.

Due to the fact that the killer used a semi automatic bushmaster and this was plastered across the tv and Internet asking the government who will ultimately go with a policy that will win them vote will not allow this to go through. Not only was America grieving but the world was and has started to make people question why guns are legal or have little to no restraint against them.

More chance of throwing a snow ball at the sun,complete waste of time,just enjoy what you have,while you still have it.

attitude like that will end shooting, we need to let the government know we are ****** about what has been taken away and we are not going to stand around and let them take any more

I shoot pigeons mate, so sat in a hide with an AK47 or chasing bunnies around a field with a berreta 9mm aint really my thing so i wont be signing either.

Just think how much more damage a **** like derrick bird wouldve done if instead of a shotty and single shot small calibre rifle, he went running round with an M16!

and with all the school shootings in America and that nutter in Norway I'm quite happy with things as they are.

signed, although i don't think this is the way we will get them back.

we need to get our foot in the door then let basc and the nra battle the government, i highly doubt we will get the whole lot but we could hope for a compromise, i.e .22lr pistols

The NRA will do the same as they always do - nothing!

J.

attitude like that will end shooting, we need to let the government know we are ****** about what has been taken away and we are not going to stand around and let them take any more

Don't agree. He is quite correct that it will do absolutely no good. It is a waste of everyones time, to be honest. I totally agree with fighting whatever future restrictions may be proposed but it is counter productive to fight battles which you are not going to win.

If we want stuff back then more shooters is the only answer.

J.

I shoot pigeons mate, so sat in a hide with an AK47 or chasing bunnies around a field with a berreta 9mm aint really my thing so i wont be signing either.

Just think how much more damage a **** like derrick bird wouldve done if instead of a shotty and single shot small calibre rifle, he went running round with an M16!

and with all the school shootings in America and that nutter in Norway I'm quite happy with things as they are.

And that is the real threat to shooting inthis country. The "my bit of shooting is ok so I don't need to bother about anyone elses", attitude is the one which will kill it stone dead!

J.

Edited by JonathanL