Hmr moderator

walt1980

No doubt this has been debated for ages but I've got an Anschutz 1517 hmr with an LEI mod on it. Not as quiet as I'd like and wondered if anyone knows of any quieter ones? If its just be a tiny improvement I'm not too fussed, but if there's something about that's lots quieter I'd def be interested! Using Hornady 17grn at the min.

Cheers

SAK mods are okay on an hmr but will burn out in time. The alloy used in the drilled portion erodes with use, resulting in ever decreasing levels of moderation. However, given the price and the length of time this takes they're still a good choice for the hmr.

Personally, I use a ASE Utra which is both affordable, serviceable and long lasting.

Edited by mick miller

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/guns/369774/Ten_of_the_best_17HMR_moderators.html

This is a little old but not a great deal has changed, look a bit further down the article and you will see how some of the silly expensive mods do not fare well against the SAK.

Buy what you like, but be careful if parting with lots of your hard earned, you may well be very disappointed!

My cousin had a Sak on his Hmr and i have the Lei, we reckon it is a different sound but not much between the two think the lei has a slight edge on quietness,someone else might here different though,I would stick with what you have if i were you,I dont think it will wear out that quick plus it is nice and compact,if it wasn't on when I bought it I wouldnt have spent that much on one though

I've tried a few and like people have been saying there's very little in it and if we're honest we just choose the mod we like. (Usually the look of). And I don't think it matters to the quarry as most can hear a fa@t at a party, So they either choose to run off or wait for there turn.

Cheers Tis

Edited by Tis1979

• 11 months later...

In the test that Dekers has quoted the SM11 wins by a fair margin, and it's cheap too. The only problem is that the front baffles can become eroded by the HMR, although they can be swapped around with the others. The SM11 is excellent on .22lr too.

Edited by Catweazle

I have had a custom moderator built for me and my dad for our 17hmr sako quads. The new moderator's are replacing a wildcat whisper(mine) and a dm80. The new moderators are a hell of a lot smaller and quite a bit quieter when compared to are other mods and a sak. I have zeroed the rifle a week ago and have found it groups better with the new moderator. I also went to carlton moor range on Saturday and the owner of the range commented on how quite the moderator was but also how well they are made. They are fully stainless steel including the baffles so no rot or rust issues. The moderator's are made by onelesscharlie (Colin), so if people are after a improvement over what is available speak to him. Cost of the moderator is good as well , depending on spec, mine was £70. Before anyone says"do you work or sell for him" NO I DON'T I am simplyrecrecommending something that not many people know about . I will be going to the pw shoot weekend, when it's announced, if anyone wants to have a look and a listen.

Paul

I have had a custom moderator built for me and my dad for our 17hmr sako quads. The new moderator's are replacing a wildcat whisper(mine) and a dm80. The new moderators are a hell of a lot smaller and quite a bit quieter when compared to are other mods and a sak. I have zeroed the rifle a week ago and have found it groups better with the new moderator. I also went to carlton moor range on Saturday and the owner of the range commented on how quite the moderator was but also how well they are made. They are fully stainless steel including the baffles so no rot or rust issues. The moderator's are made by onelesscharlie (Colin), so if people are after a improvement over what is available speak to him. Cost of the moderator is good as well , depending on spec, mine was £70. Before anyone says"do you work or sell for him" NO I DON'T I am simplyrecrecommending something that not many people know about . I will be going to the pw shoot weekend, when it's announced, if anyone wants to have a look and a listen.

Paul

would love to hear one side by side a whisper :yes:

Edited by snipers eye