BSA or Air Arms???

Matt the Pigeon Shooter

Hello, I am looking at buying my first PCP and have been looking at second hand BSA Scorpions (multi shot) or an Air Ams S410. Does any one have any preference between the 2 and should I be looking out for any renowned problems? I am looking to spend sub £400.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks, Matt

I would suggest you also look at an AA/CZ S200 as well. For a first PCP they are as accurate as hell and light.

Very well built and easy to work on. You can use it as a single shot or retro fit various multishot options. AA do one, so do Rowen engineering, CZ also have their own version with a five shot clip.

There is a new "hunter version" on the CZ website that has 30% more air capacity and quite a nice looking stock but I haven't seen one for real yet.

had S410 for years was best airgun ever by miles IMO, my mate had bsa ultra with thumbstock hole i think but even he loved the s410, bought mine for £800 with 12 x50 scope extar mags etc etc then sold it for just year or so ago for £650 after 5 years use !

only regret 2 things not buying the carbine and selling this one as still would have used it if kept it

Edited by maxus77

You only get about 70 shots per charge though dont you :good:

Yep, and each one pinpoint accurate and deadly! It's turrible!

I've never yet had to refill a PCP mid hunt with one noatble exception...a BSA Ultra!

To be fair, there's nowt wrong with BSA's, it's just that in MY opinion, they aren't as good as the AirArms guns. Seems quite a few agree though.

Yep, and each one pinpoint accurate and deadly! It's turrible!

I've never yet had to refill a PCP mid hunt with one noatble exception...a BSA Ultra!

To be fair, there's nowt wrong with BSA's, it's just that in MY opinion, they aren't as good as the AirArms guns. Seems quite a few agree though.

Each to there own i'll stick to the supertens :good:

Excellent response, thanks folks. From what I can make out there is a few more who would lean towards the S410 but as mentioned each to there own. My mate has a super 10 and made a good point that the HO of BSA is only in Birmingham (25 mins away) so if anything was to go wrong I'm only down the road.

Last couple of questions, If I'm using it for hunting should I use .177 or .22 & carbine or rifle.

Sorry for all the questions but you guys seem to know your stuff :-).

Thanks again, Matt

Excellent response, thanks folks. From what I can make out there is a few more who would lean towards the S410 but as mentioned each to there own. My mate has a super 10 and made a good point that the HO of BSA is only in Birmingham (25 mins away) so if anything was to go wrong I'm only down the road.

Last couple of questions, If I'm using it for hunting should I use .177 or .22 & carbine or rifle.

Thanks again, Matt

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Air Arms seldom go wrong so you will rarely need them, they are in Hailsham, whereas sadly BSA............. my Ultra was a disaster, but after 3 goes at fixing it in Birmingham it does work ok now (funnily I do rate it as a little knock about, but it's operating system is daft fiddly)!!

Just for the record, The H.O. of BSA is in Spain!

Gamo own them! But I suspect the Local BSA office in Birmingham will be able to help! :lol::good: :good: :good:

Thanks again, Matt

Most seem to prefer the carbine version, me included, as its obviously shorter and less weight to lug around. Some prefer .22 and some prefer.177. Both with the correctly placed head shot will take out a rabbit within sensible ranges, 35-40 yards. A little further if you are a very competant shot and the conditions are perfect. The .22 being the heavier pellet and travelling slower has a more prounounced arc than the .177......"loopy trajectory". The .177 flies a lot faster and being a lighter pellet, much flatter. Therefore as accuracy is everything, the .177 requires less calculations for holdover/hold under. Carbine .177 for me. Hope this helps.

Edited by turbo33