Pump Club

thepasty

Danoi

Dont worry about the 3 shot disadvantage, the gun you have will be the best one to try out the sport & see if you like it, dont feel intimidated, we nearly all started the same way, if you decide to take things further a simple variation of your fac for a section 1 shotgun & your almost done.

With your variation sorted you can decide if you want to buy a new gun or convert your existing S2 shotgun.

With the 870 you have it will cost about £30 to get the crimp from the mag tube removed & the best extension magazine tubes are in the region of £50-£70 depending on make & they simply screw on to give you the capacity you want, easy really.

N

Edited by neil smith

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's great Neil, thanks.

Full of questions tonight mate. If I was to get an FAC sect1 for my Wingmaster, then got my magazine uncrimped so it became a 5+1, would I still be able to shoot it at my local Clay shoot with the Mag plug installed?, cuz it would be restricted to it's sect2 capability of 2+1.

Common sense says yeh, but I have a nasty feeling you are gonna say "no way fella"

As always, thanks for your help.

D

That's great Neil, thanks.

Full of questions tonight mate. If I was to get an FAC sect1 for my Wingmaster, then got my magazine uncrimped so it became a 5+1, would I still be able to shoot it at my local Clay shoot with the Mag plug installed?, cuz it would be restricted to it's sect2 capability of 2+1.

Common sense says yeh, but I have a nasty feeling you are gonna say "no way fella"

As always, thanks for your help.

D

Once the gun is converted to section 1 it will go onto your fac & its use is then governed by the conditions listed on it.

If your good reason is PSG & target shooting then its usually common practice for police forces to grant the use for clays as well, I can do this with all of my S1 shotguns.

Full use of the gun at clay shoots will be governed not by law but by your local clay clubs own rules, either find a club that allows you to load more than two if thats what you want to do or as you say take the extension tube off & only load 2 rounds, they will never know.

I have done that at some less than welcoming grounds in the past, now I tend not to give my money to places like that.

As I mentioned in my PM if you want to visit my club we hold PSG matches on the first Saturday of every month.

If you want to shoot you will need to either have an Fac for S1 shotgun or use your own 3 shot, if you just want to come along & check it out then thats ok too, but you will need to be signed in & you will need eye & hearing protection.

I can sign you in provided im going, drop me a line when you want to come along.

N

Edited by neil smith

Nope.. You'll have to get it re classed to section one via the proof house. You can still shoot clays with it by getting it conditioned for clays.

Why does the proof house have to class it as section one? I know that the proof house has jumped on the restriction of SGs to S2 as another revenue stream, but when you're going the other way..

I just had my S2 gun moved to my FAC and then did the conversion myself. Once its listed on your FAC then the requirement for it to fit the definition of a s2 gun no longer applies, so I can't see why you need to get it "proofed" S1..

As far as clay gounds go, the only reason I can see for people getting upset with you loading more than 2 shells is if you're somewhere, where people are quing up for stands. I'm not advocating breaking club rules, or standing on a DTL line with 5 shells loaded(!), but I have used high cap huns at lots of gounds where its no problem at all.

I have just bought my first pumper, a Winchester SXP, again, just for the fun of having something different. I find the comb a bit low so need a comb raiser but apart from that it's great fun.

i just bought one too, tried it out on clays and got my best score all year !!!!! not sure how that happened !!!

Struggled a few times loading, cartridges seemed to stick and i didnt push forward enough one or twice, so the cartrige wasnt loaded in the action properly, but i am sure it will loosen up.

Hi All

I was thinking about getting a pump for a pigeon gun as I dont really want to scratch up my over and under which I use for my regular clay shoots. I have taken the over and under out a few times but do get a bit precious about getting it wet/ scratched. I did mention this at my local RFDs to see what they likely had in second hand they are nice guys but on this occasion it did seem as if I was asking for their first born for sacrifice when I mentioned it so I guess they are not fans :no: .

So I thought I would ask this pigeonwatch collective what a pump is like for pigeon shooting, do they have may pitfalls and what would you get/ what should I look out for on a budget of £250 ish in the new year?

The other option is a semi auto but I am attracted to the robustness of the pump and they seem to be a bit cheaper overall.

Cheers in advance

Neil

Hey guys,

A little help needed. My Mossberg 500 has a C-Lect choke that has seized solid. I was recommended to soak it in WD40 for a few days in hope it will free up.

I've done this and still unable to adjust it.

Is there anything else that can be done or for me to try?... I considered having a gunsmith cut if off but that would make the barrel approx 23inches and then have something like a breacher choke brazed on to make the legal barrel length.

The gunsmith route is looking the likely option but any other suggestions I'd much appreciate.

Lewis

I'm sure one of of my RFD's said you cant cut off a choke and then braze something back on to get back to length.

Try some heat

Some shock treatment might help.

I know it wont help the finish but its better than chopping it off but have you tried something like stilsons on it?

Heat, quick shock then stilsons... ;)

Hey guys,

A little help needed. My Mossberg 500 has a C-Lect choke that has seized solid. I was recommended to soak it in WD40 for a few days in hope it will free up.

I've done this and still unable to adjust it.

Is there anything else that can be done or for me to try?... I considered having a gunsmith cut if off but that would make the barrel approx 23inches and then have something like a breacher choke brazed on to make the legal barrel length.

The gunsmith route is looking the likely option but any other suggestions I'd much appreciate.

Lewis

Had a mossy 590 which has a 20" barrel as standard- the dealers who are importing them are brazing on an extension piece eith solid or ported to get the 24 required so am sure the same can be done for you

Took the winchester to a certain shooting school near cheltenham yesterday. Was having a lovely round, when one of the ground staff stopped behind me and watched me shoot, i said hello, he said " how many cartridges have you got in that gun sir?" I replied two, he said " are you sure?" I said yes, he replied you haven't got three have you?" I then said would you like to check???? He then walked off!!

The arrogance of the fool.

firstly, accept an answer from a customer who is paying over the odds for a round of clays, secondly i have spent over £5k in their gun shop in the last two years and don't think that everyone that shoots with anything less than a hand made Browning is a liar and cannot follow clay ground rules...

To be fair, as great as the ground is, the attitude of the staff is awful and i wont be going back again.

Anyone else met with such treatment when using a pump?

Took the winchester to a certain shooting school near cheltenham yesterday. Was having a lovely round, when one of the ground staff stopped behind me and watched me shoot, i said hello, he said " how many cartridges have you got in that gun sir?" I replied two, he said " are you sure?" I said yes, he replied you haven't got three have you?" I then said would you like to check? ??? He then walked off!!

firstly, accept an answer from a customer who is paying over the odds for a round of clays, secondly i have spent over £5k in their gun shop in the last two years and don't think that everyone that shoots with anything less than a hand made Browning is a liar and cannot follow clay ground rules...

To be fair, as great as the ground is, the attitude of the staff is awful and i wont be going back again.

I know the ground of which you speak, and use it occasionally. They are a little dear, but other than that I've never had a problem there, they've always been courteous and professional whether I'm buying from the shop, shooting a round or the one time I had a lesson there. I normally use an O/U but have been there with a semi auto.

The treatment you got was out of order. I'd have challenged the bloke concerned and and made it clear I didn't like being called a liar. Perhaps at the counter when paying your bill when there were a few customers around. Don't tar them all with the same brush though. There are some OK blokes there.

My club is ok with pumps semis or O/U. Oddest thing happened with the SXP on thursday though. Was shooting sporting it didn't eject the cart and jammed. Bolt would not release, after 2 of us looked at it at this stand we were stood on and tried bringing the bolt back. Ended up stripping it to make it safe and took it back to the club house. A fellow shooter up there help me put it back together in the end, still a very random jam though.

Hi All

I was thinking about getting a pump for a pigeon gun as I dont really want to scratch up my over and under which I use for my regular clay shoots. I have taken the over and under out a few times but do get a bit precious about getting it wet/ scratched. I did mention this at my local RFDs to see what they likely had in second hand they are nice guys but on this occasion it did seem as if I was asking for their first born for sacrifice when I mentioned it so I guess they are not fans :no: .

So I thought I would ask this pigeonwatch collective what a pump is like for pigeon shooting, do they have may pitfalls and what would you get/ what should I look out for on a budget of £250 ish in the new year?

The other option is a semi auto but I am attracted to the robustness of the pump and they seem to be a bit cheaper overall.

Cheers in advance

Neil

for £250 you can get a revo pump action, nice guns the for end has a spring on it , so when you pump it the spring lets it go for ward on its own,they are nice to use nice for hide shooting.

Took the winchester to a certain shooting school near cheltenham yesterday. Was having a lovely round, when one of the ground staff stopped behind me and watched me shoot, i said hello, he said " how many cartridges have you got in that gun sir?" I replied two, he said " are you sure?" I said yes, he replied you haven't got three have you?" I then said would you like to check???? He then walked off!!

I asked the guy that runs my local shoot if using a pump was O.K he said that he didn't have a problem with it, but did say that pumps are no good for clays, especially on fast crossing pairs etc.

Stand 3 comes along, left to right sim pair, fast and low. I hit 10 out of 10. Now I'm not saying he was wrong.........but I was very happy with the result.

I think there is a strange attitude towards pump actions in this country, and I don't see why.

Shooting English Sporting with a pump is a top laugh.