Missing Notification of Transfer

hedd-wyn

Here's a scenario that's got me thinking

Say I buy a shotgun from someone private. I then send the letter with the serial number and other SCG holder's details ect to my local Firearms Department and the letter was lost on by the royal mail without me knowing, what would happen?

I mean unless the letter is sent by email or recorded delivery then you wouldn't really know if the police have received the details or not would you?

What would be the consequences if this happened? It must've happened in the past.

Edited by hedd-wyn

It recommended its sent recorded delivery so you would always have proof, I always send every thing recorded plus I take copies of everthing as well and file with recorded delivery slip

I'm with Alan on this one. I too photocopy everything, is sent "signed for", I attach post office receipt with tracking no to photocopy, then go on line and track and note time and date of receipt and signatory. Some may regard this as both belt and bracers. But if it's lost in post you have no proof of what you did and if some dimwit decides to prosecute the burden of proof rests with you. If you have no proof then you're stuffed.

You are supposed to send it via recorded delivery.

They do lose them, I've heard of some people getting a good telling off about it, until they show/offer to show the proof of posting to the police, at which point it goes quiet.

Things do get lost, as in any system, so you must always be able to prove they did get it. Yes a recorded delivery receipt doesn't show what was sent, but as it'll show something was sent within 7 days of receiving/disposing of a firearm, and to the correct address, you should be fine.

If using e-mail get a receipt from the police, that is much better than your copy of the e-mail. If they won't give a receipt then forget e-mail and use recorded delivery.

Edited by bedwards1966

I sent details of a shotgun I bought privately, to the police, by recorded delivery. I thought everything was okay until a few weeks later, I had a 'phone call off them, asking why I had'nt notified them of the transaction. I told them that it was sent to them recorded, but they still insisted that they never received it. They said that I had commited an offence, and that they 'could' revoke my certificate if they wanted too. I had a warning off them 'not to do it again'. Not being happy with that, I checked with Royal mail, and found that the letter I sent the police had been signed for. When I told the police about it, they did'nt want to know, and never even apologised. I now send notification via email.

On a similar note, a few years ago, the police sent out my renewed certificates by 2nd class post, and they were lost. They tried to blame me, and were not happy about sending them out again, although they did so.

Here's a scenario that's got me thinking

Say I buy a shotgun from someone private. I then send the letter with the serial number and other SCG holder's details ect to my local Firearms Department and the letter was lost on by the royal mail without me knowing, what would happen?

I mean unless the letter is sent by email or recorded delivery then you wouldn't really know if the police have received the details or not would you?

What would be the consequences if this happened? It must've happened in the past.

This is why it is a legal requirement to send it via recorded delivery.

To be honest, as long as you have sent it I don't think you commit any offence. The fact that they didn't get it is neither here nor there.

J.

I'm with Alan on this one. I too photocopy everything, is sent "signed for", I attach post office receipt with tracking no to photocopy, then go on line and track and note time and date of receipt and signatory. Some may regard this as both belt and bracers. But if it's lost in post you have no proof of what you did and if some dimwit decides to prosecute the burden of proof rests with you. If you have no proof then you're stuffed.

It doesn't. It rests with them. They have to prove that you didn't sent it.

J.

I sent details of a shotgun I bought privately, to the police, by recorded delivery. I thought everything was okay until a few weeks later, I had a 'phone call off them, asking why I had'nt notified them of the transaction. I told them that it was sent to them recorded, but they still insisted that they never received it. They said that I had commited an offence, and that they 'could' revoke my certificate if they wanted too. I had a warning off them 'not to do it again'. Not being happy with that, I checked with Royal mail, and found that the letter I sent the police had been signed for. When I told the police about it, they did'nt want to know, and never even apologised. I now sent notification via email.

On a similar note, a few years ago, the police sent out my renewed certificates by 2nd class post, and they were lost. They tried to blame me, and were not happy about sending them out again, although they did so.

As in this case they will bluster on about how it's your fault and they they could revoke/prosecute but they won't because they have to prove that you didn't send it. It is not down to you to prove that you did.

Once again, a product of hastily enacted, ill thought out legisltion which probably looked quite good for the immediate political future but has shown its weakness in pretty short order.

J.

If you comply with the law which is:

Section 33 of the Firearms (Amendment) Act, 1997, requires that the transfer of firearms be notified within 7 days, by registered post or recorded delivery.

Then you will always have proof of notification just keep your receipt of posting and do the check on the royal mail website that it has been delivered and signed for by your respective force. Job done.

Any future problems can be negated if you keep a record of posting / ref no etc.

Several years ago, I bought a shotgun, I sent the notice in by recorded delivery, the shop also sent it in,

about 4 years later on renewal they wanted to know why I had it,

BOTH notices had gone missing, my copy of the post office slip had long gone,

they checked with the gunshop who showed them his ledger, all sorted.

In 1997 when this legislation was worded email was not as common or as widely used as it is today. Most Forces are quite happy with email notification, if in doubt about yours its simple enough to ask them, I did and have their answer, in the affirmative, also on record.

Recoded delivery is not actually as safe and certain as email in my opinion. I have had items sent by me and to me go astray via the Post Office. If I have a reply confirming receipt of a document no-one can ever say it wasn't sent or received as I have proof of both.

i sold a shotgun and sent a letter off two the police hq,and they moved office and did not get the letter, on renewal in july last year i had two remember who i sold it two, or they would not renew my cert,in the end i remembered who i sold it two, and my new cert came with in 2 days.