Top Paid jobs in UK

AVB

I have to admit I am a PAYE muppet, plenty of folk run their own businesses and seem to do a lot better. Good luck to them to, the more you can keep from the chancellor the better!

Much more stressful in so many ways! :no:

When it's good it's great... whan it's not it is truly aweful and I would (almost.... sometimes) give it all up for the guarantee ox £xxxx landing on the same day every month....

For me it isn't the potential to earn more that keeps me self employed, it is a lifestyle choice... if I want to work an hour a day I can, if I wan't to go somewhere I can, whenever I want... I'm not chained to a desk, at someone elses beck and call or obliged to be at a workplace 9-5 or whatever... unfortunately, that lifestyle choice also brings with it stress and uncertainty!

Muppetry isn't always a bad thing! :good:

Edited by Vipa

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Much more stressful in so many ways! :no:

When it's good it's great... whan it's not it is truly aweful and I would (almost.... sometimes) give it all up for the guarantee ox £xxxx landing on the same day every month....

For me it isn't the potential to earn more that keeps me self employed, it is a lifestyle choice... if I want to work an hour a day I can, if I wan't to go somewhere I can, whenever I want... I'm not chained to a desk, at someone elses beck and call or obliged to be at a workplace 9-5 or whatever... unfortunately, that lifestyle choice also brings with it stress and uncertainty!

Muppetry isn't always a bad thing! :good:

I was thinking about this the other day. I fall under number 5, and am a PAYE muppet. I don't earn too badly, though I could probably earn more if I contracted. Then again, the extra money would have to see me through long (possibly very long in the current economic climate) periods between contracts, and it is nice to have paid holiday, sick leave etc. (No pension though). But, I do dislike having to turn up at the same time every day, deal with idiots in management, clear holiday in advance, only do personal stuff in the evenings etc. Meh. I suppose I'll stick with it for now.

Between the bakers and the greengrocers..................................well they are on our high street anyway:)

You have a butchers, a baker and a greengrocer on your high st? flippin' heck! We have a poundland, a kebab shop, a chicken shop, two pizza places and the rest are charity shops or closed.

Surprised farmers aren't up there....

On a serious not, I'm also surprised academia isn't there, a newly appointed Prof is minimum of £60k in my Uni, the pension and benefits are amazing, and its negotiable from there, if you bring the grant money, and publish well, a big Uni (like mine) will do anything to keep you.

On a serious not, I'm also surprised academia isn't there, a newly appointed Prof is minimum of £60k in my Uni, the pension and benefits are amazing, and its negotiable from there, if you bring the grant money, and publish well, a big Uni (like mine) will do anything to keep you.

Pfff 1-6 wouldn't get out of bed for that :lol:

The unpaid PhD students lecturing drag it right down

There was a case some 10 years ago of a non too senior street lighting employee of Brum Council who knew a lot of angles and worked emergency shift allowance who grossed 96K per annum.

I dont live in Brum, so who gives a ****. I'm alright Jack.

If worth were measured by wealth, some unexpected people would drive Bentleys and not one would be a first division footballer.

These dayshowever, I dont get out of bed unless its index linked

Like this statement a lot of this thread is a load of self congratulatory ****..

I am 1, 4, 5, 8, 10. I also make the tea and empty the bins - you do when it is your company.

Well done to all those people on here earning, and of course paying tax on all that money. I am sure the rest of the country who are taking out of the system really appreciate it! :lol:

Well done to all those people on here earning, and of course paying tax on all that money. I am sure the rest of the country who are taking out of the system really appreciate it! :lol:

After the mutual self congratulation back patting ceremony, I was waiting for the inevitable attack on benefit claimants :lol: I was not disappointed :rolleyes:

KW

Edited by kdubya

I am 1, 4, 5, 8, 10. I also make the tea and empty the bins - you do when it is your company.

being your own boss is great but try adding up the VAT, corporation tax and personal tax that you contribute to the pot and you're doing your bit for keeping the northerners in cigarettes and alcohol

being your own boss is great but try adding up the VAT, corporation tax and personal tax that you contribute to the pot and you're doing your bit for keeping the northerners in cigarettes and alcohol

very good but not original so I will put you down for a "must try harder"

KW

After the mutual self congratulation back patting ceremony, I was waiting for the inevitable attack on benefit claimants :lol: I was not disappointed :rolleyes:

KW

In your eagerness to jump on my post you missed the subtleties. I wasn't self congratulating myself. You won't find CEO, Director etc etc on my business cards. I run a limited company, anyone can do it if they want to.

I didn't mention benefit claimants. You did. "Taking out of the system" is the phrase that I used. Taking out of the system can take many forms.

Edited by ME

In your eagerness to jump on my post you missed the subtleties. I wasn't self congratulating myself. You won't find CEO, Director etc etc on my business cards. I run a limited company, anyone can do it if they want to.

I didn't mention benefit claimants. You did. "Taking out of the system" is the phrase that I used. Taking out of the system can take many forms.

backpedaling!! taking out can indeed take many forms, however my lack of subtlety points me in the direction of the intention :yes:

KW