Falklands....will it all kick off again?

Mk1 Man

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a big difference is back in 1982 the Royal Navy didn't have submarines equipped with conventially armed cruise missiles putting the Argentine mainland into range.

nah the big difference was the withdrawl of the southern fleet and scrapping HMS endurance, which gave the argies the green light in the belief we would not defend, this time with a base full of typhoons and our eye on the game, they wont take the risk of us backing down.

KW

What our government should do is first tell us how much of our money they have spent on that place so fare and then haw much it is costing us per year give us this information then ask us if we want to spend the money on them or spend the money on old people disabled people schools hospitals etc etc.

If you do think we should be there then I say when the oil money starts rolling in before they get there Rollers and Bentleys they should pay is back for protecting them over the years.

What our government should do is first tell us how much of our money they have spent on that place so fare and then haw much it is costing us per year give us this information then ask us if we want to spend the money on them or spend the money on old people disabled people schools hospitals etc etc.

If you do think we should be there then I say when the oil money starts rolling in before they get there Rollers and Bentleys they should pay is back for protecting them over the years.

Would you expect the same from the Shetlands, Orkneys, Hebredies, Isle's of Man or Wight?

George Galloway is backing the argies enough reason for a conflict to start me thinks. :D

KW

I'm sorry but George Galloway is the biggest waste of life and should be put against a wall and shot.

Although he is the only politician to show that he will sell his sole for cash

We have an airfield on the islands so don't need a carrier! Yes MPA could be bombed, there are other airfields that the typhoons can operate out of within striking distance. Oh yeah A typhoon could leave the UK and be there in 6 hours with a refuel from Ascension. Do more with less! Pretty sure the Argies have still got the same plans from 82! There are as many troops on the island as civvys, it's a good training area for the UK Armed Forces.

No doubt the finding of oil at some of the offshore exploration sites over the past few years will encourage the argies to keep pushing. As a shareholder in some of those successful exploration companies I hope we don't capitulate to their posturing!!

I reckon they must know that the islands have some pretty significant ground forces in place but I'm not convinced that we can rely on this "coalition" to have the bollicks that dear old Maggie showed last time they invaded?

Edited by old rooster

surely we could same the same regarding scotland or wales :lol::ninja::lol:

Wouldn't mind betting it is insignificant compared to how much we waste in Afghanistan, Iraq and any number of other pointless conflicts dear old Mr. Bliar let us get dragged into.

Argentina have publically stated that they will not try and use force to retake the island. They are gathering support via the UN to make the UK negotiate as per various UN resolutions.

I should imagine the UK's case was weakened after Thatcher tried to off load the Falklands onto Argentina with a leaseback scheme back in 1980.

Would you expect the same from the Shetlands, Orkneys, Hebredies, Isle's of Man or Wight?

They are all part of the British Isles not some bloody godforsaken palace on the other side of the world with a bit of diplomacy this could have been sorted out many years ago but like all of these problems both sides go at it like a bull in a china shop.

For there own sake they need to be able to get on with there neighbours why should they expect us to shell out millions to defend them just because many years ago they decided that they did not like living with us our country was not good enough for them so they moved to another part of the world.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Wouldn't mind betting it is insignificant compared to how much we waste in Afghanistan, Iraq and any number of other pointless conflicts dear old Mr. Bliar let us get dragged into.

That is another thing what the hell are we doing pocking our noses in to all of these stupid wars all over the world I say get rid of the Army build up our Navy and Airforce that is what we need to keep us safe.

Beat me to it Penelope, secondly, why would the money go to the islanders?, it would go to the government that granted the exploration licences and then the companies that put the money up up front to explore and then produce. Confused with the original question.