kit carrying options

I went out on my own today for a few hours and had to carry all the usual kit by my self across much of the fields, needless to say it was testing. Its not the weight of the kit but the bulk of it on various straps.

What does everyone else do to carry their stuff? I was thinking of a fishing carrier???

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a shame really that I cant use my son for this, the problem is he is only three and I can see some issues, 1) he's three and his little feeble body cant carry much before it would buckle under the weight and 2) he wouldn't stop asking why to everything and scare the pigeons.

Will have to lug me own **** then and wait until he is older.

I have acquired(nicked off the wife) what I can only describe as a robust old ladies shopping trolley, this one has a telescopic handle, pouches and pockets on all four sides. It has ply covered in a black cloth so is strong enough to be that all important seat. Its even a good height to stand up from though I usually don't bother. It had a couple of small rollers on the base which was fine on hard, flat ground but not good going across ploughed fields so I got a couple of £6 kids scooter wheels with center bearings(off the bay, of course), and attached these instead.

I can get the camo,spring sticks, lunch, a drink and anything else in the large side pouches at the front and sides. The gun, hidepoles and floater rods sit in the back pouch and are bungee-roped to the handle.

Inside there is loads of room for decoys, cartridges etc, even a couple of floaters with their wings still attached. I strap a large ammo bag so it sits on the top of the trolley and away I go. Not a single thing round my neck except the dog whistle. I think I could even get a rotary in including battery but as I rarely use it I have yet to find out.

I have also made it work as a rifle stand so I can use it to zero in.

I have though I would get a camo covered cushion to put on top but I wouldn't want to get too comfy as I would possibly fall asleep during those quieter moments.

(IIRC the wife got it from a retired Pampered Chef rep. It is what they use to carry all their demo gear in)

Anyway, It works for me and has made quite a difference to my shooting experience.

GH

Army surplus rucksack believe they are called bergins?

And travel light, gun, shells, hide poles, stealth net, dozen shell decoys, bit of mod net, lunch, flask and 20 cigs, plenty space left for dead birds........... But it might also be because when your under 30 you don't break a hip walking to your hide. Eh old lads lol

+1 on the fishing holdall, my holdall will take gun (in slip) hide poles has pockets for catridges (in boxes) also holds fold up seat and my fishing umbrella just in case get caught in torrential rain. Will hold loads of other items if required and cost 7 quid from Aldi about 5n year ago. Nets etc in a bergan

I have acquired(nicked off the wife) what I can only describe as a robust old ladies shopping trolley, this one has a telescopic handle, pouches and pockets on all four sides. It has ply covered in a black cloth so is strong enough to be that all important seat. Its even a good height to stand up from though I usually don't bother. It had a couple of small rollers on the base which was fine on hard, flat ground but not good going across ploughed fields so I got a couple of £6 kids scooter wheels with center bearings(off the bay, of course), and attached these instead.

I can get the camo,spring sticks, lunch, a drink and anything else in the large side pouches at the front and sides. The gun, hidepoles and floater rods sit in the back pouch and are bungee-roped to the handle.

Inside there is loads of room for decoys, cartridges etc, even a couple of floaters with their wings still attached. I strap a large ammo bag so it sits on the top of the trolley and away I go. Not a single thing round my neck except the dog whistle. I think I could even get a rotary in including battery but as I rarely use it I have yet to find out.

I have also made it work as a rifle stand so I can use it to zero in.

I have though I would get a camo covered cushion to put on top but I wouldn't want to get too comfy as I would possibly fall asleep during those quieter moments.

(IIRC the wife got it from a retired Pampered Chef rep. It is what they use to carry all their demo gear in)

Anyway, It works for me and has made quite a difference to my shooting experience.

GH

Come on G.H. let's see some pictures! :good:

Was going to ask the same question,

Just come out of the worshop, Have spent most of today condensing and recondensing kit, :no:

I know the place to be tomorrow and its a good slog,

I have a converted golf trolley with large wheels but its still a pain.

Have seen a powered fishing trolley but its on 4 wheels . Don,t think it would work very well.

I used a sledge during the snow so i am going to try that.

Its a shame really that I cant use my son for this, the problem is he is only three and I can see some issues, 1) he's three and his little feeble body cant carry much before it would buckle under the weight and 2) he wouldn't stop asking why to everything and scare the pigeons.

Will have to lug me own **** then and wait until he is older.

behave nothing wrong with child labour get another year under his belt and your sorted matey lol

Edited by swiss.tony

I bought the trolley below for £20 from Amazon and a fishing box for £5 at a car boot sale. All the ammunition. hide and decoys etc. fit inside the box (and the dead pigeons can go where the ammunition used to be, well that's the theory!). Poles and seat sit on top of the box held by elastic straps. Works very well EXCEPT after rain when the wheels just clogged up with mud which made it very difficult to move

I plan to make a skid plate to go underneath so that on muddy days it will slide rather than roll as the wheels are quickly removable.

post-63822-0-58113400-1366181454_thumb.jpg

I bought the trolley below for £20 from Amazon and a fishing box for £5 at a car boot sale. All the ammunition. hide and decoys etc. fit inside the box (and the dead pigeons can go where the ammunition used to be, well that's the theory!). Poles and seat sit on top of the box held by elastic straps. Works very well EXCEPT after rain when the wheels just clogged up with mud which made it very difficult to move

I plan to make a skid plate to go underneath so that on muddy days it will slide rather than roll as the wheels are quickly removable.

attachicon.gift1.JPG

Excellent, so you can replace a 250 cartridge space with 4 woodies :lol::lol:

Don't exaggerate, for 250 cartridges I'd hope to get at least 5 pigeons! The "plan" was to fill the box with pigeons and then strap what had been inside the box on the top (mainly the hide nets) but that hasn't happened yet.sadly.

The only thing I got so far with this new set up was a hernia from dragging the locked up with mud wheels across a field.

I spent ages playing around with bag combinations.

Ive now settled on a Nash SpaceShuttle holdall. This is the bivvy size not the brolly one, second hand £25 and a life saver. It takes the hide in a middle section a fold out bit that straps round the hide takes my bouncers, rotary etc.

On the back theres 3 fishing rod holders, these take all my decoys and my shotgun slots in and straps on.

If im staggering for several fields (i dont use a 4x4) i will use an old collapsabe fishing wheel barrow.

A board on this gives me a perfect hide seat.

I use an old fishing box and trolley too. The box contains 2 nets, 12 FUDS, 12 shells, spring sticks, head prop wires, big clamps for nets, ear defenders, battery for rotary, empty hessian sacks for dead birds. The cartridge bags, rotary with arms and poles all strap to the top of the fishing box with bungee straps. I carry the gun. It is a bit tricky on uneven ground but its even worse with all that gear tied to me. The one thing I need to find is a suitable cushion for the box as you get a square backside after a full day sat on the box.