Car insurance renewal rant - multicar is not cheaper

hedge

I used to be with Tesco. They added £100 to my premium last year for no apparent reason to renew my policy. As a new customer I could have got it for less. Wasn't happy with that.

Changed to Admiral as they offered multicar and it was £150 cheaper for my car and SWMBO to be on same policy.

This year the joint renewal is £200 more - £120 of that for me and £80 for her. £350 instead of £230 for my policy.

I'm older (not wiser), the car is older blah blah blah. ***?? Why has it gone up so much?

So to save me all the hassle of shopping around etc, they will charge me £120 more to renew my policy - "there's nothing for you to do". Oh yes there is.

To top it off I get one of those Money supermarket "your insurance is due for renewal" emails that tells me that Admiral come out top with £230. ***?? Why am I paying £350?

I ring them up. I tell them that my renewal is way too high. I have been quoted £230 by their own web-site and what can they do.

Admiral "Oh that's fine, we can match that".

Me "How is that possible - I thought multicar was cheaper"

A "Not always - we are different companies"

M "I'm sorry"

A "We both trade as Admiral but are different companies and use different scoring criteria"

M "So I'm better off having 2 single policies than 1 multicar - the one that is meant to save money"

A "Yes"

So there we have it. I now have 2 individual policies for £200 less as multicar costs more (to me anyway).

Where is the logic in that?

So - check your renewal and don't assume that multicar is cheaper.

Complete madness ( but I am £200 better off for a 10 minute call)

*End of rant*

When you get your new quote through from Company A just go on Money Supermarket or similar and find cheaper Company B. then just ring Company A and tell them about Company B 's lower price (Including a bit of exaggeration) and Company A will then usually match it. I do it every year with 4 vehicles and house insurance......saves £100's a year. As people have said....they try it on if they think you will not be shopping around.

Lots of good replies!

I am now (slowly) learning the games that they play.

I am not a loyal customer who has 10 years ncd and should be rewarded with lower premiums.

I am a cash cow who can't be bothered to check my renewals?

Unlucky. I checked - you lose. I played the game - got a competitor quote (actually it was from their own web-site) and you matched it.

Why can't they ever make it simple?

All set for house insurance renewal in May though. :good:

Just renewed mine last night. re-newall was 280 and they left out the provision to drive another car even though it's a fully comp policy,(it was there last year) so decided to look around and got the same cover with third party cover on another car for half price 140. Doesn't make any sense these insurance companies, ah well there loss.