Laptop recommendations

the enigma

My pc has packed up,and as it's close on 9 years old I'm thinking of getting a laptop. Now I know even less about computers than I do about shooting, so I'm after some recommendations, don't need anything all singing,all dancing...... just something that will do the basics well.... the laptop equivalent of a CZ.lol

It'll be used for browsing and working with an on line record keeping application for work. I'm not into gaming or watching movies online. So any relevent suggestions would be appreciated?

Cheers

Davey

ACER ASPIRE 5750 is what i am using,couple of years old now so newer model will be out

spec is

INTEL I5 2.4GHZ WINDOWS 7

HD GRAPHICS 3000

1760 MB DYNAMIC MEMORY

15 INCH SCREEN

6GB DDR3 MEMORY

750 GB HARD DRIVE

DVD SUPER MULTI DL DRIVE

spent ages looking and this at the time was best value for money....would recommend one

Mikky

Edited by mikky

My pc has packed up,and as it's close on 9 years old I'm thinking of getting a laptop. Now I know even less about computers than I do about shooting, so I'm after some recommendations, don't need anything all singing,all dancing...... just something that will do the basics well.... the laptop equivalent of a CZ.lol

It'll be used for browsing and working with an on line record keeping application for work. I'm not into gaming or watching movies online. So any relevent suggestions would be appreciated?

Cheers

Davey

ACER ASPIRE 5750 is what i am using,couple of years old now so newer model will be out

spec is

INTEL I5 2.4GHZ WINDOWS 7

HD GRAPHICS 3000

1760 MB DYNAMIC MEMORY

15 INCH SCREEN

6GB DDR3 MEMORY

750 GB HARD DRIVE

DVD SUPER MULTI DL DRIVE

spent ages looking and this at the time was best value for money....would recommend one

Mikky

Changed my expensive Sony Vio for a .....hp Pavilion g6 ... very .. very pleased with it.

Just bought a Lenovo G580 (goes under several other numbers) last week and waiting for the courier to take it back. The touchpad is total pants so they can have it back-the replacement arrived yesterday and guess what? same problem.

Edited by bruno22rf

Tbh as long as you get a brand you should be ok spending no more than £350. Pc world always have deals on hp etc. Or you could go for dell. Either way, for what you want, anything will do. (coming from an ex it salesman (hack & spit I know)).

Changed my expensive Sony Vio for a .....hp Pavilion g6 ... very .. very pleased with it.

:stupid:

+1 for the HP Pavilion. I went for an HP because of the longevity of my old one which still works but doesn't have Wi-Fi, etc.

The Pavilion has to be the simplest computer I've ever set up, it virtually did it all itself! Seems to be fairly crash proof, has a long battery life and a nice keyboard complete with numeric bit on the side, as per a real keyboard, I input a lot of numbers.

Sadly I bought it from PC World but avoided the teenage "experts" (I work in IT, yeah right) as I'd done my research online.

For school use, we buy Toshiba. They are reliable in demanding circumstances. The websites I usually buy from are ebuyer.com or uk.insight.com. If you have kids and it is for their use, you may be able to buy a laptop through their school and save the VAT.

Nick

After I'd sent my Acer back to repairers for third time I asked which were the best laptops. He said they rarely have Toshibas in to repair and Samsungs good too. Worst because they are constantly repairing are Acer and very surprisingly....Sony. Apparently it's all down to the quality of the soldering on the motherboard. If the solder is dull it won't last. If it looks bright then it will. My advice. Ring up a few laptop repairers and see which they would buy. You don't need top of the range for what you want.