.22 shooting in back yards

My old man has chickens this past year and things seemed to have been going ok, uptill now that is.

For some reason Jackdaws an Magpies have been trying to raid the eggs as well as eat their grub put out for the chickens.

Now i have a .22lr and an open ticket. Would it be legal for me to buy some .22 shorts and shoot with in the grounds of my fathers garden. Its about 60yrds long and 20yrds wide with terraced gardens of similar length an width either side. I know an air rifle would be better but i aint been able to get the one i want yet. So will have to use my LR till i buy my new air rifle.

So how do i stand legally chaps

DD

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fine legally as long as nothing leaves the garden shot wise, I'd do it very early hours or when no one is about, and obviously assumes there aren't houses directly behind and you can use an upstairs window etc to get a decent downward shot

fine legally as long as nothing leaves the garden shot wise, I'd do it very early hours or when no one is about, and obviously assumes there aren't houses directly behind and you can use an upstairs window etc to get a decent downward shot

There are terraced houses either side of my fathers house. The patch of ground i'l be firing to is fresh dug earth where the chicken scratch. No chance of any rebounds coming back against the houses. I can use my old bedroom window to shoot from if needs be but the garden is on a natural downward slop so will be able to use the shed at the top of the garden for concealment and its about 50yrds max range to target area from there.

Next door neighbours are ok and used to seeing me when i had my air rifle out back when i was living there and one does a bit of shooting but has no air rifles any more. So i should be ok to shoot now i know i wont be breaking the law.

DD

Edited by deputy dog

If you have a open ticket for the .22LR & you have permission to shoot the land as long as no bullets leave the boundary you are perfectly legal

Im open on all calibers Blackbird mate upto .243, so i'l be making a dent in them hopefully some time this weekend with the LR.

Just be very careful you comply with the terms of the general License

No worries there mate, iv been to see the neighbours an told them what im going to be doing. All is good an no one said they were concerned

with what i was going to do, as the birds have been causing havoc with their crops and plants over the last few weeks, so they have told me, most

probably nipping the new shoots looking for moisture. So it looks like i'l be doing a service for a couple of them if i knock a few crows off.

The kill area is at the bottom of a sloped garden and its a patch of earth that has been dug recently, so its soft as a babies behind. I will only be using .22 shorts

and not the sub sonics as its only 50yrds max from the shed to the area. Any missed birds an the bullets can safely be caught in the soft earth safely with the confidence

of no rebounds happening.

DD

Don't think I would take the chance it may be legal and all right with people either side

Someone a few doors down might not be happy and all it would take is one phone call

I can see where your coming from mate, but as i stated in a post or 2 ago, all my neighbours who have known me for years, all know that i shoot and has seen

me shooting in the back yard with air rifles for over 20yrs now. I would say 90% of them wouldn't know an air rifle from a bullet rifle especially a silenced .22lr

using shorts doing 30ft lb or so.

I'l be doing it early morning and will be done by time most of them will be up and having breakfast. And like its been stated if its legal then what law am i breaking

so to say. I have an open ticket on all my rifles, I have permission to shoot the ground and all safety has been checked an will be rechecked before shooting

commences. So in all honesty I cant see the harm it will do except to a few Jackdaws an Magpies.

DD

Edited by deputy dog

All sounds fine...except for the shorts! In my experience they have been useless. Between 3 of us and 5 rifles we have never been able to get any sort of grouping and eventually gave up trying.

I got a sub 12 ftlb air rifle and a mate had his rapid tuned to fac. Good tools for the job we had to do.

I am sure others will have had more success with .22 shorts though.

Edd

IMO if its legal and necessary then go about your business. Nice of you to speak with the neighbors though. :good:

Thanks mate, it is necessary as the crows are just running amuck in the back gardens, chomping stuff and bullying the song birds off the bird tables and feeders etc.

I used to keep them in check over the years with an air rifle but i aint had one in say 4 yrs since i upgraded to FAC rifles and they have got to confident in their raiding parties again..

So untill i get my new Huntsman Regal in next month or so, the .22LR will have to do for now.

As for the neighbours then, i think its proper i treat them as i treat my permission land owners, with respect. Iv gave them the date an time i will be shooting and

all near enough said they will be in bed at those times. So i got no worries of people being in the gardens at daybreak. I can let myself in to the shed as i got the

key and my parents wont be disturbed to much with me being there. So all is good for a few hours crow bashing, not sure how many times i will need to

have a go at them before they get the message, hopefully just a few times over the next month.

DD

All sounds fine...except for the shorts! In my experience they have been useless. Between 3 of us and 5 rifles we have never been able to get any sort of grouping and eventually gave up trying.

I got a sub 12 ftlb air rifle and a mate had his rapid tuned to fac. Good tools for the job we had to do.

I am sure others will have had more success with .22 shorts though.

Edd

My mate who i bought the Sako Finnfire rifle off, said their great through the gun and accurate. Im in the midst of buying an Huntsman Regal in the next month or so.

So i can get back to using that then to do the job of keeping the corvids in check in the garden. But the .22lr will do for back up at the mo.

Hopefully i'l bag a few with them shorts, if not then perhaps the subs will have to come into play.

DD

My understanding of Open Certs is that you are tasked with judging whether the land is safe to shoot over or not providing it has been (or likely to be) passed for use for the firearm in question. The place you describe would not be deemed suitable for a rimfire and I personally would not use one there. The fact you have not got access to an air gun is neither here or there, that is the correct tool.

I have had an Open Cert for over twenty years but have reverted to air guns in circumstances far more rural than yours.

I'd agree with hamster on this. The land isn't really big enough. If the bullet were to hit a stone just under the surface it could easily end up somewhere you don't want it.

If the land wouldn't be cleared for that calibre you could be in a sticky situation.

Can you not buy/borrow a cheap air rifle until yours arrives?

My understanding of Open Certs is that you are tasked with judging whether the land is safe to shoot over or not providing it has been (or likely to be) passed for use for the firearm in question. The place you describe would not be deemed suitable for a rimfire and I personally would not use one there. The fact you have not got access to an air gun is neither here or there, that is the correct tool.

I have had an Open Cert for over twenty years but have reverted to air guns in circumstances far more rural than yours.

The powers that be have stated that, for open ticket holders, the use of .22lr's in back gardens in urban environments for fox control is perfectly legal and acceptable. Their only suggestion is to advise the local police when doing so in case a resident sees or hears a gunshot.

One can therefore assume that the same policy applies to all vermin.

Edited by CharlieT

Ultimately if the soil is soft and its an upstairs window and any ricochet is not going to head off in the direction of a house then there are no real issues, using a .22lr early no one will even know you are shooting. I've shot rabbits here during the day with the HMR in similar circumstances, wouldn't make a habit of it but a single bang no one takes any notice.

You are under the same rules with an air rifle as you are with a firearm as long as bullet dosent leave the garden all is well.

As Charlie has stated urban fox control is carried out using rimfires also people control deer uisng deer cal rifles quite safley dont think the licencing authorties would clear any of these.

Atb Lee

Edited by LEE243

I've been shooting foxes in urban gardens since my certificate was opened. I've never had an issue with safety. Make sure your backstop is 110% and crack on. It's perfectly legal and plenty of people do it. There was even the fella on a tv programme about foxes shooting out of someone's upstairs window with his .22lr. I don't think for a minute he'd have wanted his face on telly of he wasn't 100% sure that what he was doing was legal.

A larson trap might be even better+more effective!

couldn,t agree more,a Larson trap is ideal for this situation and saves having to worry about straying bullets, but have to say an air rifle would be my first choice,