Alcohol

Pinkella

What do you drink at home if you do and how often do you consume it and how much do you consume?

I have gone from not drinking at home ever, then I hit my late twenties and for some reason started having a couple of glasses of wine most nights, to having a bottle every night and now or certainly the last 3 years I only drink at the weekend, having the odd glass of wine in the week. As much as I love wine and vodka, it doesnt really do me any favours short term or long term apart from at the time as long as you are not drowning your sorrows!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't tend to drink at home, if i do it'd those little stubbie bottles as i forget i've got a beer when watching the telly so it goes warm :lol:

I've been drinking a little too much recently (int pub) so decided to knock it on the head a bit. Saying that its the pool league final game tonight so i'll most likely have a few jars there!

Nothing, I win bottles of wine at work, 37 on the shelf last count but I end up giving them away as I never feel like drinking at home.

I only drink 3-4 times a year usually and end up fgairly drunbk so not against drinking but seeing people who couldn't not have a drink when I ws younger rather put me off non social drinking.

I'm a spirit drinker, whisky as a rule. As far as home drinking is concerned, less than once a week is about the pattern I try to stick to. I've found myself enjoying rum and coke just recently and tend to find I have about 1/3 of a bottle at a time. I will break the one a week rule if I go to the pub with friends, but that's not a regular thing now I've quit playing pool.

It would be all too easy to slip into heavy drinking. I very much enjoy it and the stuff I drink is usually strong. I don't tend to get hangovers either which doesn't help - there's nothing to put me off of having more other than will power! On a heavy night I can see off a 70cl bottle of single malt with absolutely no trouble, but that happens maybe once or twice a year.

The quitting pool was mainly down to the drink. I could easily put £50 over the bar in an evening and it suddenly dawned on me that I gave up clay shooting when we bought our house to cut down on my spends. I'd rather shoot a few rounds of skeet for my £50 than drink it, so have decided to restructure my social life a bit!

Was a frequent drinker in the past,and ALWAYS got drunk as I couldn't see the point going out 'just for a couple'.

However,I have never drunk at home,and very rarely drink at all now.As a result I'm a total lightweight now therefore the effects of alcohol hit me quickly,and as I resent losing the next day I prefer not to drink at all.Would rather be doing something I want to do the next day rather than sit on the sofa nursing a hangover.

I like a drink here and there but several times throughout the year I will abstain for a duration partly to give my system a break and recoup but also to ensure that there is no dependency on it. It can creep up on you without realising, as others have said including the OP. Having grown up with an alcoholic in the family I'm acutely aware what it can do to you (and your family, not to mention those who were once your friends).

I'll have bottled ale at home which the Mrs gets me when she goes shopping (unless I'm abstaining). Usually have a single malt on the go as well. One bottle will last a couple of months or so as I'll have a nip Sunday evening after dinner. Then the decanter will sit empty until I feel I would like to fill it with something (like a single malt which is on offer). I also like my own sloe gin though the winter. I've just put a couple litres of brandy in with some wild cherries which the Mrs & I picked on Sunday to turn in to cherry brandy.

At times when I've had a bit too much I (and I don't mean drunk), I feel it the next day. I certainly can't drink the quantity I used to and neither do I want to but it does affect you differently as you get older. I dare say there will come a time when I will give it up for good. But not yet :wink:

For the record I'm currently abstaining, possibly until the end of the month, maybe longer.

on average twice a week sat and sun night as i am off work sun and mon

drink is normally glass of red or a whiskey but just had my 50th birthday and i got 4 bottles of whiskey 5 bottles of single malt and a bottle of jim beam from mates also had bbq round mine for it and there is a dozen bottles of wine and 40/50 beers so i guess i had better get my drinking head on

colin

I don't drink much either. Occasionally I'll have a beer socially at a BBQ on a hot day - if my wife is driving us home (she doesn't drink at all - maybe the odd very weak Pimms or something). I don't believe in this - "I'm allowed 1 and I can still drive". Even if you've had one you are more impaired than someone who has had none.

I'll have a drink probably 3 out of 5 weeknights, and pretty much guaranteed both days of a weekend, only of an evening though.

But it's A drink. I drink Bacardi and Coke, not because I particularly like it (Whiskey is my poison) but because my body doesn't object to it.(I suffer acid reflux, alcohol can trigger it but, Bacardi doesn't seem to unless I cane it.) On a weekday, after dinner I will pour a glass which holds 3/4 pint more or less, it will have an inch of Bacardi and filled with diet Coke and ice, and that's it. Once that is gone I very rarely have a second during the week as I'm up at 5 the following morning and secondly I have no desire to go to work hanging.

I think it's an age thing. Like Pinkella I really started drinking heavily at home in my late twenties/early thirties (as opposed to drinking really heavily in the pub!), a bottle of red a night, more if I had company, then I met met the firebreather and she too likes wine, we were doing 3 bottles every night between us, (and 20+ fags a day BUT I WAS FITTER THEN THAN NOW!!!), however, as the years went on, the really extreme sessions of plenty of wine, followed by 1/2 bottle of single malt resulted in ever worsening hangovers until finally I had to accept that I couldn't hack it anymore.

I'm fortunate, no, we're fortunate in that we were both able to say, sod it, enough is enough, time to back it off and we can do so quite easily! We both still drink regularly, but to excess.... VERY rarely for me now. Tonight is a perfect example althoug as a change I've had a bottle of cider, won't be having another. SWMBO probably blows out once a month. I suspect I will drink less and less as time goes on now, too busy doing other stuff!