Some sound advice for any newbies..

steveyg

Decided to treat myself to a paid days shooting, Having read a few positive reports I contacted John at Action pigeons and arranged a day in Nottingham over barley..

John set up the hide,put the decoys out and set up the magnet/flapper and kite explaining why he positioned certain bits of kit where and why.

They started to come in nicely but for some reason I was missing more than usual and couldn't believe the number of birds tails I hit without dropping them.

At one stage I had to get up and take a break as I was getting very frustrated with myself for missing so many.. :sad1:

After my previous PB of 15 which I achieved last month I set myself a target to improve my PB to 30 during Aug.

Finished the day on 41 pigeons and a crow...... :yahoo:

I should have doubled this though... :oops:

Through John tweaking the decs/floaters/flappers they were coming in beautifully...

some sound advice for any newbies..

If you live within a 100 mile radius of derby and have no land to shoot over then contact John...its not just a day but a fantastic experience..

Cheers John.. :good:

post-63989-0-85220500-1375816677_thumb.jpg

Well shot mate..

Being perfectly honest it was bad shooting...should have doubled my bag

fantastic day though..really enjoyed it

looks like your holiday has got off to a great start bud if i see any tailess pigeons i'll get em for you.that is if they ever decide to start combining around by me.forcast is dry so fingers crossed .

Fingers crossed you get some good sport soon...if they come in like they did today you will be very happy...

good shooting that pal, i know folk who have shot for years and years and still hit 1 bird to every 5 shots, dont be hard on your self,cheers simon....

Cheers Simon

the frustration was being fueled by the fact I have never had that many birds to shoot at before and wanted to make the most of the opportunity..felt like a kid in a candy shop :yes:

Cheers Simon

the frustration was being fueled by the fact I have never had that many birds to shoot at before and wanted to make the most of the opportunity..felt like a kid in a candy shop :yes:

it is bad news when you finaly get chance to shoot loads and you miss, but you have to pick just one out of some times ten and it is hard work, most of the time if you just aim in front of its beak you shouldn;t go far wrong, when i shoot pigeons i always just get a small space between the pigeon and the end of my barrels in the direction its flying, usualy it pays off ,cheers simon....

Cheers Simon

What a fantastic feeling! To be honest some misses could probably attributed to the excitement and adrenalin with a little dose of frustration. Take a deep breath relax take your time and pick your shots.

We have all been there buddy and you did bloody well and I'm sure actionpigeons would agree, some days it's like you have homing missiles in the chamber lol

Karpman

What a fantastic feeling! To be honest some misses could probably attributed to the excitement and adrenalin with a little dose of frustration. Take a deep breath relax take your time and pick your shots.

We have all been there buddy and you did bloody well and I'm sure actionpigeons would agree, some days it's like you have homing missiles in the chamber lol

Karpman

I think you are spot on here..!

Thanks for all support lads,really appreciated and yesterday was another huge learning curve.

Looking forward to the next day out...!

off to devon for a couple of days to get some brownie points from her indoors...I have promised not to step in a single gun shop... B)

Steve, i had the same issue when i first went hide shooting, too many times did i get over excited, like the advice previous take a deep breath, and relax, we all shoot better that way. great shooting and hope that your bags increas

Kat.

Hi steve, dont beat yourself up to much mate it happens to us all if were honest :/ the worst thing you can do is see a large group of birds coming in and then change your mind at the last minute. pick your target and stick to it, shoot it and then move on to the next one ,if you miss you miss dont dwell on it just try and make sure the first is a nice clean kill as much as you possibly can and im sure your ratio will soon improve. Ive known john for a good number of years now and shoot with him quite often and he allways does his upmost to put us under birds , its not always about big bags just enjoy it .P.S on the plus side of it jenna had a nice steady day :lol: . WHAT A DOG . :):shoot:

I think you are spot on here..!

Thanks for all support lads,really appreciated and yesterday was another huge learning curve.

Looking forward to the next day out...!

off to devon for a couple of days to get some brownie points from her indoors...I have promised not to step in a single gun shop... B)

crikey, may be just the one :whistling:

Great report and a very fine day out with Actionpigeons. I knew that he wouldn't disappoint you.

Whatever you do you must not worry about your shooting if the new gun fits. Just try some dry mounting with your normal shooting jacket on and if it comes up well each time then stick with it.

By the way, what is your next pb target?