Decoying with a rifle

deaquire

In another post I was asking about how to learn how to shoot a shotgun. Funds simply aren't going to allow for the time being and I've not worked up the courage yet to ask if one of you guys or gals can come on to my permission. So...I have a couple of rifles, one of which is a .22 RF, could I decoy pigeons with this? The pigeons need hitting and I can't afford a shotgun or lessons. I know I couldn't shoot them out of the air, but surely a good few must land on the ground? I could shoot them then. A decent hide and a few decoys is gunna be a hella lot cheaper than learning shotgun.

If this is a real stupid question I apologise, i Just thought i'd get your views before I commit. Otherwise i'ma have a load of decoys and a hide and nothing to do with them :/

Air - NO!. Shooting pigeon on the ground with a very good back stop is fine. The backstop could be tricky depending on your ground.

If I were you I'd contact Wabbitbosher on here who will sort you out a shotgun to shoot pigeons with for very little money. .... he is an RFD and a great bloke.

There is an episode on Fieldsports Britain of an Old chap that decoys using an air rifle.

As the others have said you need a good backstop or shoot from a high seat or build a tower using cheap scaffolding but as pigeons usually dictate where your going to shoot this may not always be possible.

Its a shame your not closer as Id be happy to take you round a clay ground for the day and show you the ropes.

Does that mean I should stop shooting pigeons out of the trees? C''mon guys, I'm new but I ain't stupid. I hadn't considered shooting from a vantage point, wouldn't that make it more difficult to conceal yourself though? The land I shoot on is perfect for rifles so back drop isn't a problem, but vantage sounds good. Back of the tractor would be plenty high but curious how do I hide myself?

are there any trees that could be useful? if so, I'd be more tempted to sort myself out with a permanent/semi permanent high hide. that's much easier to conceal more naturally than anything stuck on or around a tractor. That's what I use when shooting my air rifle over decoys. They're very easy to build and if the tree is nice and mature, you don't damage the tree at all. Mine's been up there for donkey's years and it's still perfectly serviceable and the tree is great as it's got plenty of ivy that works as natural cover. they can also double up nicely for fox platforms if that is of any further use.

if the tractor is the only option (i'm guessing it's not going to be used too much?) then just follow the usual camo rules: make sure you're well concealed and not incongruous to the general background and keep movement to a minimum. trial and error might be the way forward.

have you sussed the flight lines out?

Could get a shotgun for £25 but I don't even know how to load the things, let alone what ammo to use, how to aim it, how to clean it, etc etc.

It's two tubes welded together that open at one end and the other end goes bang when you pull the trigger! A lot more simple than a rifle!

Are you sure you are experienced with firearms? It seems very strange to be reluctant to get a shotgun because you don't understand them yet you have rifles...

Edited by oscarsdad

Does that mean I should stop shooting pigeons out of the trees? C''mon guys, I'm new but I ain't stupid. I hadn't considered shooting from a vantage point, wouldn't that make it more difficult to conceal yourself though? The land I shoot on is perfect for rifles so back drop isn't a problem, but vantage sounds good. Back of the tractor would be plenty high but curious how do I hide myself?

I am not sure if this reply was tongue in cheek , if not then yes you should stop shooting pigeons out of trees with a 22 RF !

Ive tried decoying with an air rifle but its long winded and pain staking. Yes they will land in your decoys but once they realize you decoys are not real there off so you have limited time to get lined up. Shotgun every time for the little *******. You get such a buzz from taking them out in flight, every one is different.

You can do it, just set your decoys out at your zero range with an apropriate back stop and keep tweaking your pattern until you get them landing. It will be a boring day though pal !

But it will teach you how to set a good pattern and hide building.

You will have more fun with a shot gun but as you said money just doesn't allow at the moment.

I tend to sit up in the hay loft and shoot corvids and pigeon with my 22 hornet and can be quiet a relaxed day :)

• 2 weeks later...

this has got to be a wind up

Why? .22 ammo is half the price of shotgun ammo, weighs nothing compared to 100 12g shells. The shot/kill ratio with a rifle is usually well over twice a good as that achieved with most shotgun users, so effectively less than quarter the cost. Travelling is as light as you can be. Lying up somewhere means you don't have to bother with nets,poles, seat etc. Its less likely to disturb the area around you. If the guy hasn't the money for a shotgun and has a .22lr, there is no reason not to have a go. Its possible he won't get a big bag, but that's not everything. The perms I have, I share with others and its so shot out at the moment, that bothering taking the shotgun out is a frustrating waste of time. The last 10 or so outings with the shotgun haven't equalled the bags I've had with the air rifle. For the foreseeable future, I shall use the air rifle, .22lr and the .17hmr for bagging a few. At least it will get me out. The only consideration is safety and that applies to all shooting. I'm sure the op has that covered. Go for it deadquire :good:

Edited by turbo33

Some of the land I shoot over is heavily shot and the pigeons are often very decoy shy/fussy. By putting out good quality,flocked, deeks about 70 yards from a hedgerow they seem more confident to come in-a silenced .22rf using subs can then provide a reasonable days sport. The pattern has to be kept clean as the slightest oddball (such as a pigeon laid upside down looking like its undergone serious surgery) will put them off.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to decoy with an air rifle a lot before I had fac and shotgun. There is one permition I still have that is much more suited to a rf and some times I have so little time I can't get a hide etc set up so haunching down with a rf gets me more shooting time.

That said its much less successful for me and you will always get a much better result with a shotgun.

Apologies for the delayed reply - been a hectic couple of weeks.

It's two tubes welded together that open at one end and the other end goes bang when you pull the trigger! A lot more simple than a rifle!

Are you sure you are experienced with firearms? It seems very strange to be reluctant to get a shotgun because you don't understand them yet you have rifles...

Yes. I had a good knowledge of small bore rifles before I got my firearms, I then asked a friend to mentor me, also prior to applying for my firearms. He taught me the basics of rifle maintenance and usage. As well as the safety considerations which I had sound knowledge of already. I know how to aim a rifle, I know how a scope works and I know where the bullets go. I don't even know how to load a shotgun. How would I know that if I've never handled one? I don't know what size cartridges are good, what length of barrel is appropriate for what I need, I don't even know the effective distance of a shotgun, nor do I know where to aim when attempting to shoot a relatively small target shifting at a relatively fast pace. I've looked into clay lessons and they seem quite expensive for my budget at this moment in time. I think many people would criticise you for even trying to compare a rifle to a shotgun. Even from my extremely limited shotgun knowledge, I know they are two very different tools. I can drive a car, should I jump in an artic and claim myself to be proficient?

I am not sure if this reply was tongue in cheek , if not then yes you should stop shooting pigeons out of trees with a 22 RF !

Very :D

You are clearly used to the .22 rimmie; What range can you take standing hares at?

Never really gone out for hares. Rabbits I can hit at 80 yards fairly comfortable if it's quiet - with a makeshift rest. Around 60 yards standing. I've been contemplating buying a synthetic stock as with a varmint barrel as I feel I'm capable of hitting the mark at a further distance from standing.

this has got to be a wind up

Why's that? I've obviously got a lot to learn and I don't think applying for my shotgun cert right away is the best idea.

Where in NY are you mate. I may be able to help you?

Near Catterick, just south.