wildfowling coats

ratty1

What's you're preference ?

I've bought over the years hundreds of pounds worth of coats from a mojority of the top brands that apparently are 100% waterproof, well there not and I'm fed up of getting wet and spending stupid amounts of money. I currently own a pro-logic and its not bad but it still leaks in heavy rain. Contemplating going back to an ex army gortex type jacket, never leak but sweat your balls off the minute u start moving.

What's you're preference ?

I've bought over the years hundreds of pounds worth of coats from a mojority of the top brands that apparently are 100% waterproof, well there not and I'm fed up of getting wet and spending stupid amounts of money. I currently own a pro-logic and its not bad but it still leaks in heavy rain. Contemplating going back to an ex army gortex type jacket, never leak but sweat your balls off the minute u start moving.

Last season I splashed out on a River West, although it is lovely and warm it doesn't breath the amount of sweat it holds inside is unreal. I've also found that when it rains, although it's 90% waterproof, it hold all the water and it ends up weighing a tonne!!!

This season I am going to be using my old Airflo wading jacket I bought for fishing, breathable, nice and short when you sit down and totally waterproof.

I recommend Kammo range . I had a dpm one lasted comfortably 10 years. I liked its ruggedness , possibly the only downside was that it felt a little

heavy when rainsoaked and some may say expensive. Currently use prologic jacket which doubles up for fishing, not too expensive but retains moisture. The Velcro wrists straps tend to go. Have not tried goretex yet but from my experience it is difficult to avoid some moisture from sweat. I have found that provided you use good quality fleece underneath it will 'wick' your sweat to inside of jacket thereby keeping you dry, so not a massive problem

I would say it depends on where you shoot and time of year, reedbeds in September are green and lush, they aint in January. Mud is mud, sand is sandy...so I tend to use a goretex wading jacket as they are short and designed for, guess what, yeah wading and a suitably coloured jacket on top, usually cotton British DPM or lighter foreign (not sure which, prob swiss/dutch) DPM for winter reeds and sand, wax jacket or goretex/nylon DPM for mud as it is fairly close a match and can be hosed down easily.

Edited by henry d

Ayano3, Barrold - Where did you guys buy your Cabella's from? Direct from the US or are there UK stockists?

Cheers

Hi mate, i got mine direct from the states off the website. You pay a far whack for shipping and taxes mind.

Think Christopher Columbus brought Ayano3 his jacket back from the states. I reckon they used to go to school together. He'll be retiring soon so i'm sure it won't be long till his jackets on ebay

I got mine as a gift from a American guy who stayed in the UK with me to do 2 weeks pigeon shooting. I didn't ask for any money for the shooting but he got me a great Cabelas coat and lined trousers in return.

Barry, remember whos your guide this year.....hope you have good waders that take nice warm urine again hahaha