Howa 1500 or Tikka T3?

njc110381

Which Rifle?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Howa 1500 or Tikka T3?

• Howa
    • Tikka

Right chaps, yet again I've gone and stumbled across a question that I can't quite make a decision on. I was perfectly lined up for buying a Howa, but then the chap in the gun shop who sells both suggested I give the Tikka some thought.

To compare, the Howa I want (fluted blue) comes in at about £600. It's not available in stainless and will cost me another £100 to get a magazine kit for it. I'd also have to get another insert for my mod to change the thread - £85. So, £785 to get not quite what I want as I'd really like a stainless gun. Now the Tikka. They have both blue and stainless, blue at £775, the stainless lite on sale at £890 - lets call it £100 more for arguments sake. On equal terms that makes the Tikka slightly cheaper for me, or the stainless £100 more.

So, which would you choose? Tikka or Howa? I had a T3 once and it was a good gun. It has some cheap bits that niggled me, but then most guns do unless they cost a fortune!

I did think about Wilf. Dauntsey have been very helpful emailing me back and forth though. They carry a good stock of what we need and they're friendly blokes. They also saved all their Hornet brass for me on the range day which I thought was very good of them - the money in the charity box didn't do them any favours at the end of the day and they were still happy to collect it all for me. I'm going to buy it from them even if it costs a bit more.

I've not been that impressed with Savage guns. I've only shot three of them but I don't really like any of them. Just personal preference. The X-Bolt is very similar to my A-Bolt, and I'm half doing this because I want a change of scenery.

One thing I have just noticed - the Tikka is also 2lb lighter than the Howa. That will make quite a difference when carrying it around all night.

I'm not biased, I have both Tikka and Howa.

Both are equally as accurate and manufacturing tolerances are comparable.

The T3 light stock, although some complain about its hollowness, is rigid does not bend and is proven to work.

The basic Hogue stock on the Howa is definitely flexible and not compare to the Tikka. You really need to choose the Hogue with the full bedding block or the B&C as Tharsus suggests.

As far as the barreled actions are concerned there is nothing in it other than weight and aesthetics.

Don't get hung up on fluted, your only complicating matters. In the real world it matters little and should be the last deciding feature.

Don't forget to weigh up scope mounting differences.

Decide your priorities, Stainless/blue, stock, weight and not forgetting fit/feel/fancy and finally fluting.

The choice would then be T3 blue or stainless or Howa blue or stainless in your choice of stock + mag kit + mod bush. Both with sporter weight barrels.

Of course if you want to get rid of the **** plastic on the Tikka you will need to replace the, bolt shroud, trigger guard.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Price the above up, stick a pin in the donkey and make a decision !!

If weight is an issue............................Go Tikka.

When i wanted a new rifle I tried both Howa's and Tikka's. I preferred the T3, just seemed to feel better in my hands and in my shoulder. in the end I didn't buy either, instead I went for a cheaper and older Lakelander. It was cracking gun for the money, well built and very accurate, shame there's not many knocking about.

I have both and although both are good rifles the extra action quality bolt and trigger on the tikka gets my vote, the hogue stock is complete pants on the howa

I'm surprised you consider the Tikka action superior to the Howa. The action design and manufacturing tolerances on Howa seems, to me, to be far better.

An interesting article by Chuck Hawkes on the best factory actions..............http://www.chuckhawks.com/finest_bolt_actions.htm which njc may find interesting.

I have a T3 and my brother in law has a howa1500 both are in 223 to me the T3 is far better than the Howa it takes both factory and reloads without any problems where as the Howa is very ammo fussy with quite a few getting stuck as you try to load it.

Saying that my Howa 1500 which is in 308 is also a good gun but if at the time I could have afforded the T3 that would have been my 308 gun.

Sam

Can't see there's much in it. Doubt if they can be seperated in accuracy. Try both and go with whichever floats your boat. Howa gives you more spec options, and I believe I'm right in thinking the Tikka comes in a 22" barrel or 20" for the varminter. I'd rather have 24" to make it easier to load for, which you can with the Howa. The bendy Hogue fore-end has been mentioned but you don't give a stock preference. Howa do quite a nice laminate. Reliable floating and properly rigid if you don't mind the weight.

I like the triggers on T3s but otherwise they do feel a bit tinny to me, especially next to my 595. The Howa feels the nicer rifle to me. Its what I'd go for.

I don't see its worth losing any sleep over it.

Howas tend to be underrated and Tikkas are far from the best in the world.

Tikka appears to be 3-1 up in the pole, that is NOT reflective of the individual marques.

Someone said stick a pin in, the difference is marginal and almost certainly personal, either or both should serve you well, Tikka has the edge for me, but by a fraction!

:good:

I'm swayed a bit towards the Tikka. I've had a laminate stainless and it fitted like a glove. My mate has two lites, a 6.5 and a .222 and the .222 is the most accurate factory gun I have ever fired. I can shoot five rounds touching at 100 yards with that rifle, it's good. The trigger being the main plus - that's as near perfect as I've ever used. My old 6.5 trigger broke like glass.

Going for the Howa I will be taking a punt on how I get on with it. I know I can shoot the T3 bullet on bullet which to be honest takes some beating. It's going to be the Tikka I think.

I'm swayed a bit towards the Tikka. I've had a laminate stainless and it fitted like a glove. My mate has two lites, a 6.5 and a .222 and the .222 is the most accurate factory gun I have ever fired. I can shoot five rounds touching at 100 yards with that rifle, it's good. The trigger being the main plus - that's as near perfect as I've ever used. My old 6.5 trigger broke like glass.

Going for the Howa I will be taking a punt on how I get on with it. I know I can shoot the T3 bullet on bullet which to be honest takes some beating. It's going to be the Tikka I think.

Chicken

Edited by malkiserow