It's not just about the shooting

oscarsdad

I have just got back from a couple of hours out on my permission with the air rifle after a few bunnies...I didn't get any as the crop is too long really and I should have taken a shotgun instead....but I have come back thinking how privileged we are to have access to areas of the countryside where few others do, and we can be out there with it entirely to ourselves...

This evening I parked the car in the edge of the big wood and as soon as I looked down the hedge saw a hare...I watched him for a few minutes as he hopped towards me with no idea I was there....a wonderful sight (apart from the little *** of a horsefly that bit my hand whilst I was looking through the binos!).

On turning the corner of the wood I watched a fox enter the corner of the rape so I decided to go over to the other side and leave him to it. Stalked a couple of bunnies but as usual, the "I'll just get 5m closer" meant they legged it. I had a wander around and saw a couple of buzzards, a kestrel, plenty of pigeons but not many rabbits. So I had had a pleasant walk around the perimeter of the field, saw a green wood pecker and another hare. Having almost made a complete circle of the field, I spotted a rabbit and a hare out in the open so went into slow stalk mode (after the rabbit not the hare before anyone comments on hares with an air rifle - I don't shoot them)

I got to within about 40yds and then I realised I was not the only one stalking them...the fox was in the edge of the rape and he was stalking the hare...so I stopped and just watched through the binoculars, willing the hare to realise what was happening...like having my own private live nature programme. The hare wasn't daft and soon realised he was about to be dinner so turned on the afterburners and was gone...The fox looked more annoyed at his lack of dinner than you would have thought a fox could look! He looked straight at me, almost as if he knew he had an audience then turned tail and disappeared into the wood.

Anyway, a bit of a sentimental rambling, but I enjoyed my evening despite not firing a shot.

Edited by oscarsdad

Certainly not rambling...

I love the wildlife out in the open countryside. Very humbling.

I was watching a bird of prey yesterday, possibly a buzzard attacking a crow in a mid air display of agility, speed and precision. I was willing the BOP to make the kill and take down the crow! Spectacular spectacle!!

Edited by BRNDL

Cracking wite up and account of your few hours mate, a real pleasure to read. I have always said that it is not about pulling the trigger whenever you have any legal quarry in your sights, it's more about enjoying, appreciating and learning from the wildlife and the countryside around you!

Everyione of us is blessed with some stunning countryside and some wonderful sights - If only we are prepared to puit the time and effort in to look for them and appreciate what we are seeing, and sometimes learn from what we see!

Good write up.

I quite agree. I've seen fantastic sights when I've been sat stock-still in camo. Owls sat just a few feet away, Muntjac almost in touching distance. Tree-creepers the same. I put up a post last month about all the wildlife that was making use of our Pheasant covers.

The other thing that I really appreciate about this country is that we can roll around in the undergrowth without having to worry about spiders, snakes or big cats. Just be aware of Adders and ticks of course.

Sweet :good:

Good write up.

I quite agree. I've seen fantastic sights when I've been sat stock-still in camo. Owls sat just a few feet away, Muntjac almost in touching distance. Tree-creepers the same. I put up a post last month about all the wildlife that was making use of our Pheasant covers.

The other thing that I really appreciate about this country is that we can roll around in the undergrowth without having to worry about spiders, snakes or big cats. Just be aware of Adders and ticks of course.

Sweet :good:

Good point about the ticks...keeper friend of mine has just been diagnosed with Lymes disease.

That for me is the post this year :good: All the posts about "its pest control mate" are, imho missing the point entirely and your post is what I feel its truly about. :good::good: Thank god there are people like you out there that deserve and appreciate the permissions they have :good::good:

Edited by turbo33

Went out last friday on my permission looking for crows. not one about I was a little miffed, so sat down to wait, see if anything came back,

looked into the sky to see two buzzards flying overhead calling to one another. Sat and watched them for 15 mins, amazing site.

Think you are right we are very privlidged to be able to get into the positions that we do.