Any Jehova's witnesses on here

pegleg31

My six week old boy is having a blood transfusion tomorrow and I'm sat here devastated and feeling useless that I can't do anything to help him. This got me thinking that if I was a jehova I wouldn't even be able to let him have a blood transfusion which will most probably save his life. I've not made this thread to knock jehova's and really don't want it to turn into one, I just can't get my head around why someone wouldn't do anything in their powers to help their children.

Russ

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each to their own. Religion is a powerful thing in the right (or wrong) mind. Perhaps their faith outweighs their fear.

I know what you are saying my mother's a happy clapper but when you have to make that choice I just can't see how faith could stop you from helping. I used to work with a polish jehova and I admired him for some of his believes but some I just can't get my head around

This is a can of worms.

If there was a member of that sect on here I think that they would probably not come forward due to your own circumstances.

We all wish your son the speediest of recoveries .

After your son has recovered maybe you could approach them and gain answers to you questions

Hope everything works out fine.

This is a can of worms.

If there was a member of that sect on here I think that they would probably not come forward due to your own circumstances.

We all wish your son the speediest of recoveries .

After your son has recovered maybe you could approach them and gain answers to you questions

Hope everything works out fine.

Not sure if my son will recover this is a on going condition that could affect him all his life. Personally I respect everyone's views even if I don't agree with them, it's just until you're in that situation does faith really cut it?. It's like we'd all like to say if your partner cheated on you that would be it and you wouldn't take them back but if it happened to you would you really throw years away?

I am not a Witness but I am the senior Biomedical Scientist in a district general hospital blood transfusion laboratory. As a result, I am involved in the regular review of our clinical guidelines surrounding this issue. Their beliefs which many people (myself included) find very hard to comprehend can cause us a few headaches from time to time. On the other hand, their organisation funds a fair amount of research into alternatives to transfusion which is beneficial to all of us. Many hospitals also own "cell salvage" machines thanks to funding from their churches.

Great Ormond St hospital very helpfully has their protocol for families which refuse blood in the public domain, you can read it here.

http://www.gosh.nhs.uk/health-professionals/clinical-guidelines/protocol-for-families-refusing-blood-and-blood-components-including-jehovahs-witnesses/

A paragraph of note which relates to the most emotionally & ethically sensitive part of this subject is copied and pasted below:

Blood components can be administered in order to save life, despite parental refusal or refusal of the child.

Provided there is time, two consultants should document clearly in the child's notes the rationale for the necessary blood component(s) (Rationale 13). This should be to save life or prevent serious permanent harm.

If the need for transfusion of blood components is urgent but allows time to consult the Legal department, a declaration can be sought from the High Court under its inherent jurisdiction. Out of hours the request should go through the clinical site practitioners (CSPs), bleep 0313 (Rationale 5).

I am not a Witness but I am the senior Biomedical Scientist in a district general hospital blood transfusion laboratory. As a result, I am involved in the regular review of our clinical guidelines surrounding this issue. Their beliefs which many people (myself included) find very hard to comprehend can cause us a few headaches from time to time. On the other hand, their organisation funds a fair amount of research into alternatives to transfusion which is beneficial to all of us. Many hospitals also own "cell salvage" machines thanks to funding from their churches.

Great Ormond St hospital very helpfully has their protocol for families which refuse blood in the public domain, you can read it here.

http://www.gosh.nhs.uk/health-professionals/clinical-guidelines/protocol-for-families-refusing-blood-and-blood-components-including-jehovahs-witnesses/

A paragraph of note which relates to the most emotionally & ethically sensitive part of this subject is copied and pasted below:

Blood components can be administered in order to save life, despite parental refusal or refusal of the child.

Provided there is time, two consultants should document clearly in the child's notes the rationale for the necessary blood component(s) (Rationale 13). This should be to save life or prevent serious permanent harm.

If the need for transfusion of blood components is urgent but allows time to consult the Legal department, a declaration can be sought from the High Court under its inherent jurisdiction. Out of hours the request should go through the clinical site practitioners (CSPs), bleep 0313 (Rationale 5).

Do you know much about DBA?

and what level of hemoglobin is safe for a child of 6 weeks, my sons is at 59

I wouldn't be here if my mam and dad were jo witnesses, I was a poorly baby and had to have a transfusion, I remember as a kid my gran answering the door when I was at her house, I have never ever ever heard my gran swear, but she gave the guy at the door both barrels , I asked what was up but she told me to go away, I found out years later that the jo witness people were at the door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My gran ain't no bigot to any religion or. Race etc, my aunt is married to an guy of Indian decendence

Each to there own I say, but how can anyone not give there child the chance of a healthy life is beyond me,

That just my opinion

Atb

Flynny

Do you know much about DBA?

and what level of hemoglobin is safe for a child of 6 weeks, my sons is at 59

I'm afraid my knowledge of Diamond Blackfan is very limited. I probably couldn't tell you much more than you could gain from a quick browse through Wikipedia. I don't think that I have ever knowingly been involved in the treatment of a patient with this condition.

An Hb of 59 is quite low and the decision to transfuse sounds reasonable. I am unable to comment on the significance of this result because so many factors determine how well a patient is able to tolerate a low Hb. Interpreting the results is a job for the doctors, its why they get paid more than I do!

You might already be aware of it, but this organisation could be of help to you & your family.

http://diamondblackfan.org.uk/

In order to accept religion, logic has to go out of the window. No surprise then that a logic does not prevail in matters such as the one that you describe.

So, sorry to hear of the situation that your family has found itself in and, best wishes for a rosy outcome.

I'm afraid my knowledge of Diamond Blackfan is very limited. I probably couldn't tell you much more than you could gain from a quick browse through Wikipedia. I don't think that I have ever knowingly been involved in the treatment of a patient with this condition.

An Hb of 59 is quite low and the decision to transfuse sounds reasonable. I am unable to comment on the significance of this result because so many factors determine how well a patient is able to tolerate a low Hb. Interpreting the results is a job for the doctors, its why they get paid more than I do!

You might already be aware of it, but this organisation could be of help to you & your family.

http://diamondblackfan.org.uk/

I know plenty about DBA my partner who is now in remission and both her kids have it mild, we spoke to dr josu de la fuente before deciding if we were going to have a child what the chances were of it having DBA and if it would have it as mild as them. we didn't go into this blindly it's just her other two didn't need treatment until they were one and are steroid responsive

pegleg31 my thoughts are with you and I hope you have someone with you to share this delicate time.

What's the saying "Until you have walked a mile in my shoes then don't judge" or something like that.

However if someone I knew was stopping a loved from having a transfusion for said reason, I would struggle to understand!

We have to respect others views and opinions as long as they don't ram them down our throats or posts in this instance!

I understand why people turn to religion just like people turn to a hobby or other favourite past time, its all the same, how you choose to spend your time and what gives you comfort.

As I'm writing this post, I'm thinking there is no way in the world I would say no to a blood transfusion for my child if it meant saving their life, I don't have children by the way, but I confident that is what I'm would do.

Edited by Pinkella