Which new domestic vacuum cleaner to buy?

malkiserow

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've got a Dyson and I'd never buy another, total piece of rubbish and wouldn't suck a decent ****! Best we ever had was a Kirby but it cost a fortune and stayed with the ex when we got divorced. I use a Henry to vacuum up in the workshop, pretty good, simple bits of kit that actually pick up the dirt!

Edited by old rooster

As Im a professional carpet cleaner I know what Im talking about on this one, my vacuum is used every day on at least 2 houses and has been going strong without a break down for the last six years.

The vacuum I use is an Oreck XL pro 14 http://www.worldofclean.co.uk/oreck-xl-pro-14.html

When cleaning carpets you can tell when a carpet have been vacuumed well and by the condition of the pile and how much dirt has been removed from the pile, I can say the best vacuums that joe public uses

are Sebo, these you can get from John Lewis and If Im asked to recommend a vacuum these are the ones.

Michael

Just bought a second hand Kirby.

After reading this thread, spoke to wife about how good the Henry is,glad you mentioned it said she,great for a quick run round and doing furniture etc.

Don't clean the carpet how I like it done,had a Kirby when growing up. Quick look online at used and off took at a one less than two years old,too much for the older lady to carry up and down stairs after a few accidents have weakened her wrists.

Quick demo and wife's now happy again :good:

Very good results, has the drive built in so its virtually self propelled.

For between £200-£350 depending on age model used they are good value.

Figgy

My wife just looked over my shoulder and read a little of this thread and has walked away shaking her head. She muttered something about big bunch of hairy shooter types having a discussion about hoovers. Her parting comment was" get one that matches your pinny"

• 1 month later...

Many thanks to all for your thought and opinions.

I had a play with a Sebo as I noticed there was one at work .... very good indeed and will be our next buy when the dyson dies next time.

However, SWMBO does like Dyson so our old one got the refurb service (thanks to this thread) so for 79 quid we got a "new" vac and SWMBO is very happy indeed. the only old bits on our "new" vac after the refurb done at home were - the old power cable, the casing for the brush carrier.

All seals, the motor, the switch, the chassis, wand, pipes, cyclone, dust container, Hepa filter and casings, brush assembly are all new. All done in 45 minutes with excellent customer service.

Thanks again guys and girls

Many thanks to all for your thought and opinions.

I had a play with a Sebo as I noticed there was one at work .... very good indeed and will be our next buy when the dyson dies next time.

However, SWMBO does like Dyson so our old one got the refurb service (thanks to this thread) so for 79 quid we got a "new" vac and SWMBO is very happy indeed. the only old bits on our "new" vac after the refurb done at home were - the old power cable, the casing for the brush carrier.

All seals, the motor, the switch, the chassis, wand, pipes, cyclone, dust container, Hepa filter and casings, brush assembly are all new. All done in 45 minutes with excellent customer service.

Thanks again guys and girls

We and our neighbours both found that one of the major faults with the Dyson was the power cable. Where it was repeatedly flexed at the point where it entered the body it would eventually break, requiring the cutting out of some 6 inches of cable and re-jointing. :hmm:

We and our neighbours both found that one of the major faults with the Dyson was the power cable. Where it was repeatedly flexed at the point where it entered the body it would eventually break, requiring the cutting out of some 6 inches of cable and re-jointing. :hmm:

That is good news then as it is an easy fix if and when it happens :good:

I just hope the motor lasts another 10 years like the first one

My wife just looked over my shoulder and read a little of this thread and has walked away shaking her head. She muttered something about big bunch of hairy shooter types having a discussion about hoovers. Her parting comment was" get one that matches your pinny"

Brilliant!

Man up you big bunch of pansys! (Ladies excused)

Next thread please, the choice is yours;

"Hair dryers" what do you use and why?

Do you moisturise after shaving? If so what do you use?