Is my son to young ?

Hi all I have a bit off a dilemma I have a 7 1/2 year old son who has been asking to come shooting with me is he to young to come and sit and watch only when I hunt he has been fishing with me since he can remeber and is quite and pays attention (not like most his age lol) so any thoughts or suggestions would be greatfully apperciated as not sure he should be around guns at his age ? Thank you in advance all.

I use air rifles only not that that make any difference !!

Edited by norfolkgoose

My lads are 7 and 9 and they have been shooting with me for the last 4 years and before that helping dress pheasants and ducks. They are very hands on where gave is concerned. I have plenty of space at home so they have a 35m covered air rifle range and they can both shoot a 1p at that range. Get them into it young.

go for it ......

I got my first shotgun at 7 yrs. old , a little .410 single shot , couple of yrs. later I had moved up to a 12 gauge remi 1100 .

all I would say based on my own experience with my lad , is 1 keep the recoil to a min ( lightest loads you can , 2 keep the weight down 3 don't take him ALL the time , just enough to keep the interest there , in other words always leave them wanting .

regards eteve

Take him out with you and spend some quality time with him, my lad is 9 and shoots rabbits with me. The first rabbit he shot I showed him how to get rid of the pee, how to gut it and all of the different organs, he really showed an interest in it.

He pesters me to go out all the time now.

not sure he should be around guns at his age ?

I am in the dark as to what you really mean. There is no magic age when a child can "be around guns".

My grandson has been clay pigeon shooting with my son and myself since he was six. He has a 20 gauge auto, after starting out with a 410 single barrel.

The more pressing need is to instil gun safety and responsibility from the word go.

Get the tiny ear defenders out, he's coming along, silly not too, parents foster now and the 6 year old girl is quitehhappy to help breast pigeons I shoot, its nature and tasty too. Bring him out, wrap up warm and have fun.

If you're lucky when your old he might take you out.........

+1 on the ear defenders.