Beretta SP1 Fallin' to bits

MuPPeT_ON_TouR

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got some good and bad news and to tell you the truth will never buy a Beretta again in my life.

Had no news of progress so asked for an update and they were nice and quick to respond.

"The barrel is being re soldered at the muzzle and the knuckle area is being cleaned.

The slight marking beneath the safety catch is to be expected with use and is cosmetic only.

The receiver has not been re-plated. If you require, the gun could be returned to the Beretta factory in Italy for action re-plate, however this will mean that you will be without it for 6-9 months. "

How the **** do you clean something that is no longer there? I suspect it will now have a clear gap between fore end and receiver where it is now cleaned of the plate that has flaked off.. I also think that there will now be an edge to the plating that will in very short order also start to flake when it gets snagged or moisture/contaminates get under I and lift it off.

Has anybody else got horrible marring under the safety switch, I've not got pics yet, but it has made a real mess of the "S" that it slides over when put onto safe.

A 6-9 month wait.... get too ****... send me a new gun...

Please let me know if I am wrong or unreasonable.. very ****** of right now.

Only good news is I will get it back soon. I might just be to OCD/picky to own a working gun.

sorry to hear about ur problems,,my sp1 on its first outing 2yrs ago,,decieded to jam up and I couldn't break the barells,,fair play to sportsmans where I had it from,they swaped it over straight away for a new replacement with 4 boxes of carts thrown in...

you'd expect the build quality to last way past its first year of use,,,i think i would be refuseing return of the gun and be demanding a replacement as its still within warranty (10yrs?) and its not fit for purpose,,its their problem and not yours....give them a dead line to get this matter sorted by, or you will take legal action ! you've got the photographic evidence to back you up...

I know these guns are at the bottom end of the price range,,but for over a grands worth of gun you would expect more...

to add ! ive just looked at my safety catch...tbh Ive only used it once or twice to see if it moves ! yet there is slight polishing over the 'S' where it moves backwards and forwards...if I wont my gun safe I take the carts out and leave the barrels broken ! I don't like to rely on something mechanical !

Edited by simjakcal

After getting ****** off at seeing the bit of weld missing and the finish flaking off I stuffed the gun back in its safe, muzzle down as being new I'm paranoid about over oiling.. It landed on one of the bolts holding the safe to the floor, it is a really small ding, almost unnoticeable unless it is dirty. There was an extra towel on the floor to protect it from these bolts while I got some stiff foam to sort the problem out, but it caught on the barrel taking the gun out and I didn't sit it in place again while ****** off.

This left me in an even more ****** off mood....

I've paid out on member ships, and insurance.. and I might not even have the ******* gun for 9 month of these due to the utter joke that is Beretta customer care.

No lack of lube can cause plating to flake off or weld to fall out.

Tetra gun grease is okay. Did you grease the knuckle joint where the plating is damaged? Is there any marking or galling on the mating surface of the forend metal? Lack of lube there will most certainly damage the finish.

No weld has fallen out because it wasn't welded to start with. Losing the solder web at the muzzles is a common occurence and can happen to practically any double gun of any level of price or quality. It's a 10 minute/£20 job to rectify without troubling GMK.

The overwhelming majority of Berettas run for 10s & 10s of thousands of rounds without failure. Even the most ardent Miroku or Browning fan will acknowledge that very few Berettas ever break. If you ask experienced sporting clays competition refs which make of O/U is most likely to fail to fire the shell they'll all name the same one - and it isn't Beretta!

The SP1 and Prevail Pro Sport are bargains but inevitably with a mass produced product there will be some with minor issues. If you want a gun with forged components and hand finishing be prepared to spend at least 8 times what your SP1 cost.

I owned a Browning 125 'C' grade for 25 years, during the first 6 months the stock split by the hand grip, the stock was eventually replaced on guarantee.

I had three stocks replaced due to cracking over 25 years - very expensive.

Recently I got rid of the gun, sold it at a discounted price due to the stock having another split, I look after my guns very well and they don't have a lot of use, I liked the Browning but I was sick of having the cost of replacing the woodwork!

I now own 2 Berettas and have had no problems with either of them!

Edited by browning123

mines lasted a lot longer than the beretta s looks ;) take it you have a beretta :) most likely went bust trying to produce good quality guns at realistic prices unlike others ..

I have serveral like most coaches they are the main stay of most shooting schools.

My personal one has fire hundreds of thousands of cartridges and still going strong my main coaching guns fire 250 or so cartridges a day!!! That's what I call reliable!! I can then change hinge pins u bolts etc and shoot thousands more can't do that on a lanber!

Yes some new Berettas are having issues everything does from time to time. Still Great guns.

I can take faults with things as it just tends to be my luck. The solder job was never my main concern.

That joint/surface in question has always been greased and it's not even a load bearing/high stress surface... even if it was. ITS only done 350 carts and 4 times in the field!!!

It bubbled up from under so I think the receiver was not cleaned properly before it was coated so never adhered to the metal underneath.

Was it just that spot they didn't clean or was left contaminated?

Or in 1 years time will other bits start to flake off. How can a clean fix it? I will now have an open edge to the plating and I can see that causing nothing but problems. What really ****** me off is the fact they near as damn admitted that to fix the problem it would need re plating but then used the utter joke and threat of a 6 - 9 month time scale to put me off doing what they should do straight off, what sort of service is that?

How the hell does it take 6 to 9 months!!!!!!