Drink driving & run up to christmas

Guest cookoff013

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does make me laugh all this big pretence about being 'tough' on drink drivers. Round here the number of traffic cops has nearly halved over the last 20 years, while more roads are being built and more vehicles are using them. Soooo how many drink drivers are apprehended by a speed camera or by someone hiding in the back of a Talivan with a speed camera? Remember it is all about 'road safety' and 'reducing casualties' :rolleyes: Who exactly is going to enforce any newer stricter laws, the ever dwindling number of police officers, the traffic cops who have fallen in number by nearly half? :lol:

More politicians seeing to be doing something and buying some cheap good headlines, rather than actually tackling the problem meaningfully. A 'medical test' might catch out an alcoholic, but I doubt it will pick up the binge drinkers and drive the next day or the five and drive morons! :whistling:

Guest cookoff013

A year or so ago the police had a campaign about "shopping in a drunk driver and if convicted receive £500.00"...

soon we`d be policing ourselves from a police vending machine!

Drink driving is a real pet hate of mine. More should be done to stop it, but as always these new ideas are just daft. I don't drink from one week to the next but sometimes will be over the limit the next day. I make sure that I don't have to drive when that is the case, but I could easily pass this silly medical!

I think that first time offenders should get a substantial punishment but one that takes into consideration their job, location etc. On the second offence it should be prison and a life ban, no matter who they are. Everyone deserves a second chance but the trouble with the current system is that you get a third, forth, fifth.... A short jail term is the worst you can expect for getting caught and even killing someone is punished fairly lightly in comparison to murder.

Whats worse? A bloke leaving a pub after 3 pints over 2 hours, driving within the speed limit, carefully with no distractions, or someone leaving their home at 7 in the morning in a bad mood after a domestic, being late for work and screaming at people to hurry up and get the f out of MY way. I have seen the latter, and quite honestly I would rather be driven by the former.

There is drink driving, and there is drink driving, certainly a wrong thing to do, but not always one size fits all. I always think its the speed that does the damage.

A drunk speeding driver is the real problem. Would never get in the car then.

Whats worse? A bloke leaving a pub after 3 pints over 2 hours, driving within the speed limit, carefully with no distractions, or someone leaving their home at 7 in the morning in a bad mood after a domestic, being late for work and screaming at people to hurry up and get the f out of MY way. I have seen the latter, and quite honestly I would rather be driven by the former.

There is drink driving, and there is drink driving, certainly a wrong thing to do, but not always one size fits all. I always think its the speed that does the damage.

A drunk speeding driver is the real problem. Would never get in the car then.

Seriously,if you think it is ok then you are a fool,everyone metabolises alcohol at different rates,you will be over the limit and you will be impaired,its not acceptable and if i saw you do it i would report you,better to have you off the road than some child being knocked down because you believed you were ok and drove"carefully without distractions".

One simple solution is don't drink and drive and if you do have a skinfull make sure you don't have to drive the next day.

As far as I am concerned anyone that gets caught and prosexuted for drink driving deserves everything they get, and that is regardless of what time of the year it is, there is no excuse!

If you want to argue the point then first think how you would feel if one of your loved ones got run over by a driver thaf had been drinking before driving.

As far as I am concerned anyone that gets caught and prosexuted for drink driving deserves everything they get, and that is regardless of what time of the year it is, there is no excuse!

If you want to argue the point then first think how you would feel if one of your loved ones got run over by a driver thaf had been drinking before driving.

If you are caught driving whilst under the influence of alcohol, then, as far as I'm concerned, you should get AT LEAST a five year ban and a huge fine. Not that would stop some of them. My son (aged 14) was killed by a driver who was 'over the limit'. The driver actually died at the scene (I shed no tears) but tests proved that he 'would' have been 3 times over. Also, he was already banned for driving whilst disqualified and had only been to court 2 weeks before he killed my son and my son's friend.These 'people' who persistently flout the law should receive a very long custodial sentence. They would probably repeat their actions once released, but at least they would be off the road and other people would be safe. Had this 'person' been given a jail sentence, even if it was a month or two, then my son and his friend would be alive today, enjoying life to the full.

I would be quite happy to see a zero tolerance on drink/driving (and taking drugs) There is no need to drink and drive.

This is my opinion, and I will also add that when I was 18 years of age, I got caught drink driving and received a fine and a years ban. I was marginally over the limit, but that's no excuse. When I crashed my car (black ice on the road) I could have killed my friends in the car, anyone who could have been walking on the pavement when I had the crash, and also myself. Since then (38 years ago) I have never driven any vehicle after I have consumed alcohol (I don't do drugs!)

Steve.

Seriously,if you think it is ok then you are a fool,everyone metabolises alcohol at different rates,you will be over the limit and you will be impaired,its not acceptable and if i saw you do it i would report you,better to have you off the road than some child being knocked down because you believed you were ok and drove"carefully without distractions".

One simple solution is don't drink and drive and if you do have a skinfull make sure you don't have to drive the next day.

I was really using an analogy of whats worse? not saying that DD is o.k, it's bloody not,.far from it. Just saying that most of my experiences of idiots are not 3 pint charlies, but irrational, speeding, reckless A-holes with an attitude. P.s. I wasn't basing my opinion around me, but a theoretical situation with someone else.

If you are caught driving whilst under the influence of alcohol, then, as far as I'm concerned, you should get AT LEAST a five year ban and a huge fine. Not that would stop some of them. My son (aged 14) was killed by a driver who was 'over the limit'. The driver actually died at the scene (I shed no tears) but tests proved that he 'would' have been 3 times over. Also, he was already banned for driving whilst disqualified and had only been to court 2 weeks before he killed my son and my son's friend.These 'people' who persistently flout the law should receive a very long custodial sentence. They would probably repeat their actions once released, but at least they would be off the road and other people would be safe.

I would be quite happy to see a zero tolerance on drink/driving (and taking drugs) There is no need to drink and drive.

This is my opinion, and I will also add that when I was 18 years of age, I got caught drink driving and received and fine and a years ban. I was marginally over the limit, but that's no excuse. When I crashed my car (black ice on the road) I could have killed my friends in the car, anyone who could have been walking on the pavement when I had the crash, and also myself. Since then (38 years ago) I have never driven any vehicle after I have consumed alcohol (I don't do drugs!)

Steve.

you have my sincerest respect, Regards. una.

If you are caught driving whilst under the influence of alcohol, then, as far as I'm concerned, you should get AT LEAST a five year ban and a huge fine. Not that would stop some of them. My son (aged 14) was killed by a driver who was 'over the limit'. The driver actually died at the scene (I shed no tears) but tests proved that he 'would' have been 3 times over. Also, he was already banned for driving whilst disqualified and had only been to court 2 weeks before he killed my son and my son's friend.These 'people' who persistently flout the law should receive a very long custodial sentence. They would probably repeat their actions once released, but at least they would be off the road and other people would be safe.

This is my opinion, and I will also add that when I was 18 years of age, I got caught drink driving and received and fine and a years ban. I was marginally over the limit, but that's no excuse. When I crashed my car (black ice on the road) I could have killed my friends in the car, anyone who could have been walking on the pavement when I had the crash, and also myself. Since then (38 years ago) I have never driven any vehicle after I have consumed alcohol (I don't do drugs!)

Steve.

Steve, I am sorry mate, I didn't realise that you had in fact been faced with exactly the same situation that I had "suggested". I would not have wanted to bring up any upsetting memories for you!

However I totally agree with you that a ZERO TOLERANCE would be more than acceptable in my eyes regarding drink driving!

Steve, I am sorry mate, I didn't realise that you had in fact been faced with exactly the same situation that I had "suggested". I would not have wanted to bring up any upsetting memories for you!

However I totally agree with you that a ZERO TOLERANCE would be more than acceptable in my eyes regarding drink driving!

No worries Pete. It's been 10 years since I lost my son, and although I miss him, think of him every day, and wish that he was able to come shooting with me now, I only have happy memories of him, and the 'upsetting' ones are shoved at the back!

No offence taken mate. :good:

Steve.

a chap up the rd got done for it,first time 1 year ban and fine, he got done again 2 years later thats 6 weeks ago he got 3 years and 4 months ban and £370 fine,again if he pays £150 he can go on a course and get let off with so much ban, that will leave him with 2 years and 8 mouths to do.

My ex wifes partner was caught and prosecuted for drink driving. He was banned for a year and received a £300 fine. But, he was driving my ex's car ( sometimes with my children in it) whilst disqualified. I warned him that I would report him if he did'nt stop doing it, but he laughed. I spoke to a policeman friend of mine, told him where he goes on a Friday night (he was a DJ) and they waited for him to drive off from the club and stopped him. He went to court and was given another years ban and another £300 fine! Where's the justice in that? You get caught drink/driving and get a fine/ban, but to drive afterwards whist disqualified is, in some respects, even worse.

No mention of drug driving? In my humble opinion this is as much, if not more, of a problem. I wonder how many people over the years have thought that, because there is no roadside test, it's acceptable to get off their face on some substance, and drive.

The sooner a reliable test is brought out for this the better, I wonder how many intoxicated folk get away with a breathalyser test every day in the UK?

No mention of drug driving? In my humble opinion this is as much, if not more, of a problem. I wonder how many people over the years have thought that, because there is no roadside test, it's acceptable to get off their face on some substance, and drive.

The sooner a reliable test is brought out for this the better, I wonder how many intoxicated folk get away with a breathalyser test every day in the UK?

prescription drugs are the worst offenders here, millions of people drive on all sorts of pills and medicines they just say avoid driving on some but people i think do it all the time

Edited by overandunder2012