Osteo-arthritis

KFC

Following on from the thread about Gout, I finally got to the medicine woman this morning and the verdict is that I have Osteo-arthritis and not gout as I thought.

At the moment it affects my right thumb worse but my left thumb and big toe also take turns in giving me gyp.

Aaah well, I'm still pretty active and I'm at the age when I'm going to start failing my MOT's due to rusty bodywork. Musn't grumble.

I think I'll need regular massage therapy from my loved one :innocent:

The real laugh is that last August, at the age of 61, I decided to take up Tang Soo Do because I was becoming a bit of a couch potato and to try to keep fit.

Since I started I've suffered Angioedema, Anaphalaxis, Hives, two broken toes, one in May and one three weeks ago, now I've got piggin' arffrytus mainly in my right thumb so on bagwork at last night's training I could only kick with my left foot and punch/chop with my left hand.

Talk about larf :oops:

Thanks for all the tips, I've got an open mind as far as remedies go so keep 'em coming please. Especially from those who suffer from it. :good:

P.S. I'm teetotal so I won't use any suggestions to get ratarsed to alleviate the pain :no:

Edited by KFC

Thanks everyone, I'm definitely going to give the apple cider vinegar a go.

When me ole Mum suffered from it, before she died, she reckoned that giving up red meat helped. We eat mainly Rabbit, Pigeon, Muntjac and Squirrel with game in season so I'm not sure if Rabbit counts as red meat?

I ordered a splint off teatray which, I hoped, would give my thumb some support but leave the rest of my hand free to use, especially when doing Tang Soo Do.

It only cost £5.35 inc p+p and it arrived this morning, having ordered it yesterday afternoon.

It does exactly what I want and I will definitely order a couple more so I can have some for work and some for posh.

If anyone needs details I'll provide by PM. :good:

KFC

Edited by KFC

I use ACV, this one http://ostlerscidermill.co.uk/ with honey http://www.quincehoneyfarm.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=101, I also take this, http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=665&prodid=704&cid=25, and Cod liver oil capsules, like you I've got it in the right thumb, shoulder, left knee, and hip

It will take a while before you notice anything

Good luck with it

I went to the hospital yesterday for my continued knee pain and have been told its bad arthritis for my age (41) and that I need but cannot have a knee replacement as im to young

im now being referred to pain management, sounds a bit BDSM to me which is worrying.

the consultant said it could be hereditary and he laughed when I told him my dad is 70 and runs 3-4 miles 3 times a week!!!

and to think they tell us sport is good for us, I played competitive football and cricket from the age of 8 till 26 by which time my knees were in pieces, lost count of the operations.

ploughed fields and my pigeon shooting gear can be a problem, I must look hysterical struggling about with it all

in short, I feel your pain!!!

I went to the hospital yesterday for my continued knee pain and have been told its bad arthritis for my age (41) and that I need but cannot have a knee replacement as im to young

Got told the same thing at 42, that was 15 years ago and I'm still waiting :(

Now had it in both knees for 16 years, both hips for about 13 years, my left shoulder and thumb for 7 years. The thumb can be the most painful, feels like someone is twisting a very sharp knife in the joint.

Taking the usual array of painkillers and joint supplements etc.but nothing really helps, on a good day they just take the sharp edge off the constant pain.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on OA.

I got some Cider Vinegar and Green Lipped Mussel capsules a month ago. I also got a magnetic copper bracelet a week ago.

The pain is definitely much reduced. It was mainly in both wrists and thumbs, left hip and left big toe. Everything is virtually painless now except for my right thumb, which has always been the worst affected, but that is much better now.

Obviously I'm not sure which treatment is having the greatest effect but I'm just glad it's improved so I'll carry on. At one point I thought I was going to have to give up Tang Soo Do but not now.

Many thanks for all the tips. :good:

Knee and hip Arthur Itis worse for me and minor in some other places I take a zillion tablets daily already and reluctant to take more....

Found a small quantity of Voltarol rubbed into the the painful area gives a quick result as a painkiller and lasts quite a few hours, least now I can get to sleep easier at night.

Walking is also near painless especialy when trying to keep up with the mrs on her scooter (the pavement she demon)

Got told the same thing at 42, that was 15 years ago and I'm still waiting :(

Now had it in both knees for 16 years, both hips for about 13 years, my left shoulder and thumb for 7 years. The thumb can be the most painful, feels like someone is twisting a very sharp knife in the joint.

Taking the usual array of painkillers and joint supplements etc.but nothing really helps, on a good day they just take the sharp edge off the constant pain.

love the "to young" bit as that's an outright lie what they really should tell you is that yes you can have a knee replacement, but as we will have to do another in a few years ( they last 20 odd now) you will cost us a fair few bob so you will have to lump the pain,I was lucky after years of gel injections, ops to smooth off the joint and ending up wearing a brace, I saw a surgeon who said stuff it I will replace your knee, I am now into my second replacement of my left knee (I broke the first he he) I have NO pain I ride a bike EVERY day, so don't put up with and don't fall for the I'm to young bit, its a cost saving lie, by the way I had my 1st one done at 56.

KW

Have you heard about WD40: I do honestly think it worked..

Now that is cheap for less pain, Try it:

Have you actually tried it?

I would be loathe to try it as long term skin contact with petro-chemicals is famous for causing dermatitis.