underseal my van

Paddy Galore!

Hello gents, been trying to get a quote for my van, only problem is i'm having trouble tying my local garage down to a fixed price. So, does anyone have an idea how much i should be paying for shot blasting and undersealing a SWB tranny van? it's recently had an mot which highlighted a few rusty patches on the chassis as an advisory, but no holes yet, which is why i want to get it treated.

Cheers in advance,

Paddy.

Am in the process of having my Landrover done prior to this winter.150 quid for the shotblasting,30 to repaint and around another 40 or 50 to waxoyl.

It isn't hard work but it is dirty work.I'm not set up for it and would have to take time off work to do it anyhow,so have employed a local bloke who is set up for it and does it on a daily basis.

Edited by Scully

My thoughts would be is it worth it if its got rust in it just patch it up when the holes get bad and scrap it when it gets to rusty its not a clasic car after all ether way with a bit of welding it should go on for several years yet and a good thick coat of undercoat can mask what is going on underneath.

Once there are pin holes there you can clean the front as much as you like but the rust will just come throught from the back the only way to get rid of it is to cut it out and weld in new metal and paint both sides with good paint.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

there is a bloke near jsf in norwich who steamcleans and gives 2 coats of waxoil on a 90 defender for £ 90.00.......( he does all the work for jsf and hunters landrover)...if you do it thro them it wil be inbetween £150-200........take it in at 9 and pick it up at 2.........

there is a bloke near jsf in norwich who steamcleans and gives 2 coats of waxoil on a 90 defender for £ 90.00.......( he does all the work for jsf and hunters landrover)...if you do it thro them it wil be inbetween £150-200........take it in at 9 and pick it up at 2.........

Have you got contact details for him? I need to wax oil mine but at that price i'd happily let someone else do it!

Norfolk Truck Wash.........if i remember the guys name who owns it is Adrian......you can google it for the number.....he steams it (highpressure) then blows it off ...leaves it to dry for an hour then thins back the waxoil and sprays one coat leaves it then sprays another coat....he has a big concrete ramp which he uses to run rigs up onto....

okay ?

I personally will never use under seal again. It's so thick that if water gets behind it somehow u don't notice util the metal is severly rusted. Wheras if u just prime and paint and even put wax oil on it u can keep ur eye on it every now and again and get in with grinder or drill and wire brush. I always put that No Rust or Rust Eater on first fairly changes the colour off metal before u paint it.

Anyone know of a similar place / price near Bristol?

Cheers.

I do it at my work, we wash and wire brush all loose material then cavity wax chassis rails/outriggers etc and then apply black wax to the underside. Works well and really does hold any corrosion back and protect against new corrosion forming. I charge between 90+vat (defender 90 size) to £125+vat (defender 110 size), we reccomend that it is repeated every few years.