The "Realy Tasty Bottled Beer" thread.

Frenchieboy

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bought speckled hen variety pack £10 asda,2x speckled hen,2x old crafty hen,2x golden hen.I have tried all 3 and its a toss up between old speckled and golden hen.The old crafty is nice but its the darkest out of the three.But the golden hen is light and it goes down too easy.The old golden hen is like middle of the road spot on just supping one now.

speckled hen is nice out the tap but i dont think much of it out of the bottle, I try to avoid the common mainstream beers as they seem to play off names rather than taste.

Just a tip, the temperature of ale makes a massive difference to the taste. I prefer mine at "cellar temperature" just slightly cold so storing under the sink is about right, out of the fridge is way to cold and you wont get the best effect, the opposite for lager that should be cold.

Poachers choice, its liquorice and damson beer found in Tesco on the single beers shelf and bloody lovely.

That really does sound interesting. I will be taking SWMBO to Tescos towards the end of the week so I will have to see if they have any for me to try!

p.s. I have a confession to make. I let the side down last night and was talked into sharingf a bottle of Red Wine with the boss instead of a couple of bottles of beer!

Sorry guys, I'll make up for it during the week!

That really does sound interesting. I will be taking SWMBO to Tescos towards the end of the week so I will have to see if they have any for me to try!

p.s. I have a confession to make. I let the side down last night and was talked into sharingf a bottle of Red Wine with the boss instead of a couple of bottles of beer!

Sorry guys, I'll make up for it during the week!

I wouldn't worry, I have seen me sharing a bottle or two of wine and still managing a couple of Beers :drinks: .

Well guys, just returned with the following:

4 x Abbotts ale (on a deal).

4 x Hobgoblin (on a deal).

1 x Badger First Gold.

1 x Old Golden Hen. Here is my choice for after dinner tonight. Now to decide which one first and being a Jock with not a lot of knowledge with Real Ale I will just toss a coin. :lol::good: .

3082daf8-9fa7-46f2-a3f9-d349858cc356.jpg

Badgers First Gold is a lovely drop. Years ago Tesco's used to do it in a 4 can pack, and the good lady was well trained in picking up a few on her shopping trip, loved getting in from work on a Friday and enjoying a few cans, feet up, fire on.

I also like a bottle of Double Maxim, the original Vaux'ies stuff was the best, but the remade stuff does the same trick!

Edited by jgguinness

Well, i've had a long hard day and have been on the go from before 8 this morning almost non stop till about 3/4 of an hour ago. Just finished a nice curry and been down to Morrisons for some milk which we were running short of and look what jumped into my shopping basket along with the milk and said "Please take me home with you" :lol::whistling::lol:

post-17172-0-68272200-1382558451_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frenchieboy

Well after not being that impressed with the old speckled hen, I've drank the old golden hen and fursty ferret, and the verdict ?

Old golden hen = not bad, quite a fruity after taste. Probably wouldn't buy it again.

Fursty ferret = really nice drop !! Will be getting some more !

A much more milder taste . I think the others where to strong tasting for my liking, more like a flat Stella.I will be experimenting with some others after dipping my toe into the pool of "beer"

We used to call Newcastle brown ale a bottle of dog cos you used to go home on all fours.

it is called a bottle of dog in regards to the term taking the dog for a walk (going for a pint) or "I have to see a man about a dog"

KW

Well after not being that impressed with the old speckled hen, I've drank the old golden hen and fursty ferret, and the verdict ?

Old golden hen = not bad, quite a fruity after taste. Probably wouldn't buy it again.

Fursty ferret = really nice drop !! Will be getting some more !

A much more milder taste . I think the others where to strong tasting for my liking, more like a flat Stella.I will be experimenting with some others after dipping my toe into the pool of "beer"

You know, I'm not sure that this isn't an all too common mistake that many people make when they choose their bottled beers from the supermarket - They go for the strongest bottled beer possible and find that the strength seems to hide the flavour. I don't see drinking beer as an exercise to see how drunk it gets me any more, I gave that game up years ago, I much prefer to enjoy the flavour of the beer nowadays along with the pleasure of relaxing while I drink and enjoying it rather than just falling over!

Edited by Frenchieboy

I didn't choose them on there strength, they just seemed popular with others so I thought I'd give them a go. I'm sure there are many others I will enjoy, the local asda has nearly a whole isle for proper beer. Some of them are bloody strong though !!!!

It's all so much down to personal preference and who am I to say which one you should enjoy. You will have to make the decision yourself to try as many of them as possible and form your own opinion.

It's a hellish difficult thing to take on this bottled beer testing you know, but someone's got to do it!

Hic!

You fibber you already know how them lot taste.

Nice collection as most are the golden or ruby ales mmmmm.

Had a bottle of Spitfire a nice light ale.

Figgy

He might well know already how good they taste but there's nout wrong with going back for a second (Or third or forth) opinion! :good::yes::good: