How desperate are some people.

gemini52

I am a self employed decorator living on the wirral,i priced a job the other week,a full internal repaint and a feature wall on the stair case,it worked out eight days for two men with materials worked out at 1,700 pounds,the guy had three other prices one the same as mine,one fifty quid cheaper,and one at 1,350,from a husband and wife team,with the promise that it would be done in a week,if not they would give him 160 pounds a day back off the price,i dont have a problem with fair competition but i ask myself were do these clowns come from,

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems every trade is so cut throat these days.

My job involves a lot of contact with car body repairers / painters, and the prices they charge are ridiculous now compared to 20 years ago when I was in the trade. We use to get good money where as now body shops are hacking prices down just to compete with one another.

Unfortunately another sad sign of the times!

Do you believe him, or is he just trying it on? Have you seen the other prices in writing on their letter headed paper?

Has the client gone with the cheapest quote? If not, and he's showing each of you the others prices then he's not worth working for in my opinion as he's just playing you off against each other in attempt to get you to lower your price.

There's nothing to stop him doing this of course, but its a bit of a ***** trick.

I dont wish to sound sexist but I have yet to come across a woman who decorates well. Seems to me to be the men who take care on these jobs.

Its probably a B&Q emulsion job they have quoted for.

I shall await opinions to the contrary.

Funny you should mention this...I'm having my lounge re-painted in 2 weeks and my conservatory re- wallpapered.. Only a small ish job for a pro but I've had 2 quotes..

1. £850

2. £400

How can they be so far apart?? Went for the cheaper one as I think the guy who gave the larger quote was thinking he could make a few quid out of me..and the cheaper guy was more polite and was recommended..

Can't blame him for playing one off against another for a better deal.

It's your choice to play ball or leave, I do the exact same thing and been a self employed tradesman for years in the past.

Never minded people doing the same with me, I would either try and get price down or if no meat on the bone let them have it.

When you buy anything do you just pay whatever price or try to get it cheaper elsewhere?

Figgy

Edited by figgy

I dont wish to sound sexist but I have yet to come across a woman who decorates well. Seems to me to be the men who take care on these jobs.

Its probably a B&Q emulsion job they have quoted for.

I shall await opinions to the contrary.

hahaha..my missus does all the decorating.......a few years ago she went on holiday with her sister,as a treat i decided to decorate the front room,never done it before,took me 2 days to do the living room,stood back and admired my work......she came home...put it this way,i havnt done any since....some of the drops i had put on upside down,and apparently the patterns have to run into each other.... :yes: ...nobody told me

hahaha..my missus does all the decorating.......a few years ago she went on holiday with her sister,as a treat i decided to decorate the front room,never done it before,took me 2 days to do the living room,stood back and admired my work......she came home...put it this way,i havnt done any since....some of the drops i had put on upside down,and apparently the patterns have to run into each other.... :yes: ...nobody told me

Don't kid a kidder... you did a terrible job on purpose, acted dumb, and havent been asked to do any jobs around the house ever since ... your a god damn genius :good::lol:

Funny you should mention this...I'm having my lounge re-painted in 2 weeks and my conservatory re- wallpapered.. Only a small ish job for a pro but I've had 2 quotes..

1. £850

2. £400

How can they be so far apart?? Went for the cheaper one as I think the guy who gave the larger quote was thinking he could make a few quid out of me..and the cheaper guy was more polite and was recommended..

For what looks like a three day job the 400 looks to be a fair price,you will allways get the chancers trying it on.

I dont wish to sound sexist but I have yet to come across a woman who decorates well. Seems to me to be the men who take care on these jobs.Its probably a B&Q emulsion job they have quoted for.I shall await opinions to the contrary.

The woman that does our decorating is the dogs. Trained by her father and a lot of family and friends use her now

If its based on the car you need a better house to get a real glint in their eyes.

Tell them your nice car is nothing but a run around and your man that can usually does this menial stuff but after ten years daily dusk till dawn employment you had to give him time off :lol: :lol:

Figgy

Only a clown would think they could do that amount of work in a week and do it to a professional standard,i have been doing this over forty years now,spent seven years as a instructor,met many people in the trade,some very good but a lot of chancers,

Do you put this information in your written quote (not the bit about the chancers).

Chancers? maybe.Maybe the mortgage is due at the end of the month,maybe they haven't won a job in a few weeks,maybe its the only enquiry they have had in a while,a couple are only paying one mortgage/rent,one van etc.

Many things other than your opinion of the value of works combine to help an individual arrive at a figure.

And maybe they are on benefits.