Fly Tying

chrisjpainter

Just that, like most things try and keep it as simple as possible and then see where it takes you.

I tie the more straightforward patterns easily enough but tend to buy the more complicated stuff

If you search for the Fly Dressers Guild they should have a group near you, you could have a word with them.

I am not a natural craftsman, but i can tie flies which do 2 things. 1. They can catch fish, 2. Tying them gives me a huge amount of pleasure.

Get a basic kit, then have a look on you tube, lots of good examples of tying there.

If you are a craftsman you wont find it difficult, my best pal, is a cabinet maker by trade, and the flies he can make are works of art.

Give it a go.

Tight lines

Aled

Worth practicing casting on and finishing a fly until you are confident.

The sweariness is decreased if your fly doesn't unravel at the last moment.

They don't need to be perfect to catch fish. The biggest advantage I think over commercial flies is you choose the hooks - even basic kamasan B170s are way better than the hooks on mass produced flies

Davie McPhail has a huge variety of videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/DavieMcPhail

Its easy peasy, just start with a few basic proven patterns for the fishing you do. Shop bought flies are not generally tied by anglers and are mostly very weak and overdressed.

Northern spiders are a good place to start and they are killing patterns if not over hackled like most shop ones rivers or stillwaters. Pheasant tails correctly done to the original are actually quite hard to do with fine wire and even harder is finding a bird with long enough barbs on its tail feathers (look for an ancient cock centre tail feather for the longest). Move on from spiders to buzzers and easy nymphs GRHE etc.

Get a book, watch some u-tube etc build on the basics. Oh it aint cheap when you become obsessed but you wont be short of flies

I bought 2nd hand off the bay, best way to start in my opinion. I got around £200 quids worth of materials alone for about £50 and there was also a vice and various tools and threads to get me started. What wasn't included that I needed were small cheap things like tinsels. There is enough to keep me going for years and what I need I can pick up along the way. If I hadn't got the bug I would have easily got my money back should I have wanted to sell it.

As Kent says start of with simple hackle flies, I have always found that tying in the wing is one of the most difficult aspects of fly dressing. Being a shooter there is going to be loads of material from game, wildfowl and vermin. Pheasant tail and hares ear figure in many dressings of traditional flies, the likes of mallard wing in Butchers or its varients, teal in numerous flies stoats tail in salmon patterns the list is comprehensive to say the least.

Blackpowder

How easy is it to make your own flies? It looks really kind of fun and something that takes a lot of concentration, but I know nothing about it, like cost, where to start equipment etc. Can anyone help?

Have you got a trout/salmon fishing club near you ? they might run fly tying night classes through the winter, the Orkney Trout Fishing Association up here run evening classes and my tying improved 500% ! and you get a few golden tips from them about fishing. oh and you will become obsessed . HP.

As Kent says start of with simple hackle flies, I have always found that tying in the wing is one of the most difficult aspects of fly dressing. Being a shooter there is going to be loads of material from game, wildfowl and vermin. Pheasant tail and hares ear figure in many dressings of traditional flies, the likes of mallard wing in Butchers or its varients, teal in numerous flies stoats tail in salmon patterns the list is comprehensive to say the least.

Blackpowder

That's so true, but make sure and store your stock in the freezer a while to kill any mites, it aint funny when a jungle cock cape or the likes gets done via such nasties. If you look at the traditional north country spiders etc. its just like looking into a 1920's game bag from the Yorkshire Dales were many originated from. Strange I have always found it hard to give away such things, yet in the shops something like a hare mask is about 3x the price paid at the gamedealer for a hare complete and real easy to produce

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...