If we could bow hunt who would own a bow

sirgoldalot

If we could bow hunt who would now own a bow?

I have competed in field archery on and off for several years...i still have a bow and a crossbow...field archery is like hunting, involves unmarked distances at 2 d or foam 3 d animal targets.. deer boar wolf etc i am reasonably good at it normally in the top 20 at nationals when i am competing its as real as bow hunting can be in this country, and the technology of the modern compound bow is remarkably accurate in the right hands.

So if we could bow hunt how many of you guys would own a bow?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to do a fair bit of bow hunting back in southern Africa, though only with a PSE compound bow. A friend used a genuine Shangaan hunters bow to take a few monkeys, it was strung with a twisted piece of antelope rawhide! I did some competitive recurve sport here but it all got very bureaucratic so packed it in but I still have and use my traditional American flat bow with my own hand built arrows regularly at home. Would be great on muntjac from a treestand....if only! So yeah...count me in as a follower of the bow.

I would definately give it a go, something about going back in time almost would appeal. I would have to practise on targets a lot first, as don't use one currently. Apparently it's only illegal due to the poaching aspect I heard, but they mainly use dogs these days, and silenced guns are so readily available.

Can you imagine the antis reaction?

forget the uk target archery stuff full ***** bureaucrats have you tried NFAS field archery you can shoot your flat bow there...

http://www.nfas.net

look up your local club...

Just look back at british history with bows god we lead the world....now we can't use them ......most countries allow them for bow hunting still...

Ok to actually hunt with a bow you need good field knowledge to get close enough to prey, or you sit in a tree act like branch for hours until something comes into range which is about 35 yards max with a 70lb compound

so the actual success rate is very low...

If you were accessed for your skills and earned a permit to bow hunt i can see no problems occurring its your idiot minority who go out buy high powered crossbows with bolts with target points and shoot at swans and horses that ruin it for the rest of us responsible hunters...

There is a way licensing with assessments .....

the idiots with crossbows and compound toy bows will still be there regardless

Not for n, have tried field bows shooting targets of boar etc and really enjoyed it (right up until the Mrs destroyed my scores, repeatedly) however I don't think a bow opens a wound channel like a bullet, by it's very nature is "plugged" by the arrow and I don't think I could ensure that as clean a kill would occur, not soft or liberal on the matter but for those reasons it's not for me (not the Mrs beating me if course!).

Hata off to the chaps that do it consistently though with all the field craft etc that goes into it, not easy I'm sure.

Not for n, have tried field bows shooting targets of boar etc and really enjoyed it (right up until the Mrs destroyed my scores, repeatedly) however I don't think a bow opens a wound channel like a bullet, by it's very nature is "plugged" by the arrow and I don't think I could ensure that as clean a kill would occur, not soft or liberal on the matter but for those reasons it's not for me (not the Mrs beating me if course!).

Hata off to the chaps that do it consistently though with all the field craft etc that goes into it, not easy I'm sure.

You use broad heads for hunting game... Not target points .... Broadheads can go straight through a boar/ deer three or four blades like Stanley knives with hardened tips that shatter bone quite lethal but it's down to archers skill in arrow placement hence do an assessment course

Edited by sirgoldalot

I'm in. Joined a target club when I was a youngster and loved it. I guess it was bureaucratic, but I remember it as cliquey more than anything and it just fizzled out.

I have no problem at all with the ethics of bow hunting. Its been an entirely effective hunting tool for thousands of years. Its not the method of hunting that determines whether it is or is not humane, its the proficiency of the hunter and the level of his respect for the quarry. An idiot with a rimfire or an air-rifle who doesn't know what he's doing and doesn't care and goes round maiming rabbits is just as reprehensible as an idiot with a bow.

It would mean pretty much learning the craft again from scratch, but I'd love to take up bow hunting.

A family member in USA (Oregon) keeps posting his bowhunting successes on Facebook - the latest one was a cougar (mountain lion) for which he had a tag (that's gov permission to bow hunt one). I just hope my bunny hugging friends can't see these!!

A family member in USA (Oregon) keeps posting his bowhunting successes on Facebook - the latest one was a cougar (mountain lion) for which he had a tag (that's gov permission to bow hunt one). I just hope my bunny hugging friends can't see these!!

Well I would have a crossbow to hunt so guess that makes me an idiot sirgoldalot.

I used to enjoy playing around with my Barnett with a couple of bolt in bolt shots...kept them as proof, lol.

I would certainly not use target tips although since broadheads are illegal to use in this country still it's probably why 'idiots' use the target points.

Well I would have a crossbow to hunt so guess that makes me an idiot sirgoldalot.

I used to enjoy playing around with my Barnett with a couple of bolt in bolt shots...kept them as proof, lol.

I would certainly not use target tips although since broadheads are illegal to use in this country still it's probably why 'idiots' use the target points.

Im not calling you an idiot because you own a crossbow....its idiots who aim crossbows at swans and livestock that i refer to as idiots.... their hunting skills are zero as are there morals for shooting at anything that moves or stands still as is often the case... you don't often hear of these things happening with full size arrows often its nearly always bolts...though you can shoot full size arrows through crossbows and catapults and certain air rifles nowadays...and bows that can shoot air rifle pellets at well above the 12ftlb limit...

its the person behind the weapon that governs the usage...

this is one reason we still have a problem...... anyone has access to these should be treated as live amo licence holders only...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Broadheads-Crossbow-Arrow-Archery-Head-Bolts-100-grn-UK-Seller-/111066538687?pt=UK_Archery&var=&hash=item19dc14e2bf

disgusting as there is no morals from this seller you can't buy knives on ebay but i think these are far worse and could end up in kids hands..

check out his user name too TOYS my ****** they are

Edited by sirgoldalot

Im not calling you an idiot because you own a crossbow....its idiots who aim crossbows at swans and livestock that i refer to as idiots.... their hunting skills are zero as are there morals for shooting at anything that moves or stands still as is often the case... you don't often hear of these things happening with full size arrows often its nearly always bolts...though you can shoot full size arrows through crossbows and catapults and certain air rifles nowadays...and bows that can shoot air rifle pellets at well above the 12ftlb limit...

its the person behind the weapon that governs the usage...

this is one reason we still have a problem...... anyone has access to these should be treated as live amo licence holders only...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Broadheads-Crossbow-Arrow-Archery-Head-Bolts-100-grn-UK-Seller-/111066538687?pt=UK_Archery&var=&hash=item19dc14e2bf

disgusting as there is no morals from this seller you can't buy knives on ebay but i think these are far worse and could end up in kids hands..

check out his user name too TOYS my ****** they are

I used to bowhunt in the US and i really miss it. If it were allowed here, i would definitely consider it. I haven't gotten into stalking here as rifle hunting doesn't do it for me much anymore. I hunted deer with rifles back home for years and i much preferred bows. I would probably get into deer stalking if bows were allowed here.

Rick

I would like to give it a try but I know I don't have the skill set to execute humane kills that would be me knowing my limits & showing restraint ,.......

therein lies the problem if it was legal you would on one hand have the people who have posted above hunting responsibly but,..

on the other hand you would have every "bell end" who could get there hands on some bamboo & some nylon cord running around the country thinking there rambo.

As mentioned, broadheads cut very wide wound channels. It is different to a bullet. Bullets kill by transferring their massive energy into the tissue surrounding them. Broadheads kill by cutting through major vital organs and causing tremendous internal bleeding. Both are highly effective and each kill nearly as quickly as the other. I have shot deer with a bow that barely reacted to the shot, walked 30 yards, and fell over. I have shot deer with the gun that ran for a few minutes. All were solid front end shots that killed the deer quickly.

And as mentioned, the goal is to have a pass through, which means the arrow zips straight through leaving entrance and exit holes and cutting everything in between. Using a normal setup and making a good shot, a pass through is more than achievable most of the time. People shooting light powered bows or poorly chosen equipment may have issues getting consistent pass throughs asa will anyone who tries to shoot through bone.

Rick

that's a bad stutter

As very few would have the skills to be accurate enough with a bow to hit the right spot for as clean a kill as possible I would not hunt with a bow. I am happy that its not allowed in this country. They used to hunt with bows because that was all they had they used firearms that are much more effective and humane than a bow.

Edited by ordnance

As very few would have the skills to be accurate enough with a bow to hit the right spot for as clean a kill as possible I would not hunt with a bow. I am happy that its not allowed in this country. They used to hunt with bows because that was all they had they used firearms that are much more effective and humane than a bow.

+1

Ancestors shot with bows to hunt for thousands of years, love bow shooting and have a few yew long bows 30, 50 and 70 lbs draw. Have an oak bow in progress, and a maple stave cut and dried, but i don't know what that will be like yet. Its a weird skill, i would support bow hunting, and would like to bow hunt despite the bows limitations. Currently i would not rate my skill level enough to be confident enough to hunt with a bow, but if there were more of a point to practice i would practice more.