GP's letter to licensing

Scully

Does anyone know if this issue was resolved one way or another? I only ask as West Mercia licensing are now insisting each applicant contacts their GP, requests a letter to submit to licensing and then pays for the privilege. Also the CPSA has advised one of its members to comply with this request/demand (?) as to do otherwise could result in either delays or refusal to grant.

I'll be ringing BASC this week to see if they can shed any light, but is this a legal requirement? Anyone know? Don't we already sign applications to give licensing authorities permission to approach our GP's?

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The short answer is no it's not a legal requirement.

It's not a requirement under the firearms act or the recently published Home Office guidance. Durham started doing the same thing a while ago.

BASCs position (according to David on here) is here, http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/262618-attn-david-basc-durham-medical-info-proceedure/page-3

Basically it says they advise members "not to not do it" but they won't say a definitive yes or no. However, if you do or don't do it and have a problem let them know. Which to be honest is a bit late if you did do it and have had to pay for something that's not required by law.

From my recent experience medical reports are being asked for by more and more Firearms Licensing offices.

They have to pay for them but have been rather shocked to find that Doctors are asking as much as £100 per letter.

This is an expense they cannot afford as they only get £50/£40 per application /renewal.

I was told by my Licensing office that they are considering introducing a scheme whereby the applicant gets the medical report and pays for it and then submits it as part of their application.

This introduction of the need for a medical report seems to have been introduced through the back door but on whose authoritiy?

Vic.

I'm currently going through my application for an FAC with Wiltshire and there has been no mention of my GP, letter or otherwise. My FLO visit went well and I had the rifles I've asked for signed off. I'm just awaiting the actual cert to land on my doormat now.

I would say that it doesn't seem to have spread to all licensing authorities as yet.

in my renewal earlier this year the only GP question was -" do you agree that we contact your GP" standard stuff really.

Basc needs to start a national campaign about this. £100 is stupid money and it should be a simple - police to doctor " X has applied to own and use a firearm, is there any medical reason why he should not" ?

If the answer is yes - ok a letter to judge; if not great. How much would that cost surgery admin to arrange, confirm by e-mail and put on file?

I was under the impression that they can ask for a letter but if the GP charges for it the police would be the ones to pay for it as its not legally required.

At the moment that seems to be true but clearly Durham are taking the next step and asking us to pay.

For a REQUIRED system to protect the public, all of this should be streamlined to keep costs to a mimimum and paid for by the police and the public purse - we cant control what they do,ask, any of the costs involved and licensing cannot become a blank cheque - how many could afford such a system and where else does this logic apply ?

The NHS is public purse and should be seen as a FREE part of the system required for public protection. Come on BASC start on Durham - the most inefficient useless force who cant do Firearms licensing properly. Shades of a 'party' in a brewery. Lets have this medical cost nightmare nailed closed.

I would enclose a letter with application stating it isn't part of the legislation, or guidance and they have your GPs details and are able to contact them directly, didn't the GMC say to GP's not to write these letters as GP's can't give an opinion (doesn't stop many doing so)

Unless this becomes Law no one should comply with this, those that do are going to causing more red tape and expense for all of us as other forces follow. With regard to BASC, they need to be much more vocal on this.

Chris

Agreed entirely. The only requirement in law is that you sign the medical authorisation on the official form. Licensing departments should not be employing additional forms or asking applicants to meet extralegal requirements.

J.

It an unusual day - everyone agrees - buit do we all agree that BASC should DO something on our behalf rather than simply issue advice - its a case of divide and rule but if BASC voiced our collective concerns ?

We are the most law abiding section of the UK community are we not ? Otherwsie we dont get to join this club of 150,000

All the more reason for BASC to ensure its Kicked into touch.

Why just BASC? I'd have thought this was an issue for a combined front, BASC, CA, SACS, NGO, etc. to all stand up to it together on behalf of their combined members.

It an unusual day - everyone agrees - buit do we all agree that BASC should DO something on our behalf rather than simply issue advice - its a case of divide and rule but if BASC voiced our collective concerns ?

We are the most law abiding section of the UK community are we not ? Otherwsie we dont get to join this club of 150,000

600k if looking at SGC holders............. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/firearm-and-shotgun-certificates-in-england-and-wales-2011-to-2012

There were 562,696 shotgun certificates on issue on 31 March 2012