Tugged by the fuzz

ferretfiddler

Please pardon my apparent ignorance of this but are we talking about moving from the slip road across early into the carriageway thus crossing the solids at the edges of the slip road, there to guide you?

If so, this should be a minor traffic offence unless others, already on the carriageway have to take avoiding action. I wonder who gets a percentage of the fines these days - I'd love to know - my bet is there will be an 'incentive' in there somewhere for the force doing the nicking and that is simply wrong.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kes I feel for you mate it is wrong. What is wrong with a good telling off and a warning they just seem to want to slap you with tickets these days best just pay the fine and forget about it and be carefull in the future make a point of never let them get money off you again that's all you can do stick to the rules no point in fighting the system you will never win! Best of luck in the future mate.

If that is the average law abiding citizen's once a decade exposure to the police (revenue collectors) then god help the police.

If you go to work, pay your taxes and your only involvement with the police is say once every 10 years for a minor motoring offence (and what the OP describes is minor) then this is not how a stop like this should go down - it should be a telling off, a bit of good cop bad cop and then a warning.

To my mind the government / police would rather take £100 off Joe Average at the cost and expense of middle England support of the Police.

Agree up to a point. I got nicked fair and square for doing 44 in a 30. I have also nearly been taken out by a car coming down a slip road that has two lanes phasing the slip road onto the motorway and a chap crossed the solid line and nearly hit me. A ********** would have done in this case

oh yes its a onea now my mate got done last week for picking up phone while at red lights and plod coming threw in other direction didn't answer it just had a look to see who was calling him .............................plod didn't want to know just straight out with paper work to do him on spot [ and they say its not revenue making]

Propably as they are a waste of time most just take them to avoid points

I would also change the driving test

I was under the impression that once you had been on one course then that was it, as obviously you hadnt learn't your lesson and therefore deserved the points?

:shaun:

Ah, my favorite kind if thread, for clarifiication the force issuing the ticket do not get any of the fine, the home office do and to my knowledge always have, after the courts have taken their expenses etc I'm sure.

In relation to breaking the law it's simple the law is the law and police enforce it and the courts decide guilt if necessary via a jury or magistrate. if you do not think you are guilty go to court and argue your case. Never a fairer system has existed, and it has existed for some time too, copied throughout the world.

For example if my mobile was to ring whilst driving and I picked it up to see who was calling I would be breaking the law as it is written and deserving of my 3 points and fine, if I fancied my chances I could go to court and argue the point however as I had clearly broken the law I wouldnt have a leg to stand on (not picking on anyone it's just a good example), just like going through red lights, excessive speed, not stopping at zebra crossings etc.

Do I agree with all laws, no of course not, that's the benifit of living in a democracy with the right to free speech but I must say that you actually have to break the law to have it feel your collar.

Descretion has largely gone now due to the publics outcrys when people are not arrested etc but it still exists, ie 3 am on an empty road would probably be the time to get the warning rd the mobile phone or crossing solid white lines on a slip road or blind corner.

Might add my old man got his first speeding ticket in 45 years of driving recently and had a course of re education, he wasn't overly impressed and accused me of being a fascist government sponsored tax maker collected as well so I do understand the annoyance you have.

Edited by GingerCat

Ah, my favorite kind if thread, for clarifiication the force issuing the ticket do not get any of the fine, the home office do and to my knowledge always have, after the courts have taken their expenses etc I'm sure.

In relation to breaking the law it's simple the law is the law and police enforce it and the courts decide guilt if necessary via a jury or magistrate. if you do not think you are guilty go to court and argue your case. Never a fairer system has existed, and it has existed for some time too, copied throughout the world.

For example if my mobile was to ring whilst driving and I picked it up to see who was calling I would be breaking the law as it is written and deserving of my 3 points and fine, if I fancied my chances I could go to court and argue the point however as I had clearly broken the law I wouldnt have a leg to stand on (not picking on anyone it's just a good example), just like going through red lights, excessive speed, not stopping at zebra crossings etc.

Do I agree with all laws, no of course not, that's the benifit of living in a democracy with the right to free speech but I must say that you actually have to break the law to have it feel your collar.

Descretion has largely gone now due to the publics outcrys when people are not arrested etc but it still exists, ie 3 am on an empty road would probably be the time to get the warning rd the mobile phone or crossing solid white lines on a slip road or blind corner.

Might add my old man got his first speeding ticket in 45 years of driving recently and had a course of re education, he wasn't overly impressed and accused me of being a fascist government sponsored tax maker collected as well so I do understand the annoyance you have.

so this statement is not true then? as for the law is the law? Andrew Mitchell may argue that.

Police chiefs have admitted setting compulsory targets for handing out speeding tickets.

Officers are being forced to meet quotas for minor speeding offences, seatbelt violations and invalid tax discs.

Those who fail can expect a carpeting --and in the long run it could harm their career, one senior officer said.

The move is expected to lead to a fourfold increase in the number of drivers caught and allow police to net millions in penalty fines.

But it will fuel anger among drivers who feel they are being picked on by police and are seen as an easy source of revenue by the Government.

Motoring organisations said police had put making money above safety.

Traffic department head Superintendent Norman Bartlett admitted setting minimum targets - or 'performance indicators' - for his 240 officers.

Every month, each one has to issue a bare minumum of five speeding tickets in a 30mph or 40mph zone, write up five seatbelt violations, discover three invalid tax discs and hand out three 'rectification notices' for unroadworthy vehicles.

Superintendent Bartlett said the quotas were a 'valid management tool'. He added: 'We do not go out to get quotas. We go out to tackle dangerous driving that could lead to serious consequences.'

He admitted, however, that if one of his officers 'continually under-performs' it might 'adversely affect their career'.

so much for discretion then eh!

KW

Edited by kdubya

Having been involved some years ago when we had the advent of Safety Camera Partnership, all of the revenue made from fines levied on speeders went to the local partnership to implement any measures thought appropriate to reduce casualties in their area - including funding police officers operating roadside cameras. We were looking at developing a funding stream from the speed awareness courses.

I have no doubt that was the right way to go as all the money raised went to fund accident prevention measures and will have saved lives. It had the added advantage of levying the fines locally whilst making local improvements to reduce local casualties.

Things seem to have changed and instead of investing in casualty reduction, police funding from central government may now be dependent upon a level of revenue to the Exchequer from locally levied fines. Those who are concerned should ask under the Freedom Of Information Act of their local Police and Crime Commissioner.

Safety Partnerships did not go for the maximum fining opportunity because the local improvement programme was also funded by the partner local authorities, It was a 'win-win' and I was pleased to be involved, despite once getting caught myself doing 46 in a 40 area !

Kdubya, I totally agree, performan,s fiqures will always be set, they are not representative of policing, the primary object of which is to save life and limb and the prevent crime, some way down the list is detecting crime.

However it is not very differcuilt to achieve the fiqures you mention and if as a minimum these or similar fiqures were not returned people (tax paying public) would rightly wonder what the hell the police were doing for their pay, saying you educated x amount of drivers would not wash would it?.

*sorry about typos, must get a laptop or something.

As for the revenue I stated above, the police do not get it, the governmet do, partition parliament to remove the fines and impose community service instead, the officers won't mind one bit.

Edited by GingerCat

Kdubya, I totally agree, performan,s fiqures will always be set, they are not representative of policing, the primary object of which is to save life and limb and the prevent crime, some way down the list is detecting crime.

However it is not very differcuilt to achieve the fiqures you mention and if as a minimum these or similar fiqures wefe not returned people (tax paying public) would rightly wonder what the hell the police were doing for their pay, saying you educated x amount of drivers would not wash would it?.

As for the revenue I stated above, the police do not get it, the governmet do, partition parliament to remove the fines and impose community service instead, the officers won't mind one bit.

ok as you say the govt get the revenue but you are the collectors, and I would argue that its not so much of a benefit to the chief constable for you to "have a quiet word" than it is to as Micheal Miles would say take the money, sensible compassionate policing is well gone sad to say.

KW

I wouldn't say it was a fair sytem

You get a letter through the door saying you broke some trafffic law

Own up get 3 points and a fine or have the cheek to contest it and they'll double the points and fine

Own up get 3 points and a fine or have the cheek to contest it and they'll double the points and fine

Only if you've done it in the first place!

You may not know what you've done or if you have done anything wrong

Most people will just accept it

Not sure if its changed but the two times I got done there was no proof of the offence sent to me