What are the best after market chokes?

strangford  wildfowler

My advise to you as a young shooter would be learn about and understand chokes, then forget about them. It is of my own opinion that people get too wrapped up with the technicalities, at the end of the day get a decent cartridge in a gun that you can shoot and then forget about everything else and concentrate on that target in that moment in time. Unless you are shooting at a very high standard i.e. serious completion clays then that few % difference in pattern is not going to make a difference in the grand scheme of things. You'd get better results spending that money practising or pattern testing different cartridges to find the best one for your current set up IMO.
If you were looking for a direct answer and this is unhelpful then I apologise. Happy Fowling.

My advise to you as a young shooter would be learn about and understand chokes, then forget about them. It is of my own opinion that people get too wrapped up with the technicalities, at the end of the day get a decent cartridge in a gun that you can shoot and then forget about everything else and concentrate on that target in that moment in time. Unless you are shooting at a very high standard i.e. serious completion clays then that few % difference in pattern is not going to make a difference in the grand scheme of things. You'd get better results spending that money practising or pattern testing different cartridges to find the best one for your current set up IMO.

If you were looking for a direct answer and this is unhelpful then I apologise. Happy Fowling.

+1 :good:

Cheers for the advice guys I was just.wondering do they make any difference, but judging from you lot just stick with normal chokes.

Cheers for the help.

Yes, they can make a difference. I can't get a good enough pattern at range with my factory 1/2 chokes in my 10 or 12. The Terror chokes I am now using give good patterns with large shot at 50+ yards. If you limit your range to 35-40 yards, then factory chokes will probably be adequate. Only pattern testing will tell you if that is the case.

Yes, they can make a difference. I can't get a good enough pattern at range with my factory 1/2 chokes in my 10 or 12. The Terror chokes I am now using give good patterns with large shot at 50+ yards. If you limit your range to 35-40 yards, then factory chokes will probably be adequate. Only pattern testing will tell you if that is the case.

Thanks motty I've heard about these terror chokes and that there quite good do you know how much they are to buy?

Cheers SW

Before I took a dive into the murky world of after market chokes I actually patterned my gun with the existing factory chokes and found that it threw perfectly adequate patterns.

Whilst I do`nt doubt that after market chokes can effectively do as they claim, especially with regard to long range performance,I had to honestly answer the question, can I actually hit birds at the sorts of ranges being claimed? And the honest answer was "no".

So for me at least,they are a path that I`ve decided not to go down.

Let me say there is a heck of a lot of BS spoken of them. Claims from manufacturers are often just saying what the prospective purchaser wants to hear and frankly unfounded. That said I am very keen on pattern testing and I have found the Kicks modified will shoot a better pattern (quite markedly so) with certain shells over and above what the factory modified will in my own gun, the issue is then the gun will pattern beyond the range that 1. I can consistently shoot 2. were the shot has the required energy to kill (unless I get a lucky strike in a sweet spot).

The ported chokes do keep the gun more on a level plane, the downside is they are certainly more noisy for the dog and shooter (though the latter can wear plugs)

As for shortening the shot string- steel is shorter than lead anyway and the main reason you need to commit with confidence to the shot! If one manufacturers claim is correct then I should give those particular chokes a miss.

To sum up if you have the time and facility to test on paper or plate and the cash to lash give it a go by all means, just don't expect a heavier sack walking off the marsh

+1

Half choke with steel its where you put it that counts :good:

That is correct, but when you put your shot on the target, will there be enough strikes to bring it down? If any given choke throws a great pattern at the desired distance, then that's all you need.

For general flightpond shooting I prefer a half choke; i'm unlikely to encounter too many long shots and it'll do the job. But for high flying pinks I want as many pellets on the target as I can muster. For me, a half choke won't provide me with what I want.

i use the standardd 1/2 choke for everything apart from when am after geese mainly canadas i use the patternmaster goose choke which is iv been told is a full choke i find it realy hard hitting on the geese were geese in the same range though the standard half choke i didnt seem to bring them down as easy as said above dont get to caught up on them standard half will be good enough for most situations iv tryed other chokes and always gone back to the standard half

I bought brieley chokes hoping I would instantly become a better shot. The order should be gun fit, skill level and the correct cartridge, don't waste your money unless you need a slight edge on a oponent at a high level. My chokes did not make me shoot any straighter.

I bought brieley chokes hoping I would instantly become a better shot. The order should be gun fit, skill level and the correct cartridge, don't waste your money unless you need a slight edge on a oponent at a high level. My chokes did not make me shoot any straighter.

I like your honesty, very refreshing.

Let me say there is a heck of a lot of BS spoken of them. Claims from manufacturers are often just saying what the prospective purchaser wants to hear and frankly unfounded. That said I am very keen on pattern testing and I have found the Kicks modified will shoot a better pattern (quite markedly so) with certain shells over and above what the factory modified will in my own gun, the issue is then the gun will pattern beyond the range that 1. I can consistently shoot 2. were the shot has the required energy to kill (unless I get a lucky strike in a sweet spot).

The ported chokes do keep the gun more on a level plane, the downside is they are certainly more noisy for the dog and shooter (though the latter can wear plugs)

As for shortening the shot string- steel is shorter than lead anyway and the main reason you need to commit with confidence to the shot! If one manufacturers claim is correct then I should give those particular chokes a miss.

To sum up if you have the time and facility to test on paper or plate and the cash to lash give it a go by all means, just don't expect a heavier sack walking off the marsh

Are you using the KIcks High Flyer chokes?