Sporter or Game gun?

Oli383

Hi guys, hope this topic has not been covered recently. I have narrowed my gun choice down to 2 guns and will decide on which when i get to try both and go with what fits best ect, I have the money just waiting on the licence. Problem is that I am unsure wether to go for the sporter of game versions of the gun i choose?

I will be doing 50/50 rough shooting,pigeons/ clays

Would be nice to know how some of you find sporters for rough shooting and vica versa, I am also a little unsure on barrels have only shot a 30 inch was happy with it but feel this may be to long for the hide and in the hide after the pigeons? Unsure on whether a 28 would be better suited.

I just really dont want to mess this up as it is my first shotgun and I am not quite sure as i have only had 2 lessons and a few other shots and dont know what really works best for me yet, am hoping to get over to Ian coleys and try some second hand and demonstraighter guns on the range and see what works but still unsure for what is best for mixed shooting. Just be great to have as many opinions as possible really :)

Sorry for banging on just really want to get this right :)

ATB and many thanks in return Oli

If it was not for the rough shooting I would say go for a sporter , the extra weight would be of benefit when clay shooting or having a good day on the pigeons.

Shorter barrels would perhaps be more hide friendly and faster handling , but if you prefer longer there is little reason not to have them.

If you really think you will be doing more walked up shooting than clays , then go for a game version.

Game guns will generally be lighter with an auto safe, they generally have a thinner rib as well. I shot one on clays for well over 10 years and had no problems with it.

Sporting guns will generally be heavier, wider ribbed and won't be auto safe. I have now got a DT10 and this is a sporting gun.

Either way, don't let the name get in he way to much as it doesn't really matter. Whatever feels right, is right.

Cheers

Already a wide response.

The bottom line is many people are comfortable either way round, and many birds are dealt with by Sporters and many clays dealt with by Game guns.

I prefer 28 as a General length, but my Silver Pigeon 3 Sporter is 30 and easy to use.

We all have our preferences so get what you are happy with!

the same, a sporter is heavier

Game guns will generally be lighter with an auto safe, they generally have a thinner rib as well. I shot one on clays for well over 10 years and had no problems with it.

Sporting guns will generally be heavier, wider ribbed and won't be auto safe.

Either way, don't let the name get in he way to much as it doesn't really matter. Whatever feels right, is right.

Cheers

same basic reply as above, I now use a lighter game gun with the narrower rib and 28'' barrels, there is no problem in the hide or on clays, choice of cartridges helps a great deal, some are smooth to shoot, some kick more, I use cheddite T2's and extreme game now, have no problems with recoil

Edited by itchy trigger

I wouldn't go spending a fortune on your first gun, or expecting to get your first choice right. If you get a cheaper gun, that feels nice to you in the shop and use it for a few months, you will gain some experience and probably be in a better position to make a more informed choice further down the road.

Ok thanks guys, help, so it really does not matter wich i go for, will deffo try everything and see, just feel one i have tried lots of second hand guns I have to buy on at the end of the day and dont ant to rush.

Thanks

Well, it sort of does BUT.............

For the vast majority of shooters it isn't worth losing sleep over, get what feels right and comfortable.

If you start getting a bit serious or want to take things to higher levels then perhaps you will need to reconsider! :good:

I use my 30" 325 sporter for every thing....I don't get the bit where people say " A lighter gun is easier to carry around when rough shooting"

What happens to the stuff they shoot? As a couple of rabbits a pigeon and a brace of pheasant's far out weigh's the ounces they save on a " lighter gun" when the game bag is full....or not!

What ever you buy, you will adapt to the gun in some form or another.

Having a myriad of guns for different things is beyond me....I think it is just an excuse to fill up the cabinet...in the vain hope their wife's do not find out..

If I was to change my 325, I would replace it with the closest to it but with a 3" chamber to give me a better choice of non toxic shot...

TEH

I have a silver pigeon 1 sporting 30inch barrels that I use for clays, which is absolutely great. Then I have a 28inch miroku game I use for pigeon. Both do there jobs great, the silver pigeon I bought new but have used it in the hide a couple of times, which still worked really well and still hit the same amount, but because of the price I didn't want to ruin it in a muddy field. I've used the Miroku once for clays and didn't do as we'll. so if you was to just buy one gun I'd go for the sporting 30" which will be good for what ever you wanted to do. Good luck in your quest

Why get the auto safe taken off ? learn to shoot with one and you will never go back :no:

You can pull the trigger and make a fool of your self with one or you accidentally pull the trigger and shoot someone without one :oops:

Bought a sporter and had the auto safe put on it :good:

Edited by magman

Why get the auto safe taken off ? learn to shoot with one and you will never go back :no:

You can pull the trigger and make a fool of your self with one or you accidentally pull the trigger and shoot someone without one :oops:

Bought a sporter and had the auto safe put on it :good:

Its called choice, and not everyone with a manual, or no safety, goes round shooting people! :good:

Never even notice turning off the safety before shooting its instinctive for me and as I do a lot of rough shooting a safety is useful if you fall etc. Personally I find a sporter is to heavy walking around all day and if I'm lucky enough to shoot anything the game bag carries then well. I now shoot a 20bore for most stuff except foreshore happy days !