Which Smart TV?

Doc Holliday

Off to buy a new TV this weekend. We looked at Smart TV's at the beginning of the year but decided to wait until we've done our extension and refurb work on the house.

I had in mind the Panasonic Viera but to be honest I'm not keen on Panasonic as they stitched me up over some AA batteries that leaked. That aside, we currently have LG which has been ok. Not fantastic but ok. Their curved screen TV is just silly money at the moment but I'd be keen to know if anyone has experience of their Smart TV range.

Other than that it will probably be Samsung as we'd like a 50" screen and LG don't do a 50". They seem to lead the way in technology and it does seem to be well thought out, even if they do acquire their ideas from the competition, but then that's not my problem.

Any advice/experience would be most welcome.

Have had a Samsung 36" for about a year now and can't fault it. Excellent picture quality & functionality. Don't expect to use the internet much though, inputting text via the remote (moving the cursor round an on screen keyboard, one letter at a time) is like pulling teeth. Even with the keyboard I bought for it it's painfully slow. But the apps like the iplayer, youtube & Netflix are really very good.

If sound quality is a major issue for you, buy a sound bar. None of the flat screen TVs nowadays have very big speakers due to size restraints. Its perfectly fine in my lounge, but I'm not a stereo geek.

There was another quite lengthy thread on this question about a month or so ago if you search the forum.

I had in mind the Panasonic Viera but to be honest I'm not keen on Panasonic as they stitched me up over some AA batteries that leaked. That aside, we currently have LG which has been ok. Not fantastic but ok

Samsung are ok until you get a problem and need customer care, after the trouble I had with an expensive combination oven I wont be buying anymore of their products.

I've found samsung to have very good customer care when my washing machine broke they had a guy there the next day and fixed it foc.

John

Also don't wait for the 4k tvs as there are no channels that run it and a extremely limited number of DVDs aven capable of playing in such high deff.

Edited by JohnFreeman1310

Yep the smart functions are available on a multitude of devices from consoles to bluray players etc

Aah Bluray!..... That would be the thing I parted with £80 for when I got bored of never watching my DVD's on a DVD player... So now I can enjoy never watching them in ever higher quality!

Aah Bluray!..... That would be the thing I parted with £80 for when I got bored of never watching my DVD's on a DVD player... So now I can enjoy never watching them in ever higher quality!

We sort of many now have network connections so you access extra features and exclusive download content (yeah whatever) but some do have iplayer, love film etc as well

Just acquired two Samsung as test panels. 55in 4k. They sound like **** but of course we already know this. Stunning picture once they are properly calibrated.

http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue55f9000-led-4k-ultra-hd-3d-smart-tv-55-with-freeview-freesat-hd-and-2x-3d-glasses/p601224?kpid=232313693&s_kenid=2d229855-4af5-5789-72a8-00000c6fb0ab&s_kwcid=ppc_pla&tmad=c&tmcampid=73#media-overlay_show

If you want to make a serious investment in a panel then OPPO Blu-ray players will give you a ROI. http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/

Edited by Whitebridges

Ok, so we didn't make it in to get the TV just yet. Mrs H was whining that she wanted the ceiling roses finished off (amongst other things), so I spent the weekend fannying around with this and that and not really getting much done. Although it did grant me some valuable thinking time and one the questions I asked myself was 'Do I really need a smart TV if I have the Virgin Tivo box?' Naturally I'll running this past the Richer Sounds guys and see what they have to say but it was interesting reading some of the posts, thanks guys. And a sound bar will be a definite add on.