Roaming Rabbit

Hatcher

I was walking along with the dog along a bit private land and I managed to catch a glimpse of a rabbit darting into the hedgerow.

To cut a long story short, I returned a little later with the trusty air rifle and I managed to snag the blighter.

Astonishingly, this was the first rabbit I have ever shot so you can imagine how I felt after a swift headshot killed it stone dead.

DP2G3nv.jpg

(Photo of Hector and rabbit)

As it was the first, I thought it would be worth trying my hand at preparing the rabbit for cooking. Although I didn't have a clue what I was doing at first, a few youtube videos quickly put me on the right track.

Here was the final outcome:

FV8qyzW.jpg?1

Not the best preparation, but not too bad for a first try! Tasted fantastic in a shredded rabbit salad.

The combination of killing and preparing meat for the table was a new experience for me, and one which I will certainly remember.

Hatcher

One little tip I learnt with rabbit prep is to cut the Achilles' tendon at the back just above the foot, then twist and dislocate foot, keep twisting round until you can just pull it off or just cut through the last bit to remove. Makes a much neater job or the leg and means to sharp bone fragments :-). Good job :-).

Nothing better. For many rough shooting a cooking go hand in hand. I find cooking stuff you have shot very rewarding, i can see you did too; good stuff, lets hope its the first of many to come.

Christmas i made a pheasant and duck terine, huge loaf of it; still had a quarter of it left about a week ago and i was getting bored of it; Chopped it up fine and use is in replacement of beef in a bolognase sauce, so now i have three portions of that in the freezer; i like making up curries, stews and sauces and then just freezing them, nice to have something different.

Good stuff. Congratz on your first rabbit!

Brilliant :good:

You will never forget your first rabbit.....it's a bit like your fir'.......nevermind :whistling:

U.

Its true, the first always stays with you!

I tend to soak them over night in some salt water first, Mark G trick. Then depending on what im making i may poach the meat off the bones in a good stock.

Getting hungry now!

Its true, the first always stays with you!

I tend to soak them over night in some salt water first, Mark G trick. Then depending on what im making i may poach the meat off the bones in a good stock.

Getting hungry now!

Tim.

What are you talking about?

The first rabbit?

Or the fir- what,burger?