break in the weather

evo

well after this bad weather we have been having, it was a pleasure to get out today with my shooting buddy and hes a ripe old age of 75 and loves his shooting,

it started last night when I was getting my gear ready, I had a few sticks that where looking sorry for themselves and because we were shooting over long grass I decided to make some new ones,

I had a few fibreglass tent sticks spare so stripped the broken wooden ones down and took the springs off, I then put the springs on the longer fibreglass sticks and with some heat shrink tubing put them on,

the new sticks to put the decoys on where 3 x the length of the original wooden ones and I have to say even impressed myself making them to the point where I even showed the wife how well I had done (no dirty comments boys ha ha) see pics below

newlongsticks001_zps6fc10a79.jpg

newlongsticks002_zpsd1d810b6.jpg

anyway, we arrived when it was just breaking daylight and set up the pigeon decoys straight away, even my shooting bud said they looked good standing proud above the grass and loads of movement from them also,

but would they work,,, well after 10 mins the first pigeon came screaming past with the wind behind him, I shot ,,,I missed,,, then another bang and there was the pigeon dropping with a thud into the ground,,my buddy had hit it no problem,,2 mins later another one came in this time it was even faster,,bang,,,bang,,,I missed again ,I could not believe it,,then a single bang again and yes my buddy dropped that one too,,,

I could hear him laughing in his hide,to my annoyance lol,

1/2 an hour went past and nothing came so I decided to pour myself a coffee and just as I was pouring it 2 rooks came over, I was picking my shotgun up when bang,,,bang,,, and yes two rooks crashed to the ground,

my god its 4-0 I said to myself, I better knuckle down,

the birds kept coming in ones and two,s for a couple of hours and I must say I don't think I,ve seen birds ever fly so fast and jink about in the wind so much,

I really struggled with them today but in the end we had 17 pigeon(15 picked) and 5 rooks and guess what yes I won 11=9

it truely was a challenging day , and it was made even more special being out with my old shooting buddie, he loved it,, but I still won the next breakfast lol

roughshootingwithles003_zps42c91f31.jpg

roughshootingwithles001_zps668d31c9.jpg

a truely great day in difficult weather with great company

atb Evo

Good on you for getting out and having a go.Bet the dog has seen a few good days out by the look of it. :good:

its my shooting buddy,s dog,,(millie)

she was a fully trained springer that became a family pet(couch potato) lol.she was so overweight it was unreal she looked like a beer barrel with feet and hadn,t worked for 4years, so this season my buddy decided it was time to get her back to fitness again oh and himself lol.

we take her on the beating line a minimum of 3 times a week since the start of the season and she has been on a strict diet also,

she is now half the weight she was 4 1/2 months ago but still needs to loose more, but have to say can she still work??? she certainly can,she picked every bird today and even got two out of the field behind us so she hasn,t lost any of her ability to work as a gundog and it has amazed me as she has not done it for 4 yrs but doesn,t stop and loves it,

when he takes her beating it makes us laugh as when the ducks need lifting shes the first one to dive in the lake when sent in and always the last one out, she certainly puts all the younger fitter dogs to shame,

just goes to show,,,YOU CAN,T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER,, but more importantly Les my shooting bud who owns her loves her to bits and wont go anywhere without her

atb Evo

good pics and good write up bob,fair play to you,good day had by all and your mate looks good for 75

atb dave

thanks dave, hes a smashing guy and has been shooting for over 50yrs, his knowledge is unreal, he has forgotten more than I know but most importantly he,s great company to be out with and a laugh a minute with his old shooting stories,

atb Evo