When is the right time to PTS?

Millomite

I think my old lab is on his way out, he’ll be fifteen in May and is/was my first dog, so I’ve never had to make a decision on when the right time is.

His back legs are starting to go and give way and he is finding it increasingly more difficult to get in and out of his bed. That coupled with the fact he can no longer control his bowels or bladder is making me seriously think about when the right time is.

I have to wash him and his bed twice a day because he inevitably lies in his own waste, which for a dog that used to not even pee in his run, makes me think that it could be the right time.

The hardest part is that he still looks happy, although when asking him to come for a short walk, he heads back towards his bed.

As he’s my first dog, it’s hard for me to make the call, and I know its best to do it too early rather than too late, but how do you decide in these kind of situations?

Sorry to say , I would think he has already reached his time , just ask if you would be happy laying in your waste ?.

15 years is a good innings for a lab , its always a horrible decision to make but one that is aways better being made too soon than too late .

Spoil him rotten for a day and get him to the vets.

Sorry but that's the way I see it .

Edited by fenboy

I know its a hard decission its never a easy one no matter how many dogs you have had.

But i would say its his time to be let free.

The way i look at it is if it was me would i want to be kept alive.

Its not doing your dog any favours.

All the best and thoughts will be with you.

as has been said if you have a good vet be guided by them.

we lost a bitch several years ago around the same age, we came home one day and the way she looked at me from her bed said it was time as she would of normaly greeted us but just lay here that day as if she'd had enough.

hard decision to make but one im sure you will do whats best for the dog.

Been in an identical position. Turning point came for me, when i went downstairs to find him in great distress, and he growled at me (completely out of charecter), at that point i knew my dog had gone. Dad held on for a week or two, but then relented.

Sounds like you love that dog, and i believe you will do the right thing by him.

Aled

Edited by Aled

I don't envy you at all.

as others have said, it sounds like the time.

at the end of August last year I had to take the heart breaking decision to have my best mate

(springer spaniel) Jimmy PTS just short of his 16th birthday.

the decision was made a little easier when me and the mrs looked through old holiday video's and a life time of photos

we both agreed he had had a good life.

we now have another bundle of joy in our life, 5mnth old cocker spaniel

he isn't a replacement for jimmy because that isn't possible, but he is my new best mate, and brings a smile to my face every day.

good luck

This is something I found when I had to make the decision not so long ago, I hope it helps

May I Go?
I’ve lived my life and done my best, an example I tried to be.
So can I take that step beyond and set my spirit free?

I didn’t want to go at first, I fought with all my might.
But something seems to draw me near to a warm and
loving light.

I want to go. I really do. It’s difficult to stay.
But I will try as best I can to live just one more day.

To give you time to care for me and share your love and
fears. I know you’re sad and so afraid, because I see your tears.

I’ll not be far, I promise that, and hope you’ll always know,
that my spirit will be close to you, wherever you may go.

Thank you so for loving me. You know I love you too.
That’s why it’s hard to say good-bye and end this life with you.

So hold me now, just one more time and let me hear you
say, because you care so much for me, you’ll let me go
today.

I think my old lab is on his way out, he’ll be fifteen in May and is/was my first dog, so I’ve never had to make a decision on when the right time is.

His back legs are starting to go and give way and he is finding it increasingly more difficult to get in and out of his bed. That coupled with the fact he can no longer control his bowels or bladder is making me seriously think about when the right time is.

I have to wash him and his bed twice a day because he inevitably lies in his own waste, which for a dog that used to not even pee in his run, makes me think that it could be the right time.

The hardest part is that he still looks happy, although when asking him to come for a short walk, he heads back towards his bed.

As he’s my first dog, it’s hard for me to make the call, and I know its best to do it too early rather than too late, but how do you decide in these kind of situations?

Hi Milomite

Yesterday, don't let him suffer any more

Geordie

It's never an easy decision to make, I lost one of my GWP's to cancer last year and I knew it was time when he didn't want to go out for a walk and spent most of the day just lying in his bed and couldn't find the energy to get up and have a play.

As someone said earlier, a day early is better than a day late.

This is something I found when I had to make the decision not so long ago, I hope it helps

May I Go?

I’ve lived my life and done my best, an example I tried to be.

So can I take that step beyond and set my spirit free?

I didn’t want to go at first, I fought with all my might.

But something seems to draw me near to a warm and

loving light.

I want to go. I really do. It’s difficult to stay.

But I will try as best I can to live just one more day.

To give you time to care for me and share your love and

fears. I know you’re sad and so afraid, because I see your tears.

I’ll not be far, I promise that, and hope you’ll always know,

that my spirit will be close to you, wherever you may go.

Thank you so for loving me. You know I love you too.

That’s why it’s hard to say good-bye and end this life with you.

So hold me now, just one more time and let me hear you

say, because you care so much for me, you’ll let me go

today.

I'm not as hard as I thought I was, that made me cry!

I had to say goodbye to my dog last year, was the hardest thing I had to do. It's not about us left behind, they give us such joy we owe it to them

not to suffer. speak to your vet, take his/her advise. They can even come to your home to carry it out. All the best.

I really feel for you mate had to put 2dogs down in 2 months my 15year old springer chancer what a great pal he was started to lose the use of his legs he looked at me one morning and i knew and Pepsi the wifes yorkie 19 yrs if just gave up after chancer went would not eat or get out of his bed

it is hardest things you will have to do if you don't do it you will only question your self after

my thoughts are with you

PS 2years later i have a 15 week old cocker and hear we go again don't be without a dog for long it does help