rimfire4969

I don't really 'get' the point of key safes to be honest. If it's on view then it advertises there's something worth having inside; if it's not on view then why not simply hide a single key anywhere within the boundary of the premises; loads of places to choose from rather than one single location which if discovered may as well have a sign above it saying 'Keys in Here'. A key is much easier to hide than a key safe. But that's just me, each to their own.

Have a mate who keeps a sturdy but empty key safe near the location of his gun cabinets, in plain view; his reasoning being would be burglars will spend precious time trying to break into it rather than his cabinets, and if they're successful they're still no nearer to getting into the cabinets.

Have a mate who keeps a sturdy but empty key safe near the location of his gun cabinets, in plain view; his reasoning being would be burglars will spend precious time trying to break into it rather than his cabinets, and if they're successful they're still no nearer to getting into the cabinets.

Nice one. Hadn't though of this before! :)

I think that the best thing to do is get a small jar with a screw top and hid it under a stone in the garden not in the obvious place by the door but somewhere that only you now where it is mind you I did this once and forgot where I put it I never did find that key strange that it was not in a jar just under a stone but which stone dam it :whistling: .

This is supposed to be an insurance approved keysafe

https://keysafe.co.uk/product/93/c500-keysafe

But, tbh I don't like the idea of leaving keys outside - the mastersafe keysafe can be opened by one hammer blow.

SD

These are good and as stated insurance approved, plus the only one that carries a Police Approval certificate.

I've used these before and they're pretty good, £19.99 from Screwfix.

Still best to keep it hidden cause if someone really wants to break them it doesn't matter what you put your keys in.

Good luck

My thoughts on one of these is why not just put a keypad type lock on your front door in the first place then you would not need to hide the keys just a thought.

Key safes are invaluable for carers and emergency services where vulnerable residents may not be able to answer the door. Fitted dozens and never heard of one being tampered with.

My dad who is terminally ill has one outside for the very reason digger says. You can set the code yourself and is very sturdy. Good essential item.

Still best to keep it hidden cause if someone really wants to break them it doesn't matter what you put your keys in.

Good luck

I have two of these and they are very strong and secure. Only £24 from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004124YFA/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are good and as stated insurance approved, plus the only one that carries a Police Approval certificate.

This looks like the one, it will be well hidden away and those who might need it will know where to look.

Most of the rental properties I have stayed in in the US have the keys in one of these type boxes next to the door. Never heard of any problems with them.

This looks like the one, it will be well hidden away and those who might need it will know where to look.

Most of the rental properties I have stayed in in the US have the keys in one of these type boxes next to the door. Never heard of any problems with them.

The only problem is that any potential thief knows exactly where to find the key.

We have five safes in the house, guess which contains spare keys. No spare safe keys for any safes on our premises. I had reason to force open a good safe a few months back made by Yale and I have to say it was far better made than many. 5 mins tops with a lump hammer and cold chisel, trick is is putting a safe were it is hard to find and difficult to work on. Keys in gardens invariably corrode or get forgotten about

Its a darn site easier to smash a window for entry than it is knock a key safe off a wall and then get into it. Given most burglaries are opportunist and the burglar wants in and out asap cant see them standing around for five mins making loud mettalic clangs

Good luck

We've got one of these hidden in a really awkward place that would be difficult to find let alone get at with a jemmy.

It could be under a loose board in the corner of a shed and drilled to the concrete base for example :lol:

As has been said, it would be easier and quieter putting in the front door or the French doors :lol:

And then there's still the red care alarm :lol:

It's convenience for the 1 time a year you might lock yourself out

Edited by Mungler