Choke choice

Davyo

I personally cant see the point in using a heavier gram and larger shot cartridge when the smaller and lighter loads give clean kills out over the decoy pattern.

If your only going to shoot close decoying pigeons, then clay cartridges are fine.

The choice of cartridge and choke should be determined by the rage you expect to shoot your quarry.

If your only going to shoot close decoying pigeons, then clay cartridges are fine.

The choice of cartridge and choke should be determined by the rage you expect to shoot your quarry.

Yes i agree, i always prefer close shooting as its a result of my fieldcraft working to the best in getting them in close.

Although i would have to say i do upsize on shot size to a number 6 when after the corvids as no matter how clever i am with my fieldcraft they never come in real close, probably because they are clever and cautious birds but then it just makes it even more of a challanged to get them in!!!

I have said it many, many times before, but clay cartridges are good for more than just close birds. I've killed several pigeons at between 50 and 60 yards with them recently.

I have said it many, many times before, but clay cartridges are good for more than just close birds. I've killed several pigeons at between 50 and 60 yards with them recently.

I feel at the moment in time as im still quite new to the world of pigeon decoying im keeping the ranges close but im hoping to be able to be hitting them out to the ranges like you have been!!! But then saying that i have been confidently smashing clays up at the club at quite long ranges!!! mmmmmm think i need to try it out up farm tommorrow maybe ive been kidding myself too long!

Will report my findings on my return home, ****** best i get me *** upto the shop and get a case of power blues . . . . hate running out when things heat up in field!!

Iv used clay cartridges too, also had several killed at range, but had MANY more pricked/ walking wounded....

Iv dramatically reduced this by using cartridges designed to kill birds, and do the job consistently.

Of course smaller shot or calibers will "do the job" but I prefer to use and recommend to others, using the right tools for the right job........ A rimfire will kill a deer.

Edited by chrispti

Iv used clay cartridges too, also had several killed at range, but had MANY more pricked/ walking wounded....Iv dramatically reduced this by using cartridges designed to kill birds, and do the job consistently.Of course smaller shot or calibers will "do the job" but I prefer to use and recommend to others, using the right tools for the right job........ A rimfire will kill a deer .... Maybe the MOD could save millions by issuing rimfires, they are more than capable of killing a man.

I prefer to use 6's personally in 12gauge,I also like to use 19 gram6's in .410 gauge which I consider to be as effective as a 12gauge at closer ranges.

I do understand concerns of smaller gauges but they are very effective at keeping noise levels down in some circumstances.

I also use a 28 gauge with 24gram 6's which gives me cleaner kills than my 12gauge.

My friend who sometimes shoots with me, has a single barrel, Rossi 12g, ejector, that he uses Eley 21g to great effect.

And that's got a "full choked barrel". He can reload so quickly its a blur. :ninja:. I cant hit 'jack' with it'

Its not the gun he wants to own, but a costly divorce left him skint.

Iv used clay cartridges too, also had several killed at range, but had MANY more pricked/ walking wounded....

Iv dramatically reduced this by using cartridges designed to kill birds, and do the job consistently.

Of course smaller shot or calibers will "do the job" but I prefer to use and recommend to others, using the right tools for the right job........ A rimfire will kill a deer.

There is no such thing as the 'right tool' as far as shot sizes are concerned, and the rimfire and deer comparison is way over the top. An ounce of no.7 in the correct hands is easily as lethal as 32gm of no.6.

I wouldn't use clay loads if they didn't do the job and every time I buy some 32gm no.6 shells I can not tell the difference in kills, only an increase in recoil.

• 3 months later...

Forget choke size what about gauge. over standing grain when birds are pitching into the beaten down patches try a 410 you tend to let them come in closer they drop in or near the pattern so no stomping around the standing crop looking for those 50yrd runners making more holes than the birds its great fun and when its stubble time your eye will be well in like playing a few frames of snooker before your pool match but as for choke size in 12 gauge i use whatever size is on the end of the gun i find second knuckle of middle finger the perfect size but it does alter with age

i find second knuckle of middle finger the perfect size but it does alter with age

:yes: Found this amusing as I have long thin (elegant?) fingers and use full; mate has Cumberland sausage fingers and uses 1/4. It's to be hoped he doesn't put on any more weight or he will be down to skeet.